My feedback so far for XnConvert

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

budz45
XnThusiast

My feedback so far for XnConvert

Post by budz45 »

Hi,

XnConvert development coming along fine. I don't have much need for a batch image converter but XnConvert would definitely come in handy for when I do.

Right, I wanted to leave these suggestions;

Ok, I realized the settings are stored in xnconvert.ini is in the Windows AppData folder. Just that I'm used to the ini being in the program folder.

1.) ...So There could be a window dialog prompt on first ever program launch to ask the user where settings can be saved, with the choice of these two "program folder (portable)" or "Installation (AppData folder)"

2.) Where is the 'Display' toggle button like what is seen in Xnview MP's browser?? I want to have the option to switch to a 'details' view in the file "Input" tab and not use thumbnails. Thumbnails is ok though.

3.) Where is the Windows 'minimize' button? Could this be added so that I can minimize XnConvert to the taskbar

4.) An option to minimize XnConvert to the system tray would be nice.

5.) I hope you plan on adding an "Options"/"Settings" tab - which would house lot's of program settings for a user to configure. For space on this window you could use sub-tabs.
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: My feedback so far for XnConvert

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote: 1.) ...So There could be a window dialog prompt on first ever program launch to ask the user where settings can be saved, with the choice of these two "program folder (portable)" or "Installation (AppData folder)"
ok
2.) Where is the 'Display' toggle button like what is seen in Xnview MP's browser?? I want to have the option to switch to a 'details' view in the file "Input" tab and not use thumbnails. Thumbnails is ok though.
Check TODO :)
3.) Where is the Windows 'minimize' button? Could this be added so that I can minimize XnConvert to the taskbar
Must be added
4.) An option to minimize XnConvert to the system tray would be nice.
Yes too
5.) I hope you plan on adding an "Options"/"Settings" tab - which would house lot's of program settings for a user to configure. For space on this window you could use sub-tabs.
which settings?
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Thanks for all replies and agreeing with my replies
xnview wrote:
which settings?
Ok, I thought that additional program settings might be needed as are in XnView MP's 'options' - but I guess I was wrong :)

It is also a good thing on how XnConvert remembers last window size & position on screen. Nice.

Right, here is a 6th request:

6.) Please add support for the keyboard key 'Del' for removing images in the file list. Please add support for other 'standard' keyboard keys in other areas of the program where necessary, thank you.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Right, furthermore I would like:

7.) Next to the 'remove' there needs to be a 'clear all' button. I know a user could just highlight/select all manually and then just press 'remove' in that fashion. However a one-click 'clear all' button would be the most fastest. Perhaps a tiny button with no text name, just red 'remove' icon.

8.) window title name from 'batch convert' change to--> 'Done! - XnConvert' OR try '[Finished]'

9.) When I drag n drop multiple image files onto the xnconvert.exe , I would like the immediate focus view to be on the 'input tab' instead of 'actions' tab. If necessary then a setting to control this (which tab gets focused on).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote: 6.) Please add support for the keyboard key 'Del' for removing images in the file list. Please add support for other 'standard' keyboard keys in other areas of the program where necessary, thank you.
You have already it
7.) Next to the 'remove' there needs to be a 'clear all' button. I know a user could just highlight/select all manually and then just press 'remove' in that fashion. However a one-click 'clear all' button would be the most fastest. Perhaps a tiny button with no text name, just red 'remove' icon.
Ok
8.) window title name from 'batch convert' change to--> 'Done! - XnConvert' OR try '[Finished]'
ok
9.) When I drag n drop multiple image files onto the xnconvert.exe , I would like the immediate focus view to be on the 'input tab' instead of 'actions' tab. If necessary then a setting to control this (which tab gets focused on).
A previous thread was about this behavior, and better is to open directly on actions...
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:
budz45 wrote: 6.) Please add support for the keyboard key 'Del' for removing images in the file list. Please add support for other 'standard' keyboard keys in other areas of the program where necessary, thank you.
You have already it
Yes :P I requested it back at the time when it did not exist then. Thank you for it.

-----------------------------------

10.) XnConvert v1.10 beta - small UI improvement... Maybe you could change it from currently this;
#2[probably improvement]: Screenshot of output GUI of XnConvert v1.10 beta
#2[probably improvement]: Screenshot of output GUI of XnConvert v1.10 beta
1.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
..To maybe better as this;
screenshot of output GUI of XnConvert v1.10 beta
screenshot of output GUI of XnConvert v1.10 beta
2.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
:mrgreen:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote:
1.png
Yes, i'm not sure that output choice is good on the top, not sure that #2 is better...
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:
budz45 wrote:
1.png
not sure that #2 is better...
Ok move the 'destination' choice thing from the right to the left in my #2 picture but still kept inside menu circle, would that be better then?
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Hi again Pierre,

Thank you for "XnConvert' OR try '[Finished]" window title after conversion.

I think I could suggest these simple two:

11.) Reset window title to default after converting - for this, I would suggest that a user could click on any of the other tabs ('input', 'actions', 'output' or 'about') and then this would reset the window title back to default window title :) It's a use would be better visually show to the user that XnConvert is ready for more conversion sessions rather than always displaying "finished" all the time.

12.) A tickbox setting in the "output" tab called 'Clear all file items in input' - if enabled this would simply auto-remove all images in the "input" tab after each/any conversion finished. I made it here; http://i55.tinypic.com/2rfaoti.png :)

Also remember:
budz45 wrote: 2.) Where is the 'Display' toggle button like what is seen in Xnview MP's browser?? I want to have the option to switch to a 'details' view in the file "Input" tab and not use thumbnails. Thumbnails is ok though.
Thumb toggle icon 16x16 icon size.
Last edited by budz45 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

And small text correction of:
2011-06-23_141152.png
2011-06-23_141152.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Just a small text fix:
Toolbar icons from mezich (no use without authorization)
Logo & app icon from thibaud