FTP not working with ...

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ouistiti

FTP not working with ...

Post by ouistiti »

Can someone get the new F T P tool working behind a router, an ADSL connection and a firewall ?

- Let's notice that here the firewall doesn't matter, it's not even warned, impossible to make the connection…
- A test version Pierre made has a log-file now, but nothing is reported into :(
- Original French thread HERE

Thanks for eventual feedback !

Regards

Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Drahken

Post by Drahken »

I'm on dsl, have a gateway device (router/modem combo), and use windows firewall. The FTP plugin works fine for me.
Clo
XnThusiast

*A*DSL

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Drahken

:) Hello !

• It doesn't work for me either, like Paul I've an ADSL connection behind a modem¦router (+ZoneAlarm).
- Two different main providers and locations…
- Both under XP-Pro, SP2 (Paul) and SP1 (myself)

• F T P works quite fine here from the built-in client of Total Commander, I use it daily for ages.

• If you updated the F T P library, it should be nice that you show us a chunk of the log file
which is created now - in the AddOn sub-directory.
- Here, that log file stays hopelessly empty… Image

TIA !

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Nearly all dsl these days is Adsl (including mine).

My log just shows 3 lines after uploading:
220 Serv-U FTP Server v6.2 for WinSock ready...
331 User name okay, need password.
230 User logged in, proceed.
Clo
XnThusiast

WinSock ?

Post by Clo »

—> Drahken

:) Hello !

• Thank you !

- However, that's not very verbose… Just to compare, please give a glance on a log report
from the Total Commander F T P client I showed HERE
- It's possible to set an optional short log too (another file) in the style :
Connect to: (02/04/2007 06:14:42)
hostname=perso-ftp.orange.fr
Connect ok!
Copied (02/04/2007 06:15:01): E:\Site-Wanadoo\xnv\fra\img_tools\curseur_deplacer.png -> ftp://perso-ftp.orange.fr/xnv/fra/img_t ... placer.png 297 bytes, 3.9 kibibytes/s
and so on…
• A friend very competent at F T P thingies tested too yesterday at night, he got the connection under Win 2K,
but once only, a second call hangs the tool with the same error messages we get always.
- I hope he'll post here (seems away for the week-end…)
• Finally, I don't miss the function itself, but that prevents us to update the Manual, and this is very annoying… :|

Claude
Clo
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

:arrow: Drahken

Please, could you show a F T P box before sending an image ? Just disguise the private info, like usual…

- Nothing is documented, and I tried all possible syntaxes, nope, even with nine new tests today to different servers, still the errors “(0)” or “(183)”

TIA

Regards

Paul

helmut

Post by helmut »

I haven't got the FTP plugin installed and don't know if there is a setting active/pasive mode. If yes, the following may be the answer to the problems you experience:

Standard: Active FTP connection
During a normal (=active) FTP connection, the client opens a port and "tells" the FTP server its IP address and port number for the FTP connection. The server replies to the address and port suggested by the client. For clients which are behind a router or firewall the active FTP connection will not work because the server won't be able to reach the client using the suggested address and/or port due to NAT (network address translation).

Passive FTP connection behind routers and firewalls
To solve this issue, there's the passive FTP connection (passive mode). Here the client connects the server and the server tells the client which port it should use for the FTP connection. The client initiates all connections, so this will work even behind a router and firewall (given that the firewall allows the FTP program to use the appropriate port).

More details on the active and passive mode can be found in the web, e.g. Wikipedia. Perhaps it's also a good idea to check with a real FTP program whether connection works and then try with XnView.

Edit:
Ooops! Looking briefly at the French discussion I can see that you use passive mode, already.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Did not make too much sense to post here without the FTP addon installed. After handling some issues (including installation to subfolder "AddOn" - not "PlugIns"), the FTP using XnView does work.

I've used the following FTP connection entries:

To remote Host: <my servername> (e.g. sehen-denken-heilen.de)
Username: <my FTP username> (e.g. u2061)
Password: <my FTP password> (e.g. ****** ;-) )
Directory: <my accessible subdirectory> (e.g. htdocs)

The error codes are really not very helpful. I've provocated various error szenarios, from what I can see the error codes have the following meanings:
12002: Server did not respond (wrong port)
12003: Could not write file (No permission to write file or specified directory is invalid)
12007: Could not connect to server (wrong server name or IP address)
12014: User or password invalid
12029: Could not connect to server (technical problem with connection)

EDIT:
From what I can see, Pierre uses the WinInet API. A description of error codes is provided by Microsoft:
193625 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193625/EN-US/) INFO: WinInet Error Codes (12001 through 12156)
Last edited by helmut on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Works for me in both passive & regular modes, overwriting an existing file, sending one or more than one image at a time. Hell, I even used the plugin to upload this screenshot. ;)

You know.... This is sounding very similar to the problem I have with the email plugin.

I wonder if zone alarm is causing your problem? It's a powerful program, but that very power can make it problematic sometimes. Try going into the programs/access screen, adding xnview if it's not already there, and giving it access for both server & client and for both trusted & internet zones, see if that clears up the problem.
Clo
XnThusiast

Mystery and gums…

Post by Clo »

—> helmut

:) Hi !
…The error codes are really not very helpful. …
• In the case, they are even not helpful at all, because according to the M$ article you quote,
it seems they don't stand for Win XP…
- But indeed, that M$ tells is not “words of the Book” (it's not gospel) always… I had examples !
- Here, I don't get errors in that range, but always either as below :

or as the same, but with (0). Still nothing written in the log file.
…Ooops! Looking briefly at the French discussion I can see that you use passive mode, already.
• Yes, it's the first thing we requested, and Pierre added that support.
Generally, it solves a large part of the connections issues, but not for us here, alas.
- The competent friend I quoted above and I performed a series of tests yesterday at night :

1. While trying to send a file with XnView, there is not any F T P protocol running¦active.
This can be saw from a command-line >> cmd >> netstat command.

2. In the same situation, using the CurrPorts 1.11 utility, I don't see any port used¦open by¦for XnView.

3. Tests to his personal TypSoft F T P server failed from XnView (active or passive mode, no matter which),
and were successful from the TC built-in F T P client…
- He thinks that the codes of the plugin-DLL might be parsed¦optimized carefully,
in order it works with any hardware configuration.
He said that he could help Pierre at that.
----------------------------------

—> Drahken
…You know.... This is sounding very similar to the problem I have with the email plugin.
• Yes, it is.
…I wonder if zone alarm is causing your problem? …
• Apparently, no. Today, in the last test I performed just a moment ago, I could get the ZoneAlarm prompt
- that didn't occur before- GOK why…
- Despite I allowed the access, then the file was not sent : The progress bars box remained for a good while
( ~ 20 seconds), the bars stayed as grayed out, then the error message above appeared.
- I'm using the gratis (freeware) French home version, a lot of settings are missing in it,
so there is no way to state a certain programme.
- The permission box is displayed automatically when a new programme attempts to reach
the Internet and secure zone, no more…
« Mystery and gums », like late my Grandma said…:P

Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

:arrow: Pierre

The new test version of today finally works for me ! :D

But...

1° The dir must be ended by a slash (/), maybe the programme could add this slash if the last character of the string is not a slash
2° The log file is too simple...
3° The log file only remember the last connection... Each new connection removes the previous one, that isn't a normal log.
4° The password is not remembered at all... for security I suppose... why not crypted ? That's very annoying…

Friendly

Paul

Clo
XnThusiast

Timeout !

Post by Clo »

:) Hello Paul !

• It works also here, but not with all servers !

- In the tests we performed to your own F T P server, that works, the server is fast to connect (PORT mode).
- Small or big images are sent OK.

- But I can't succeed to connect my remote dirs. @ Orange, probably because the server is very slow to connect
(passive mode needed), even in TC (where it doesn't matter, TC-FTP waits for the needed time…).
- I get an error message (12007) after a delay like above. However, I noticed that a very small image was sent although,
but still with that error message at the end !

- It seems a timeout issue, so a configurable timeout should solve the problem (according to a competent friend's advice).
- Maybe simply an entry in «XPFT.ini» could do the trick for the tests ?

¤ Else : I confirm and agree your four points, plus : an "End of transfer…" (or so) message is missing,
eventually giving the amount of bytes¦KiB¦MiB transferred alright.
- It's also necessary to close the F T P dialogue to resend the same image, otherwise all freezes…

• Aside, still no “dynamic” entries in the menus when using a French corrected language-DLL…
I hope that Pierre'll have a look to that, he has the stuff for a while… Image

:mrgreen: Friendly,
Claude
Clo
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Timeout !

Post by xnview »

Clo wrote: • It works also here, but not with all servers !
Good news :-)
- But I can't succeed to connect my remote dirs. @ Orange, probably because the server is very slow to connect
(passive mode needed), even in TC (where it doesn't matter, TC-FTP waits for the needed time…).
- I get an error message (12007) after a delay like above. However, I noticed that a very small image was sent although,
but still with that error message at the end !
- It seems a timeout issue, so a configurable timeout should solve the problem (according to a competent friend's advice).
Ok, i'll check...
- It's also necessary to close the F T P dialogue to resend the same image, otherwise all freezes…
You must close each time the dialog??? Paul you have this behaviour too?
Pierre.
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

No, here : no need to close the FTP dialogue !