Information display in fullscreen mode shows garbage

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

klapperstorch

Information display in fullscreen mode shows garbage

Post by klapperstorch »

On a screen with 1280x1024 pixels (proportion 5:4), displaying an image with proportion 4:3 in fullscreen mode, produces black bars on top and bottom of images because of the differing screen proportions. That's OK.
I configured fullscreen mode to display information, e.g. IPTC:headline, within the black bar at the bottom (text setting: position = Bottom Center).
Now: when an image with a short text follows an image that had a long text displayed, some of the previous text is still visible as garbage before and after the new, shorter text.
The described effect appears only when I change to full screen mode from the IMAGE-VIEW mode. When going to fullscreen mode immediately from the BROWSER window, then the problem does not show up.
Also, the problem does not show up when the displayed text is within the image, i.e. when screen and image proportions are the same, or when I choose another text position that lies within the image.
Also in slide show the problem does not occur.

klapperstorch
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Information display in fullscreen mode shows garbage

Post by xnview »

Could you post a screenshot? Do you use the 1.95?
Pierre.
klapperstorch

Post by klapperstorch »

xnview wrote:Could you post a screenshot? Do you use the 1.95?
Pierre, I don't know how to post a screenshot here except by a URL, but I have no webserver where I could deposit the file.
Instead, I'm going to send you an email to removed with sample images (which you may use to reproduce the error) and a screenshot image.
I'm using XnView 1.95 on a Windows XP SP2 system. But the problem existed already with previous XnView versions. Only, I seem to remember that the garbage was before AND after the short text. Now, with 1.95, I can see it only before, but not after. (But maybe, I'm confusing something.)

Regards, klapperstorch

<Moderator's note: Mail address has been removed - please see Rules and Guidelines>
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

You can upload your screenshot to http://imageshack.us/ , or http://imagevenue.com/ for example. It's free, no registration is required.

Back to your problem. Please paste the exact information you are using here.
Dreamer
klapperstorch

Mail address removed

Post by klapperstorch »

<Moderator's note: Mail address has been removed - please see Rules and Guidelines>

Sorry. I thought there is no problem to post the mail address here, since it is also shown on the XnView website.
klapperstorch

Post by klapperstorch »

Dreamer wrote:You can upload your screenshot to http://imageshack.us/ , or http://imagevenue.com/ for example. It's free, no registration is required.

Back to your problem. Please paste the exact information you are using here.
Thanks. I'm sending the images to imageshack.us.
Here they are:

Image 1 with long display text:

Image 2 with short display text:

These images contain the IPTC:headline data necessary to reproduce the problem. To save space I have reduced the size of these images. The original size is 2816x2112 pixels. But the problem can also be reproduced with the small-size images.

Here is the screenshot of the bottom of the image with the garbage data, taken from a fullscreen-display of the 2816x2112 pixels images, hence only a small black bar at the bottom:
It should only show "short text". The "long text long text ...." is a remainder from the previous image.

klapperstorch
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I can't confirm this problem in any fullscreen mode, but I'm using Windows Vista and my monitor AR is 16:10.
Dreamer
klapperstorch

Post by klapperstorch »

Dreamer wrote:I can't confirm this problem in any fullscreen mode, but I'm using Windows Vista and my monitor AR is 16:10.
I don't think that the screen vs image proportions are of importance, as long as the image does not cover the entire screen, and the text display is outside the image. It seems to be a redraw problem of that part of the screen that is not within the image.

In Windows Vista the interface between XnView and the graphic engine (or whatever it is called) is probably different from Windows XP. So the problem may not occur there.

However, it is such a minor flaw, and I don't want anybody to waste too much time on it. I can avoid the problem by invoking fullscreen display directly from the browser window and have not this garbage on screen.
I just thought I should mention it.

Regards, klapperstorch
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

It's a bug and it should be definitely fixed, if possible IMO.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

OK, I think I can reproduce this bug now, but perhaps it's not exactly the same...

My screen resolution is 1680x1050, AR 16:10, image AR 4:3 - using Fit image to window, large only. To reproduce go to image with long name / information - longer than image width, then to image with name / info shorter than image width.

ImageImage
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please try XnView 1.96 beta
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

"My" bug has been fixed in beta 1, thanks Pierre.
Dreamer