Constrain selection size to image size

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ddyment

Constrain selection size to image size

Post by ddyment »

I'm a longtime (and happy) user of XnView, and there is only one "problem" that is significantly annoying to my usage. When selecting an area using a fixed selection ratio, the area is not confined to the image, but allowed to "go offscreen". This is a real problem when cropping a series of images to a specific ratio, as one must take great care to ensure that the selection has not inadvertently gone outside the image.

I would like the selection rectangle to be confined to the actual image at all times (or at least have a user-settable option for this behaviour).
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: constrain selection to image

Post by xnview »

Ok, the zoom is not correct when view opened. If you click on '/', all is ok after
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please try XnView 1.96 beta
Pierre.
ddyment

Post by ddyment »

This issue has never really been repaired, even in the current 1.99.5 release.

The problem occurs when making selections using a fixed ratio. While the program prevents the side of the selection rectangle that is being dragged from going "off image", it does not do the same for the other sides.

This behaviour is always annoying, but particularly so when the offending side only goes a little "off image", and is not noticed. So a subsequent crop operation will not produce an image of the correct ratio!

Hope this can be fixed (or made an option) in an upcoming release!

... Doug
helmut

Post by helmut »

ddyment wrote:This issue has never really been repaired, even in the current 1.99.5 release. ...
This is more a bug report than a suggestion. From what I remember the whole thing became buggy when "Set selection size" was added a very long time ago. Since then, this never really worked 100% o.k. :bug: