Problem opening .CDR files...

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Luc

Problem opening .CDR files...

Post by Luc »

I have a huge amount of .CDR pictures I created long long time ago using Corel Draw 3.0. With XNView, I am trying to open them and all I get is thumbnail like format pictures, with no details. Some graphic files, for instance, have text and when opened in XNView, all I see is a small rectangular black box. Below is a comparison of original CDR (Left) and view in XNView (Right) :

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5013 ... iew9sg.jpg

What should I do to open these vector based .CDR?

Luke123
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Problem opening .CDR files...

Post by xnview »

Luke123 wrote:I have a huge amount of .CDR pictures I created long long time ago using Corel Draw 3.0. With XNView, I am trying to open them and all I get is thumbnail like format pictures, with no details. Some graphic files, for instance, have text and when opened in XNView, all I see is a small rectangular black box. Below is a comparison of original CDR (Left) and view in XNView (Right) :

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/5013 ... iew9sg.jpg

What should I do to open these vector based .CDR?

Luke123
XnView can only extract thumbnail from CDR
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

So...what is the idea in being able to only see a thumbnail from pictures?
Who cares about thumbnails.
Shouldn't XNView be able to open completely a file if a conversion is desirable?

Luke123
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:So...what is the idea in being able to only see a thumbnail from pictures?
Who cares about thumbnails.
Shouldn't XNView be able to open completely a file if a conversion is desirable?
Many users want only thumbnail, and XnView doesn't support vector files.
Pierre.
Luc

Post by Luc »

"Many users want only thumbnail, and XnView doesn't support vector files."

Yes, but tell me. What is the use for thumbnails? What are they made for if you can't open them fully up?
Usually a thumbnails is a display of a collection of images, represented as reduced sized graphics that we usually visualize when needed by clicking on them.
So what other "service" can I expect from thumbnails?

Luke123
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Luke123 wrote:"Many users want only thumbnail, and XnView doesn't support vector files."

Yes, but tell me. What is the use for thumbnails? What are they made for if you can't open them fully up?
Usually a thumbnails is a display of a collection of images, represented as reduced sized graphics that we usually visualize when needed by clicking on them.
So what other "service" can I expect from thumbnails?
To organise files for example, and often they use "Open with"
Sorry but CDR is a closed format...
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Luke123 wrote:Yes, but tell me. What is the use for thumbnails? What are they made for if you can't open them fully up?
If you do not use the XnView Browser, you will not know about the benefit of thumbnails. Thumbnails give you a good idea of the image's contents and allow for organzing your images. Sure enough, if you want to edit the images, you have to open them. As Pierre has pointed out, the .cdr format is proprieratary, i.e. no tool other than Corel Draw will be able to open and display it.

So for browsing and managing your CDR images you could use XnView, and when editing you could use XnView as a start platform. See details in FAQ "How can XnView interact with other (graphic) programs?".

Sure enough XnView is not the cure for all use cases, but for many people it works quite well.