Photoshop PSD thumbnail support

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

dunntry

Photoshop PSD thumbnail support

Post by dunntry »

Hi, I find that many PSD thumbnails do not display, or display as lines, or error messages (Windows 10 here). Is this an expected result?

I then installed Ardfry codec and now I can see PhotoShop PSD thumbnails in Windows File Explorer perfectly, but still not in XnviewMP.

I'd like to integrate Ardfry into the Xnview image browser ... is this possible?

BTW, there are also other codecs that display PSD thumbnails correctly, such as FastPictureViewer codec and SageThumbs
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Photoshop PSD thumbnail support

Post by xnview »

could you send me a sample file?
Pierre.
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

Typical results below. Some files do display thumbnails correctly, most do not.
xnv.png
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

xnview wrote:could you send me a sample file?
Why would you need that? My PSD files are like everyone else's. Did you even test this yourself at any stage? :?
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

I suspect the answer to this, for serious users of Photoshop, is to install Adobe Bridge again. Pity, I was hoping to get away from it....
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dunntry wrote:
Why would you need that? My PSD files are like everyone else's. Did you even test this yourself at any stage? :?
i have no problem with my psd files
Pierre.
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

xnview wrote:i have no problem with my psd files
Try saving a few new ones without compatibility. I turn off compatibility because I get smaller files that way.
psd.png
For example, from this page:
Part of the problem ... is that as well as saving your layered PSD, Photoshop adds a hidden flattened layer to your file. This obviously makes the file size bigger which is not good new if you’re saving lots of PSDs.

Here’s a simple example to show you how much bigger the file size can be. Below you can see an image consisting of two layers, brown paper on one layer and text on another, no background layer. What you can see here is the actual size. When I save this with Maximize Compatibility checked the file size is 1.68 MB. When I make a duplicate and save it with a new name and turn off Maximize Compatibility the file size is 0.98 MB. That’s quite a bit of unnecessary bloating when compatibility isn’t really required.
You are only looking for the hidden flattened layer, I suspect. Most professional PS users are the same as me, and will find that your software cannot do the job.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

dunntry wrote:
Why would you need that? My PSD files are like everyone else's.
Not all PSDs are created equal. It's a closed proprietary file format and subject to frequent revisions.
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

So how are you currently creating thumbnails? From an internal thumbnail layer in the file? Is that the "flattened layer" I mention above?
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

And I suppose more relevant here is the PhotoShop Thumbnail resource ("Thumbnail resource format")

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photos ... 7409_74450
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

dunntry wrote:So how are you currently creating thumbnails? From an internal thumbnail layer in the file? Is that the "flattened layer" I mention above?
If XnView cannot “decipher” the layers (because the PSD version is too recent), the embedded “composite image” (flattened preview) is used to create the browser thumbnail. Turning off Photoshop's compatibility option means that the PSD will be saved with the default composite image: “This layered Photoshop file was not saved with a composite image.”
dunntry wrote:Typical results below. Some files do display thumbnails correctly, most do not.

Leo (Directory Opus Resource Centre → [url=http://resource.dopus.com/t/photoshop-file-is-invalid-or-not-a-recognised-picture/2899/8]Photoshop file “is invalid or not a recognised picture…”[/url]) wrote:You'll see this if the file doesn't have a flattened version. The message doesn't come from Opus; it's saved into the image by Photoshop. (The message is the flattened version of the image, so that programs which display the flattened image display the message saying the real flattened image is not there.)

If you instead see a message saying the file "is invalid or not a recognised picture" then please provide a sample image to reproduce the problem.
Samples (from Adobe.com):
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

If XnView cannot “decipher” the layers (because the PSD version is too recent), the embedded “composite image” (flattened preview) is used to create the browser thumbnail.
Those thumbnails you see in my screenshot were created with a pre-2015 version of Photoshop. So are you saying you can only "decipher" Photoshop images from, what, PS version CS3 or CS4?
Turning off Photoshop's compatibility option means that the PSD will be saved with the default composite image: “This layered Photoshop file was not saved with a composite image.”
So you are agreeing with me that Xnview MP will NOT be able to display most thumbnails for most PS users? Because most of us do NOT use compatibility option, for reasons explained.

Do you have any plans to fix this so that you CAN display proper thumbnails, the way Adobe Bridge does?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I'm able to view the thumbnails as well as the layers of my own PSDs and the samples I linked to with XnView.
Pierre (le développeur) would have to take a closer look at (one or two of) your files in order to find out what's going on.

BTW: I'm just a regular user.
dunntry

Post by dunntry »

XnTriq wrote:I'm able to view the thumbnails as well as the layers of my own PSDs and the samples I linked to with XnView.
What version of PS did you use to create those files?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

dunntry wrote:
XnTriq wrote:I'm able to view the thumbnails as well as the layers of my own PSDs and the samples I linked to with XnView.
What version of PS did you use to create those files?
I used Photoshop 6 for many years until CS2 became available for “free”, but I never experienced this kind of issue with newer PSDs either.
XnTriq wrote:
Samples (from Adobe.com):