Exif Date - Date Taken

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

sasko1

Exif Date - Date Taken

Post by sasko1 »

Hello!

I'd like to clarify some things, since I am not sure if I understand.
Example:
I have folder of images, taken with different camaras through the same day and I wanted to have them sorted by "Date Taken". Not sure if "Exif Date" is the same feature, but if I sort by that, it looks normal. It can also be right because I edit images as they were taken and maybe that's why it works.
When I look images in folder via XnViewMP, they are sorted OK. But when I go to view mode and scroll through them, something is not working. Some images are left out of the viewing mode.
Is it possible that this is due fact that they are from different cameras? Although, it shouldn't be the problem. But I noticed that where name of files changes, XnViewMP skips those files, although they are sorted right when I view folder.

For example, I tasted same thing with XnView, and everything works there. The problem with XnView is that with custom ICC porfile, everything is to slow. :( So I don't understand, why MP is causing problems.

Any idea?

Also...I noticed that request for "sort by Date Taken" was on the forum. Was this feature left out from future updates?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Exif Date - Date Taken

Post by xnview »

if you are in sort by name, no problem?
Pierre.
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

In that case, if sort by name, everything is OK. But I don't wan't that, since Images are in that case put in two sections. Need "by date taken" to be working and not interfiered by file name. It's strange.... :-/
Last edited by sasko1 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

I'll meniton again: when previewing folder in Browser mode, everything looks OK, images are sorted OK.
But when I go to Viewer mode and scroll through images, some are skipped. Accidently or not, just in the part when the filename changes. And even that only in one part of folder. Other parts where images are vary from D4s and D75 name, everything is ok. I refreshed folder and nothing changed.

Should I use "update catalog from files"? Not sure, what that feature does...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me a folder with the problem?
Pierre.
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

It's a 6GB folder. A lot of images. :-/
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

I made copy of directory, with just images with problem. Can you give me instructions, how to send files? WeTransfer?

Edit: sending you PM with files! :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

O.k., thank you, I can also reproduce the problem. Issue 1282 is fixed in next version.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.87. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

Great! Can't wait to new version.

Just to mention, found this problem in some other folders too. Somehow does not pick up all files. When you go forward and back a bit, than it goes well.
Let's see 0.87 :) Thanks
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

Tested now version 0'87 and everything looks ok. So I guess it is fixed. :D Me happy!
Will do some more testing in other directories too and inform if something comes up.

Keep up the good work and thank you.
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

Hello, XnView Team

With sadness I must report, that from version 0.88 and now 0.89, this feature is broken again. The browsing with folder sorted "date taken" is not working properly again, if image is taken with different camera. :( Browser skips files created with different camera, although with date order, it should follow the date.

Can you please look into this? Thank you!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

sasko1 wrote: With sadness I must report, that from version 0.88 and now 0.89, this feature is broken again. The browsing with folder sorted "date taken" is not working properly again, if image is taken with different camera. :( Browser skips files created with different camera, although with date order, it should follow the date.

Can you please look into this? Thank you!
could you send me again the folder?
Pierre.
sasko1

Post by sasko1 »

I am correcting my statement. :arrow:

Let me explain

If I use XnViewMP as explorer for folders, everything works OK. So, from XnViewMP view everything is OK.
But If I use Windows explorer for browsing ( I have set that every image opens with XnViewMP ) this order doesn't work, even if I have set images in that folder to be sorted by date taken. Just to clarify, i have the same sorting by date if I open folder with XnViewMP.

Now, I am not 100% sure if this worked in 0.87, but almost sure. Otherwise I'd notice it.

So, the problem is that if I want to view image from Windows explorer with XnViewMP, the order is not right. Is there any chance that XnViewMP would work this way too again? That would remember the folder setting?

Thanks.

PART 2

I tried to use XnViewMP as my old Windows explorer, but I have problem with some feature. I use browser mode not full screen, but would like to open image in Viewer mode, it opens in size as browser mode, not expanded through screen as it would be when browser mode is expanded. Hope you understand what I mean, my English is rubbish. :)
If this is possible, maybe I won't need above solution.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

sasko1 wrote: So, the problem is that if I want to view image from Windows explorer with XnViewMP, the order is not right. Is there any chance that XnViewMP would work this way too again? That would remember the folder setting?
In XnViewMP, the sort is by 'exif date'? XnViewMP doesn't use sorting from windows explorer
Pierre.