[Feature Request] G.I.M.P.'s "Zealous Crop"

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bdragon

[Feature Request] G.I.M.P.'s "Zealous Crop"

Post by bdragon »

Okay, i just understood what Gimp's zealous crop does and i would like to experiment with it on a large scale. Is it possible to implement in XnConvert?

Basically it searches for lines or columns of identical colors inside of the image and removes them, This usually removes whitespaces between panels in a comic (but only for very formulaic comics with vertical and horizontal lines between panels, as it does not seek diagonals) or blank spaces (again vertical and horizontal only) in an image making it "more compact".

It also basically destroys any composition inside the image, so It's not something for people who want to keep the image as it was originally. But it's an interesting feature i'd like to experiment with.

It is mighty useful for those (like me) who find it annoying that after scanning a page of text a single "spec" has stopped cropping the page to a good size and your text is all on one corner because of that single spec (like a clip/fastener/clamp on a corner and such, so not exactly something a noise remover might catch, but it is enough of a something that a quick checking of the images before batch cropping might have missed).

However if it might not be too much i would also like to ask for a bit of customization options, which might turn useful, because while i don't mind it removing the whitespace between paragraphs, i do not like it removing line spacing completely inside the same paragraph.

Let me know if it is possible, i know that for gimp it is very much time consuming, but i'd like to experiment with this feature on a batch scale, and gimp does not allow me to do that.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: [Feature Request] G.I.M.P.'s "Zealous Crop"

Post by xnview »

you have 'auto crop'
Pierre.
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

auto crop just checks the "outside" of the picture. Check the zealous crop.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-zealouscrop.html
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

will be added in next version
Pierre.
bdragon

Post by bdragon »

Looking forward to it. Thanks.
knightdj