Smooth image ahead

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Smooth image ahead

Post by Dreamer »

Option "Smooth image ahead" (for the next and current/prev. image), similar to "Read image ahead". Image ahead, in cache would be in high quality, smoothed and when I switch to that image, there would be no delayed HQ effect, all would be processed in the background.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I support this function (here is a suggestion very similar)... and even believe it should directly be included in the "Read ahead"/"Keep" function.

Olivier
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I agree.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:I support this function (here is a suggestion very similar)... and even believe it should directly be included in the "Read ahead"/"Keep" function.
Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
I believe it could be implemented this way:
- if HQ has to be applied (cf options and image), pre-render HQ in cache
- if HQ hasn't to be applied (cf options and image), don't do HQ
...it shouldn't slow down things this way, and you don't need a new setting to manage HQ & Cache.

Olivier
PS: by the way, what is HQ exactly? Is it a bilinear interpolation? Something else?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:
xnview wrote:Yes, but it will be slower when you view quickly picture...
I believe it could be implemented this way:
- if HQ has to be applied (cf options and image), pre-render HQ in cache
- if HQ hasn't to be applied (cf options and image), don't do HQ
...it shouldn't slow down things this way, and you don't need a new setting to manage HQ & Cache.

Olivier
PS: by the way, what is HQ exactly? Is it a bilinear interpolation? Something else?
Yes bilinear
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:Yes bilinear
Perfect :D ...thank you for the info.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:I support this function (here is a suggestion very similar)... and even believe it should directly be included in the "Read ahead"/"Keep" function.
I don't think so, it should first "read image ahead", then "smooth image ahead", so when I switch to next image between these two steps, image should be shown in normal (not high) quality and HQ should be processed the same way as now - delayed HQ while image is shown in normal quality.

Even if it's not possible, it could be a bit slower (just in some cases), but still better than current delayed HQ, I think.

Edit: If someone wants view images very quickly, hotkey to enable/disable HQ would be very useful, OT, I know, but should be easy to implement...

- Toggle between normal and high quality view - Numpad Del / . or/and Shift+Q

Hotkeys / Shortcuts Request List link.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:
I don't think so, it should first "read image ahead", then "smooth image ahead", so when I switch to next image between these two steps, image should be shown in normal (not high) quality and HQ should be processed the same way as now - delayed HQ while image is shown in normal quality.

Even if it's not possible, it could be a bit slower (just in some cases), but still better than current delayed HQ, I think.
I agree. If things are implemented properly I think that an option "Smooth image ahead" is not needed at all.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Any update about pre-rendering HQ in cache?
(I would love it in addition to this improvement :P )
Olivier
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:Any update about pre-rendering HQ in cache?
(I would love it in addition to this improvement :P )
I don't know yet if i could add this feature...
Pierre.
Just Passing

Post by Just Passing »

Hi, I really hope you manage to implement this. It would be very useful.
(I just posted the same request here (I didn't realise this thread already existed).

To be honest, all I want is a full-screen image viewer that can do HQ preloading. The other XnView features ( e.g. browsing) are just nice extras for me.

Thanks,
Vince.
Just Passing

Post by Just Passing »

Does anyone else find it a bit annoying that the image appears, then a second later the HQ image appears? My wife asks me "why does the picture keep moving?".
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

Just Passing wrote:Does anyone else find it a bit annoying that the image appears, then a second later the HQ image appears? My wife asks me "why does the picture keep moving?".
That behavior is actually controlled by "Use delayed high quality", which is a tradeoff for how fast you want something displayed.
Just Passing

Post by Just Passing »

Yes I know. The whole point of this thread is that "delayed high quality" is unnecessary if the next image is cached as HQ.