a picture problem for help

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

a picture problem for help

Post by Guest »

i shot some pictures,but the birghtness is dark,then i use xnview to turn it a little bight.But when i save the picture,it became very bad.So,who can tell me how to turn the picture the original.Thanks.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

The link to your photo seems to be broken.
Please upload it to ImageShack.us, Photobucket.com, TinyPic.com or any other hosting site of your choice and try to post it again.
andy0618

Post by andy0618 »

sorry,this is the new address.

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

andy0618 wrote:sorry,this is the new address.
Which value do you have in option/Write/jpeg/quality??
Pierre.
andy0618

Post by andy0618 »

i click the adjust button,then xnview automaticaly adjust every values.jpg.write.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hello andy0618 :)

To find out what your JPEG quality settings are go to Tools » Options... » Write » JPEG: Which version of XnView are you running (Info » About...)? The newest release is v1.82.4 (03 Mar 2006).

To my knowledge, there is unfortunately no way to completely reverse-engineer or undo changes made to a photo, especially when saved in JPEG format, because JPEG compression by definition is a lossy process.

I would suggest that you first determine if the original file can be recovered (= un-deleted/un-erased) from the memory card of the camera the picture was taken with.
It's a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73, so we are dealing with Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro, which is supported by most data rescue programs.

If recovery isn't an option or if it doesn't succeed you can try to reduce the artifacts (壓縮比率與不自然痕跡) on the altered/over-compressed image.

To get a sense of the original image quality I extracted the embedded low-res thumbnail with Jhead (jhead.exe -st "th_&i" dsc03037.jpg):
  • Image Image
  • About.com: Graphics Software
  • DataRescue: PhotoRescue – data-recovery solution for digital photography
    PhotoRescue is a totally risk free compact flash, smartmedia, memory stick, XD and SD, microdrive data recovery solution as it does not write to the recovered media. It will show you accurate and reliable previews of the photographs and images that are recoverable. PhotoRescue is able to recover and preview pictures, images, photos and other files on both the Windows and the Mac platform.
  • Lexar Media: Image Rescue – Recapture those lost images
    Battery failure, accidental deletion, even if you accidentally format your memory card; it's not a problem with Lexar's Image Rescue Software. Image Rescue can recover photo files from all forms of memory cards. The result? What once was lost is found again.
  • ZAR: Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery (Freeware)
    Lightweight data-recovery tool specifically designed to recover lost digital camera images.
    • Demo (Flash animation)
  • Convar: PC INSPECTOR smart recovery (Freeware)
    If you have unintentionally deleted or formatted pictures, videos or sound files on your data carrier or have pulled it out during a write operation, no matter – PC INSPECTOR smart recovery can easily, quickly and absolutely reliably reconstruct the lost data.
  • Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery (Freeware)
    Free Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery tool will help you recover images from ALL memory cards, accidentally deleted or formatted or even corrupted memory cards unreadable by Windows!
  • CGSecurity: PhotoRec (Freeware)
    PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost pictures or lost files from digital camera memory (CompactFlash, Memory Stick, SecureDigital, SmartMedia, Microdrive, MMC, USB Memory Drives...), even Hard Disks and CDRom. It works at least with FAT, NTFS, EXT2/EXT3 filesystem even if they are severely damaged. PhotoRec is safe to use, it will never attempt to write to the drive or memory support you are about to recover from. Recovered files are instead written in the directory from where you are running the PhotoRec program.
  • The Plugin Site: JPEG Repairing
  • Jasc/Corel: Paint Shop Pro
    • Tutorial: JPEG Artifact Removal :arrow: Fig.#1
      When an image is saved in .jpg format, compression is used to reduce the file size. If the compression level is too high, artifacts occur in the saved image. Artifacts take on several forms in images, but generally they can be described as a “blotchy look”. Artifacts can often give the appearance of color leakage at the edges of objects in the image. People using digital cameras, who use high compression, will likely find themselves using this feature a lot. In this tutorial we will focus on using the JPEG Artifact Removal feature to improve an image that contains artifacts.
  • Adobe: Photoshop Elements
  • Alien Skin: Image Doctor
    Remove blemishes and defects, repair over-compressed JPEGs, and seamlessly replace unwanted details and objects. Restore, retouch, repair and reclaim your images.
    • Image Doctor Filter: JPEG Repair
      JPEG Repair revitalizes over-compressed JPEGs. Remove blocky compression artifacts while retaining detail and adding grain. Repairs can be made to an entire image or as needed to smaller selections. JPEG repair can be used to repurpose Web graphics and replace lost originals.
  • Aggressive Imaging: UnJPEG – Restore original quality of JPEG compressed images
    UnJPEG is a professional tool, specially designed to help you recover your images, damaged by JPEG compression. UnJPEG performs JPEG artifact and blotchy-look removal, median noise reduction, smooth image resizing, contrast and crispness control.
    Advanced techniques in our product make it possible for you to return JPEG images to their original look, removing the JPEG artifacts and cleaning up the blotchy look. This program is able to recover up to 98% of the original image data of high-quality JPEGs. Even non-restorable heavily compressed images will improve as well – they will not look “scary” anymore and will be suitable for publishing/printing.
  • VicMan: JPEG Enhancer (f/k/a JPEG Fixer)
    “JPEG” is the default data format for digital photos. It is used in all digital cameras and most of the photo editing applications. If you set the image quality not to a 100% (“super-fine”) in order to reduce the disk/memory stick space, your images become blotchy and get ruined with the JPEG artifacts.
    JPEG Enhancer is an advanced application that lets you remove the artifacts and a blotchy look from your images, making them look as if they have been saved at a 100% (“super-fine”) quality. It is based on advanced science-intensive technology that lets you repair images quickly, smoothly and easily.
    If you are a home user, it will help you to improve the quality of your digital photos. It is also a must-have tool for publishers, design studios and web pros, helping you to recover the overcompressed images, supplied by your clients, to make them ready-to-publish and ready-to-print.
  • Topaz Labs: DeJPEG (Freeware)
    A Photoshop plug-in that removes JPEG artifacts and enhances image clarity simultaneously. Its ease of use makes it perfect for everyone while its advanced algorithms achieve the optimal result.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

<!--
@ Moderators:

Would someone please edit
this post to something like...

Code: Select all

sorry,this is the new address.

[url=http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/andy0618/DSC03037.jpg]
[img]http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/andy0618/th_DSC03037.jpg[/img]
[/url]
..., because the large image breaks the thread's layout.

Thank you.
// -->[/i][/color]
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Done. :)
Dreamer
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Dreamer wrote:Done. :)
Thanks a lot, Dreamer! You da man 8)