SE: Shell Extension: Unable to register the DLL/OCX

Guest

SE: Shell Extension: Unable to register the DLL/OCX

Post by Guest »

<Moderator's note: This topic has been split from another topic>

When I use the install program, I get this error:
"C:\Program Files\XnView\ShellEx\XnViewShellExt.dll
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code 0x80040154"

A manual regsitration gives the same error.
I use the search function and I didn't get anything relevant.
Thanx
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34704
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:When I use the install program, I get this error:
"C:\Program Files\XnView\ShellEx\XnViewShellExt.dll
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code 0x80040154"

A manual regsitration gives the same error.
I use the search function and I didn't get anything relevant.
Thanx
Someone with the same error?
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Anonymous wrote:When I use the install program, I get this error:
"C:\Program Files\XnView\ShellEx\XnViewShellExt.dll
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code 0x80040154"

A manual regsitration gives the same error.
I use the search function and I didn't get anything relevant.
Thanx
Someone with the same error?
No, maybe xnview, old ShellEx, or explorer/file manager opened?
Guest

Post by Guest »

Dreamer wrote:No, maybe xnview, old ShellEx, or explorer/file manager opened?
Using another shell extension (MatroskaShellExt), I know I have to be careful and no app, especially explorer, was opened. I tried a registry clean-up but it didn't work either. (WinXp Sp2 up-to-date)
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer »

Anonymous wrote:
Dreamer wrote:No, maybe xnview, old ShellEx, or explorer/file manager opened?
Using another shell extension (MatroskaShellExt), I know I have to be careful and no app, especially explorer, was opened. I tried a registry clean-up but it didn't work either. (WinXp Sp2 up-to-date)
Strange.
ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2449
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Contact:

Post by ckit »

Pierre, will the Final version of XnView Shell Extension 1.4.0.0 be available at the same time as XnView 1.82 Final?
XnView MP 64bits and Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
PhotoFiltre Studio X
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34704
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

ckit wrote:Pierre, will the Final version of XnView Shell Extension 1.4.0.0 be available at the same time as XnView 1.82 Final?
Yes today :-)
Pierre.
ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2449
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Contact:

Post by ckit »

Thanks :)
Guest

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:"C:\Program Files\XnView\ShellEx\XnViewShellExt.dll
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code 0x80040154"
I've found that the missing dll is efsadu.dll, a microsoft encryption dll which is part of Windows XP Professional but not XP Home Edition. The default location is c:\windows\system32\dllcache\efsadu.dll
Why do you need this dll for XnViewShellExt.dll? :?
Is it possible to get a XnViewShellExt.dll version without dependancy to efsadu.dll? :?:
Thanx.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer »

<Moderator's note: This topic has been split from another topic>
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34704
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:"C:\Program Files\XnView\ShellEx\XnViewShellExt.dll
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code 0x80040154"
I've found that the missing dll is efsadu.dll, a microsoft encryption dll which is part of Windows XP Professional but not XP Home Edition. The default location is c:\windows\system32\dllcache\efsadu.dll
Why do you need this dll for XnViewShellExt.dll? :?
Is it possible to get a XnViewShellExt.dll version without dependancy to efsadu.dll? :?:
Thanx.
I don't know, i don't use efsadu, so maybe the shell.dll
Pierre.
Guest

Post by Guest »

I have checked on Windows 2000, there is no dependency with efsadu.dll, so it works. Tonight I'm going to check on my own PC [XP home edition].
Guest

[Resolved]

Post by Guest »

I downloaded this dll, but this didn't work.
I resumed my search and found the solution: register atl.dll, which is located in %systemroot%\system32 :D
Guest

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:I don't know, i don't use efsadu, so maybe the shell.dll
you meant shell32.dll?, and yes
User avatar
lucjo
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:08 pm
Location: Canada, Nouveau-Brunswick

Post by lucjo »

I have tried to install XnView "XnView-win-full.exe"
> version 1.8.2.1

I have the same message with XnViewShellExt.dll : unable to register the Dll/OCX: dllregisterserver failed; error code 0x8007007E

Pierre say me to install XnView without Shell extension.
Any other idea ?

Lucjo
Post Reply