Where's the new Linux version?

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: helmut, XnTriq, xnview

Afternoon Delight

Where's the new Linux version?

Post by Afternoon Delight »

To the wonderful author of XnView:

Where's the new Linux version? When is it coming?

I posted in Spring or Summer of 2004 and asked this same question and you said you'd be starting work on it in October of 2004. Have you worked on it? How is the work coming?

And most importantly:

When can we expect a new version of XnView for Linux to be posted?

An adoring Linux fan,

Afternoon Delight
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 37962
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: Where's the new Linux version?

Post by xnview »

Afternoon Delight wrote:To the wonderful author of XnView:

Where's the new Linux version? When is it coming?

I posted in Spring or Summer of 2004 and asked this same question and you said you'd be starting work on it in October of 2004. Have you worked on it? How is the work coming?

And most importantly:

When can we expect a new version of XnView for Linux to be posted?

An adoring Linux fan,

Afternoon Delight
Sorry, but i have much delay. I hope to finish it very soon.
Pierre.
Guest

Post by Guest »

PLEASE RELEASE A NEW VERSION OF XNVIEW FOR LINUX SOON! WE BEG YOU!

<Moderator's note: This post was edited.>
ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Location: Australia

Post by ckit »

Anonymous wrote:Please release a new version of XnView for Linux soon!
We Beg You!
I don't think that will help, it never did on IRC.
The use of uppercase letters turns people away, trust me on this.

You also didn't use a closing tag for the bold attribute rendering it useless.
Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2 and Vivaldi Browser (standalone)
User avatar
helmut
Moderator
Posts: 8588
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

ckit wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Please release a new version of XnView for Linux soon!
We Beg You!
I don't think that will help, it never did on IRC.
Exactly. Also it's against forum rules, see topic 'Rules & Guidelines'.

Currently, Pierre is late, but Un?x version is not forgotten and in the pipeline. Please be patient...
markusb

Post by markusb »

Hi All!

If there is an update for Unix in the pipeline - is there some kind of beta version for testing ? Like the Windows version beta tests ? That would be really cool.

Thank you for some information!
User avatar
helmut
Moderator
Posts: 8588
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

Markus et al,
markusb wrote:If there is an update for Unix in the pipeline - is there some kind of beta version for testing ? Like the Windows version beta tests ? That would be really cool. ...
the pipeline is pretty long, so it will still take a while (months) till a new Unix version will be available. That's my guess, Pierre should know more.
Guest

Post by Guest »

May we please have a status update on the Linux version of XnView? Is there an expected release this year or will this be sometime in 2006? There are many people who are very much hoping for a 2005 release of the next version of XnView for Linux.
Guest

Try F-Spot & gThumb for Linux

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:There are many people who are very much hoping for a 2005 release of the next version of XnView for Linux.
You may find more comfort in programs for Linux like: F-Spot, gThumb, among many others. Those two programs I mention are free, open source, and their authors update them often, not to mention their GUIs look much better in my opinion.
David S.

Re: Try F-Spot & gThumb for Linux

Post by David S. »

Anonymous wrote:You may find more comfort in programs for Linux like: F-Spot, gThumb, among many others.
I think there's a reason why people are asking for a new XnView: Because they want XnView and not something else.
Anonymous wrote:Those two programs I mention are free, open source, and their authors update them often, not to mention their GUIs look much better in my opinion.
XnView looks actually very nice on my desktop although it is Motif: I don't know how SuSE did it, but they somehow managed to make Motif applications use my desktop colour scheme.

For F-Spot and GThumb, I have both installed, but use them very rarely because both are simply too slow. And it's not very useful anyway to advertise for other applications if people are asking specifically for XnView.
Guest

Post by Guest »

thank you for mention fspot and gthumb i using both now much prefer them to xnview,
Guest

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:thank you for mention fspot and gthumb i using both now much prefer them to xnview,
Please have a look at Formats.txt in the XnView release. F-Spot and GThumb can display:

- jpeg
- png
- bmp
- gif (?)
- xpm (?)
- (?)
- (?)
- (?)

Thanks for pointing us to alternatives, but I'll continue to patiently wait for the next XnView release and in the meantime use XnView 1.68.1. :D
User avatar
Remi
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: France, Champagne

Version 1.80.1 under Linux

Post by Remi »

I use the new 1.80.1 under my Fedora Core 4

Code: Select all

wine /mnt/c/Program\ Files/XnView/xnview.exe Z:
OK, i'm cheating...
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 37962
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: Version 1.80.1 under Linux

Post by xnview »

Remi wrote:I use the new 1.80.1 under my Fedora Core 4

Code: Select all

wine /mnt/c/Program\ Files/XnView/xnview.exe Z:
OK, i'm cheating...
Works well? No problem?
Pierre.
User avatar
Remi
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: France, Champagne

Wine/XnView

Post by Remi »

Problem :
- acquiring (xsane error)
- tree not displayed when browsing
- out of memory l(arge file)

Of course, i will prefer a true Linux version ...