Problems installing XnView 1.68 (Solaris)

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Philip

Problems installing XnView 1.68 (Solaris)

Post by Philip »

I am getting the error "unknown operator" when I run install which has me baffled.
Any ideas what might be going on here appreciated. TIA


XnView-1.68-sparc-sun-solaris2.x> ./install
./install: test: unknown operator /sbin/uname

XnView-1.68-sparc-sun-solaris2.x> /sbin/uname
SunOS
Guest

Me too but in linux

Post by Guest »

I downloaded XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static and extracted it. I then run sh install and this error comes up. I'm running Slackware 9.1 current by the way.

sh install
OS : Linux, version 2.4.25
install: line 26: syntax error near unexpected token `('
install: line 26: ` uid=*(root)*)'
Guest

Post by Guest »

I also had the (latter) described problem when trying to install XnView on Slackware 9.1.

I contacted Mr. Gougelet, and he said:

Change to
uid=*\(root\)*)

That fixed the problem!

Good luck!
philip

Post by philip »

I tried again as root.

It did not fix the program. Same error message as before.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 38711
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: Problems installing XnView 1.68 (Solaris)

Post by xnview »

Philip wrote:I am getting the error "unknown operator" when I run install which has me baffled.
Any ideas what might be going on here appreciated. TIA


XnView-1.68-sparc-sun-solaris2.x> ./install
./install: test: unknown operator /sbin/uname

XnView-1.68-sparc-sun-solaris2.x> /sbin/uname
SunOS
Try /sbin/uname on a terminal?
Pierre.
Philip

Post by Philip »

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "on a terminal"

From an xterm command prompt I get

%/sbin/uname
SunOS
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 38711
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Post by xnview »

Philip wrote:I'm not sure what you mean when you say "on a terminal"

From an xterm command prompt I get

%/sbin/uname
SunOS
Try XnView.sh
Pierre.
crazytb
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:51 am
Location: Brazil

Re: Me too but in linux

Post by crazytb »

Good to see Linux (and UNIX-like systems) activities here!!!!! :D
Guest wrote:I downloaded XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static and extracted it. I then run sh install and this error comes up. I'm running Slackware 9.1 current by the way.

sh install
OS : Linux, version 2.4.25
install: line 26: syntax error near unexpected token `('
install: line 26: ` uid=*(root)*)'
I had this problem. But this piece of code is just for checking if I am root. I was already root, and I know that I was root, so I just removed these lines and tried to run again.

Of course, this isn't a "beautiful" solution, but works! :) The best will be when Pierre fixes this script.

By the way, I use Slackware 9.0.

Code: Select all

case "`id`" in
       uid=*(root)*)
               ;;
       *)
               echo "You must be root \!"
               exit
esac
Philip

Fixed, sort of

Post by Philip »

I can get the script to run. It was simply changing it to korn shell.

I changed #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh and it ran and installed everything......but.... now it is not executable because I get an error
ld.so.1: ./xnview: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/libformat.so: symbol __sqrtf: referenced symbol not found

???? I am going to try to go back to an earlier version of xnview (if I can find one). Where might I find a previous version.....I think my old version was 1.2 which was quite good enough and definitely better than no xnview at all.

Phil
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 38711
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: Fixed, sort of

Post by xnview »

Philip wrote:I can get the script to run. It was simply changing it to korn shell.

I changed #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh and it ran and installed everything......but.... now it is not executable because I get an error
ld.so.1: ./xnview: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/libformat.so: symbol __sqrtf: referenced symbol not found
Strange, if you make uname -a, could you tell me the result?
And i can send you old version.
Pierre.
Philip

Post by Philip »

%uname -a
SunOS altwn 5.7 Generic_106541-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
Horst

Re: Fixed, sort of

Post by Horst »

xnview wrote:
Philip wrote:I can get the script to run. It was simply changing it to korn shell.

I changed #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh and it ran and installed everything......but.... now it is not executable because I get an error
ld.so.1: ./xnview: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/libformat.so: symbol __sqrtf: referenced symbol not found
Strange, if you make uname -a, could you tell me the result?
And i can send you old version.
Pierre.
Hi Pierre,
where can I download an older version for Solaris Sparc. I have the same problem.
SunOS lrsun020 5.9 Generic_112233-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880

Thanks
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 38711
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: Fixed, sort of

Post by xnview »

Horst wrote:where can I download an older version for Solaris Sparc. I have the same problem.
SunOS lrsun020 5.9 Generic_112233-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880
Very strange, i have tested on 5.8 OS.
Old version is available here:
http://www.xnview.com/download/old/
Pierre.
Guest

Re: Fixed, sort of

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:
Horst wrote:where can I download an older version for Solaris Sparc. I have the same problem.
SunOS lrsun020 5.9 Generic_112233-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880
Very strange, i have tested on 5.8 OS.
Old version is available here:
http://www.xnview.com/download/old/
Pierre.
Thanks, this version works fine.

Horst
Philip

Post by Philip »

Gracias
Installed 1.50 without a problem