Splitting menus: Rating & Colour tag

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8217
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Splitting menus: Rating & Colour tag

Post by helmut » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:44 pm

Please note that this has been proposed in topic Colour Ratings. I'm reposting this because I want to make sure that this is implemented in 1.90.

If we do continue with two ratings, let's separate the two menus into
- View > Rating
- View > Colour Tag

And showing/hiding of Rating and Colour Tag could become independant (one menu item "Show Rating" and one menu item "Show colour tag").

Last not least there should be a separator in View menu. All in all this would look like this:

...
Stop animation
------------------
Tag >
Rating >
Colour Tag >
------------------
Show files in subfolders
...

This way things become a bit clearer, again.

XnView 1.90 <x>

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33636
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Splitting menus: Rating & Colour tag

Post by xnview » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:37 am

helmut wrote:Please note that this has been proposed in topic Colour Ratings. I'm reposting this because I want to make sure that this is implemented in 1.90.

If we do continue with two ratings, let's separate the two menus into
- View > Rating
- View > Colour Tag

And showing/hiding of Rating and Colour Tag could become independant (one menu item "Show Rating" and one menu item "Show colour tag").

Last not least there should be a separator in View menu. All in all this would look like this:

...
Stop animation
------------------
Tag >
Rating >
Colour Tag >
------------------
Show files in subfolders
...

This way things become a bit clearer, again.
I like all in 1 submenu :-)
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8217
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Splitting menus: Rating & Colour tag

Post by helmut » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:18 pm

xnview wrote:I like all in 1 submenu :-)
Open the submenu "Ratings & Colour labels" of 1.90 Beta 6 and see if you can find out which menu item does what at first glance.
Changing to "1 - Poor", "2 - Good", ... will help a bit, but the whole menu will become much clearer if you split Ratings and Colour labels.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:48 pm

I don't like the alternate 'Colour labels'... so I don't care that much... :?

But I think a single submenu with both "5 - Excellent", "4 - Good", "3 - Average", "2 - Below average", "1 - Bad" and "[red] - Important", "[Orange] - Work", etc... descriptions would be enough, IMHO.
2 separated submenus could be even better, though... :wink:
Olivier

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33636
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Olivier_G wrote:But I think a single submenu with both "5 - Excellent", "4 - Good", "3 - Average", "2 - Below average", "1 - Bad"
5 is blue, and 1 is red, right?
Pierre.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:33 pm

xnview wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:But I think a single submenu with both "5 - Excellent", "4 - Good", "3 - Average", "2 - Below average", "1 - Bad"
5 is blue, and 1 is red, right?
The colors depend on the skin used, right? (on my Mezich, 5 is purple and 1 is red).

As said elsewhere, I would prefer the following colours to be the standard for Ratings:
Image
(ie: skin designers should follow that standard, but a user could still edit a skin to get exactly what he wants)
Olivier

Post Reply