Mail dialog comment

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
Alistair George
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:39 am

Mail dialog comment

Post by Alistair George »

Hi this is wonderful software but under Tools>Email. I had hoped the beta would have addressed the very annoying form that pops up. Preferable to only have a dialogue to select the desired picture sizes etc before using the default mail client to attach to. I am a programmer too, and it is easy to instantiate the default client and attach pictures. All of the others (Faststone, Picasa, Photomeister) manage email better.
Kind regards,
Alistair.

XnView 1.90 <x>
Alistair Grant George
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34072
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 1.90 Beta comment

Post by xnview »

Alistair George wrote:Hi this is wonderful software but under Tools>Email. I had hoped the beta would have addressed the very annoying form that pops up. Preferable to only have a dialogue to select the desired picture sizes etc before using the default mail client to attach to. I am a programmer too, and it is easy to instantiate the default client and attach pictures. All of the others (Faststone, Picasa, Photomeister) manage email better.
Kind regards,
Alistair.
Sorry but i don't understand, you don't want the mail dialog?
Pierre.
Alistair George
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:39 am

Dialog

Post by Alistair George »

Dialog is not needed - if you try out any of the suggested other programs (Faststone is the best email i/f, if you want download details PM me) you will see the interface is much simpler - all user has to do is determine what resolution they want and even this may be memorised by the program to that to email images all one has to do is select them, then send them.
What I am trying to say is the TO FROM SUBJECT dialog is superfluous - user email can already be called from Windows API, which has the advantage of their addresses, settings and so on. By providing your own SMTP server you are wasting program space and complicating the program in my humble opinion.
Alistair Grant George
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34072
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Dialog

Post by xnview »

Alistair George wrote:Dialog is not needed - if you try out any of the suggested other programs (Faststone is the best email i/f, if you want download details PM me) you will see the interface is much simpler - all user has to do is determine what resolution they want and even this may be memorised by the program to that to email images all one has to do is select them, then send them.
What I am trying to say is the TO FROM SUBJECT dialog is superfluous - user email can already be called from Windows API, which has the advantage of their addresses, settings and so on. By providing your own SMTP server you are wasting program space and complicating the program in my humble opinion.
I've tried in fastone, and you have a dialog. And if you think that TO FROM SUBJECT is superfluous, so you don't use it :-)
Pierre.
Alistair George
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:39 am

Post by Alistair George »

I see what you are saying. What I am suggesting is to remove the TO FROM SUBJECT BODY fields, as most users will not know that the mailto API is the next step and will try and fill in the fields. Incidentally, there is a method whereby you can have the mail cursor in the TO field on client instantiation, rather than leave a '?' there.

Thanks for comparing Faststone - it is a very nice program too. In RAW mode it is much faster in picture handling than XV, but that causes an anomaly did you notice? its when you select a RAW picture, then go to crop - the cropped image is of poor resolution if you do not change the settings dialog in RAW. I was wondering why your program was much better in this respect.

Good day.
[/img]
Alistair Grant George
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8219
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

I'm not so sure with this one. As Alistair has pointed out a mail program offers all the addresses and contacts. And users know their mail program well, it's designed for writing e-mails wheras XnView isn't.

Contra mail dialog:
XnView should do it's strong part which is image conversion and the mail program should do be used for its job, writing and sending mails. Most people (including me) will think that you have to enter the message in the XnView dialog, which is not the case. (Alistair has mention this Contra above, already).

Pro mail dialog:
On the other hand, people might wonder why they can send a mail in XnView without specifying a "To:" field.

As you can see the mail dialog in XnView has Pros and Cons. Perhaps a mixture would be best. This could be an option or a button "More >>" which hides/shows the mail fields.
Last edited by helmut on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair George
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:39 am

Post by Alistair George »

helmut wrote:I'm not so sure with this one. As Alistair has pointed out a mail program offers all the addresses and contacts. And users know their mail program well, it's designed for writing e-mails wheras XnView isn't.
Also, it does not present a nice dialog interface. The author has opted for standard dialog box which is easiest, but is not consistent with other parts of XnView.

I should add its only a minor point this mail dialog, but since the program is so good, it could be improved by small tweaks as suggested IMHO.
Alistair Grant George
User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G »

Alistair George wrote:What I am suggesting is to remove the TO FROM SUBJECT BODY fields, as most users will not know that the mailto API is the next step and will try and fill in the fields.
I tend to agree.
Olivier
Post Reply