Suggestion: Search for wallpapers

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

AHCarter
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: South Carolina USA

Suggestion: Search for wallpapers

Post by AHCarter »

One of my tools for wallpapers (management or creation) is Xnview, along with MSPaint via the OpenWith feature. While one can go directory by directory and sort via the details view the pics and choose/move the desired ones, it would be nice to be able to search for the pics according to a particular resolution:

800x600
1024x768
etc...

Then move them to another directory/drive if that is one's desire.
Sincerely,
A.H. Carter
d(-_-)b

OS:Win 98 SE
Processor:Cyrix 6x86MX (MMX), 250 MHz
Xnview Ver: 1.74
RAM: 380MB
Lostclown
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Iceland

Post by Lostclown »

Isn't sorting images by "Properties" in XnView browse mode something close to what you are talking about?

Lostclown
AHCarter
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: South Carolina USA

Post by AHCarter »

Lostclown wrote:Isn't sorting images by "Properties" in XnView browse mode something close to what you are talking about?

Lostclown
Yes, but only so far as being able to sort. What I'd like to do is be able to find them, scattered throughout as they are shame on me, :( and move them in one fell swoop, or copy/archive them.
Sincerely,
A.H. Carter
d(-_-)b

OS:Win 98 SE
Processor:Cyrix 6x86MX (MMX), 250 MHz
Xnview Ver: 1.74
RAM: 380MB
Lostclown
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Iceland

Post by Lostclown »

So if you had the Windows Search tool with XnView's Properties column you would be there?

How about using Windows Search to locate all the images and move or copy all of them to a single folder and use XnView properties sorting from there?

Lostclown
AHCarter
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: South Carolina USA

Post by AHCarter »

Lostclown wrote:So if you had the Windows Search tool with XnView's Properties column you would be there?

How about using Windows Search to locate all the images and move or copy all of them to a single folder and use XnView properties sorting from there?

Lostclown
Windows Find does not find based upon dimensions, only file size KB/MB. File size does not guarantee wallpaper size.
Sincerely,
A.H. Carter
d(-_-)b

OS:Win 98 SE
Processor:Cyrix 6x86MX (MMX), 250 MHz
Xnview Ver: 1.74
RAM: 380MB
ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Location: Cabarlah, Australia

Re: Suggestion: Search for wallpapers

Post by ckit »

AHCarter wrote:One of my tools for wallpapers (management or creation) is Xnview, along with MSPaint via the OpenWith feature. While one can go directory by directory and sort via the details view the pics and choose/move the desired ones, it would be nice to be able to search for the pics according to a particular resolution:

800x600
1024x768
etc...

Then move them to another directory/drive if that is one's desire.
I really like your idea and I have had at one time or another a use for this.
Adding a "dimensions" option to the Search feature in XnView would be fanatasic.
Foobar2000, PhotoFiltre, Vivaldi Browser (standalone), Windows Eleven Pro x64 22H2 (MPO disabled), XnView MP and XYplorer Pro
User avatar
helmut
Moderator
Posts: 8684
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Suggestion: Search for wallpapers

Post by helmut »

AHCarter wrote:One of my tools for wallpapers (management or creation) is Xnview, along with MSPaint via the OpenWith feature. While one can go directory by directory and sort via the details view the pics and choose/move the desired ones, it would be nice to be able to search for the pics according to a particular resolution:

800x600
1024x768
etc...

Then move them to another directory/drive if that is one's desire.
I also think that this is a good idea. Sometimes you look for icons, wallpapers, or similar. There should be predefined sizes, but also user-definable size.
A very flexible thing would be a user-definable range for width and height. E.g. :
Size from [800] x [600] pixel to [1024x768] pixels

And/or comparators like "equals", "less than", and "larger than". E.g.:
Size equals [800] x [600] pixels.
Size is less than [32] x [32] pixels.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm

Re: Suggestion: Search for wallpapers

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:I also think that this is a good idea. Sometimes you look for icons, wallpapers, or similar. There should be predefined sizes, but also user-definable size.
A very flexible thing would be a user-definable range for width and height. E.g. :
Size from [800] x [600] pixel to [1024x768] pixels

And/or comparators like "equals", "less than", and "larger than". E.g.:
Size equals [800] x [600] pixels.
Size is less than [32] x [32] pixels.
Yes, good suggestion...
Lostclown
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:21 am
Location: Iceland

Re: Suggestion: Search for wallpapers

Post by Lostclown »

ckit wrote:Adding a "dimensions" option to the Search feature in XnView would be fanatasic.
I must admit that I was not aware of XnView's search tool! Nice tool that would definately benefit from the "dimensions" feature as suggested here.

Lostclown
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 38704
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: Suggestion: Search for wallpapers

Post by xnview »

Lostclown wrote:
ckit wrote:Adding a "dimensions" option to the Search feature in XnView would be fanatasic.
I must admit that I was not aware of XnView's search tool! Nice tool that would definately benefit from the "dimensions" feature as suggested here.
Ok, thanks for your suggestion!
Pierre.