Default toolbar icons demopage

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
mezich
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:39 pm

ckv wrote:I also would suggest changing the '?' symbol in cmd_About to 'i'. New cmd_Help looks too similar and even before this I have clicked few times the 'About' button when I wanted to open the help.
Thank you.
added i24_cmd_About2

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by JohnFredC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:12 pm

In the Mezich set, the "Custom" rotate dialog icon and the batch processing icon seem too similar to each other.

Here is what I have been using for the "Custom" rotate dialog icon. I think it better fits into the sequence of image rotation icons.
Image

Also, I have been using a modified Mezich icon for Rename:
Image

Maybe something like that would work for Time Stamp:
Image
ckv wrote:The only icon I think is a little off is cmd_BatchRename. Symbolism in cmd_BatchRename is perfect, but the icon looks silly with the small file icons. I would suggest either make the files bigger and overlapping or different design with three overlapping 'rename boxes'.
Agreed. Frequently the convention for multiple documents is a stack of 2 or 3 overlapping documents (not side by side).
John

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5456
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by XnTriq » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:15 am

mezich wrote:All icons I made for XnView - http://www.mezich.ru/xnview/demo/
ImageImage

You certainly know your “tools of the trade”. It's always a pleasure to see how much attention you give to every little detail.
I had no idea that you have web design skills as well. Юрий, did you write the code for the CSS-Sprites by hand?
mezich wrote:With time I will add more icons.
My customized toolbars (View & Browser) are filled to the brim with buttons, but the skins that come with XnView don't provide icons for many of these commands. If you keep expanding your theme, I'll soon be able to dump my own lame 16²px icons and finally switch back to “mezich”. :D
mezich wrote:Now I'm working with Change timestamp metaphor (cmd_SetTimeStamp)
What do you think? Let me know your ideas for this metaphor.
I prefer icon #2 (file + clock), ...
  • Image Image Image Image Image
... because the first one (file + clock + stamp)...
  • Image Image
... might be needed for features like adding or removing imprinted date & time information to/from photos.

It could also be mistaken for something like the Rubber Stamp/Clone Stamp/Pattern Stamp tools in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.
  • Image Image
In the past, many utilities for changing a file's access and modification timestamps were named after the Unix touch command (FileTouch, Touch for Windows etc.), ...
  • Image Image Image Image
... but the “hand” analogy is probably too abstract for the average user.
  • Image
JohnFredC wrote:The rectangle w/rounded corners scribed inside the comment balloon in Examples 1 & 2 looks like a computer monitor with a cursor suggesting the DOS command-line. That is a visual association which is very difficult for old-timers such as myself to shake.
OK, I'm old enough to remember the Program Manager of Windows 3.1 :mrgreen:
  • Image

User avatar
mezich
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:28 am

JohnFredC wrote:In the Mezich set, the "Custom" rotate dialog icon and the batch processing icon seem too similar to each other.
you are right.
I think for cmd_BatchConvert arrow sholud be changed on small gear.
added
i24_cmd_BatchConvert2
i24_cmd_BatchConvert3
JohnFredC wrote: Here is what I have been using for the "Custom" rotate dialog icon. I think it better fits into the sequence of image rotation icons.
Image
It looks like refresh. I suggest another metaphor.
added
i24_cmd_Rotate
JohnFredC wrote: Also, I have been using a modified Mezich icon for Rename:
Image
This command for rename any file. Not only for image.
JohnFredC wrote:
ckv wrote:The only icon I think is a little off is cmd_BatchRename. Symbolism in cmd_BatchRename is perfect, but the icon looks silly with the small file icons. I would suggest either make the files bigger and overlapping or different design with three overlapping 'rename boxes'.
Agreed. Frequently the convention for multiple documents is a stack of 2 or 3 overlapping documents (not side by side).
cmd_BatchRename2 added

User avatar
mezich
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:31 am

XnTriq wrote:I had no idea that you have web design skills as well. Юрий, did you write the code for the CSS-Sprites by hand?
No. I'm using special tool to make sprite from separate png-files. className = filename.

User avatar
mezich
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:16 am

Added:
i24_cmd_SetTimeStamp9
i24_cmd_SetTimeStamp8

thibaud
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by thibaud » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:14 pm

here's my vote:
cmd_SetComment 1
cmd_SetTimeStamp 2 (clean and simple)
cmd_BatchRename 2 (much better than #1)
cmd_BatchConvert 3

User avatar
mezich
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:20 pm

thibaud wrote:here's my vote:
cmd_SetTimeStamp 2 (clean and simple)
cmd_SetTimeStamp not only for change time.
that's because I made #10.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by JohnFredC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 pm

2Mezich

(Thank you for spending so much time on these icons for XnView. Please pardon my occasional negative votes against some of the icons. I recognize and am grateful for your efforts.)

My votes so far:

cmd_Rotate: The new icon is visually distinctive and implies the slider control in the dialog, but only loosely suggests "rotate" (and not at all to the neophyte). Nevertheless, IMO it is a sufficient design.

cmd_BatchConvert: IMO the new icons do not improve on the old. I personally still associate "batch" with a stack of documents.

Perhaps an "In-Box"->"Out-Box" metaphor would work for a Batch icon.

cmd_BatchRename: I am so sorry but IMO neither of those icons is up to the standard of the Mezich look.

Not only that, but as discussed in other threads, Batch rename and Batch convert are really two sides of the same coin and many of us hope Pierre will merge the functionality into one dialog.

cmd_SetTimeStamp: I like 2 or 4 best, but still think 3:00 is not the best time to portray. The hand metaphor is superior to the screwdriver metaphor, though.

cmd_SetComment: Either 3 or 4 is "good enough".
John

User avatar
mezich
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:03 pm

JohnFredC wrote: cmd_BatchConvert,
cmd_BatchRename:
Not only that, but as discussed in other threads, Batch rename and Batch convert are really two sides of the same coin and many of us hope Pierre will merge the functionality into one dialog.
I agree that all batch command should be developed as one automation tool.
And I see it as box with rotating handle. Like in hand-organ.
JohnFredC wrote: cmd_SetTimeStamp: I like 2 or 4 best, but still think 3:00 is not the best time to portray. The hand metaphor is superior to the screwdriver metaphor, though.
Please explain in other words. Sorry my english.
I think #10 is best for this command.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by JohnFredC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Please explain in other words.
cmd_SetTimeStamp: Put simply, now I like Example 10 best.
John

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5456
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by XnTriq » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:30 pm

mezich wrote:
JohnFredC wrote: cmd_BatchConvert,
cmd_BatchRename:
Not only that, but as discussed in other threads, Batch rename and Batch convert are really two sides of the same coin and many of us hope Pierre will merge the functionality into one dialog.
I agree that all batch command should be developed as one automation tool.
I use the same icon for cmd_BatchConvert & cmd_BatchRename (= Batch Processing):

Image

User avatar
mezich
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:51 pm

XnTriq wrote: I use the same icon for cmd_BatchConvert & cmd_BatchRename (= Batch Processing):
Image
As I see cmd_SetTimeStamp and cmd_SetComment(#2&4) very close to yours EditComment & SetTimeStamp icons. Nice pixel graphics!
XnTriq wrote: My customized toolbars (View & Browser) are filled to the brim with buttons, but the skins that come with XnView don't provide icons for many of these commands. If you keep expanding your theme, I'll soon be able to dump my own lame 16²px icons and finally switch back to “mezich”.
What most important command for you without icons in default skin?

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5456
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by XnTriq » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:30 am

mezich wrote:As I see cmd_SetTimeStamp and cmd_SetComment(#2&4) very close to yours EditComment & SetTimeStamp icons. Nice pixel graphics!
Thank you! I try to learn from the best. ;-)
mezich wrote:What most important command for you without icons in default skin?
I would love to be able to toggle the Use checkerboard pattern as background setting for transparent images w/o having to go to the options, but — as of XnView v1.96.2 — that command is not available for the toolbars. :-|

If I had one wish, then it would be a set of icons for the windows layouts. IMO all icons of the default theme should bear the signature (identical color scheme etc.) of one designer, and one designer only.

Here are my suggestions for cmd_SetWallpaperTile, cmd_SetWallpaperFit, cmd_SetWallpaperBestFit & cmd_SetWallpaperCentered:
  • Image
(Sorry for the late reply. I've been very busy.)

thibaud
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by thibaud » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:22 am

XnTriq wrote: If I had one wish, then it would be a set of icons for the windows layouts. IMO all icons of the default theme should bear the signature (identical color scheme etc.) of one designer, and one designer only.
you mean the layout icons i did, do not match mezich's color scheme ?

Post Reply