Single backup file for lossless operation

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

luppa

Single backup file for lossless operation

Post by luppa »

I wish I could specify a single file to backup lossless operations, for example there could be a field where you could specify the filename like so:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\xnview-lossless-backup.bak

When the user does a lossless operation, the old pic file gets copied to that file. The next time a lossless operation is made, the older backup is overwritten with a new file.

I often use lossless crop. If I make a mistake, the data is gone. If I enable the regular backup, there's bound to be lots and lots of backup files - and they appear in the same directory as the other pictures, clogging up my file list.
obelisk

Re: Single backup file for lossless operation

Post by obelisk »

Disagree.
No program in the world does anything like this.
So if you have 1 backup what if you crop then crop then realize it was a mistake?
luppa

Re: Single backup file for lossless operation

Post by luppa »

obelisk wrote:Disagree.
ammm... disagree with what? That I wish for an option like this?
No program in the world does anything like this.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say... lots of programs have a previous-version-backup/single-step-undo... Xnview has it now (see next). Or do you think that adding an option or functionality to a program that other programs don't have is a bad thing instead of good?
So if you have 1 backup what if you crop then crop then realize it was a mistake?
The original data is lost and the first crop is in the backup. This is what Xnview does now with its lossless backup. There's only one bak file per edited file. For myself I can say I don't really crop pictures twice and I can spot the error when I see the wrongly cropped pic the first time.

Of course a good option would be to maybe assign a folder for let's say 10 latest backups. Or a user assignable number of backups.