File Inclusion/Exclusion

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31919
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

File Inclusion/Exclusion

Post by xnview » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:48 am

I would like to replace "Option/Thumbnail/No thumbnail for PDF/PS/AI", "Option/Preview/Display PDF/EPS/PS files" by an "ignore extension list".
So you can set the extensions that you don't want...
But which solution is better:
1) One setting, so it's for view mode, thumbnail shown and preview
2) View setting (when you use next/previous file), thumbnail setting (thumbnail creation) and preview setting (picture shown in preview)

I think that the 2) solution will be very confusing.

What do you think?
Pierre.

User avatar
Clo
XnThusiast
Posts: 4441
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:57 am
Location: Bordeaux, France
Contact:

1 is good...

Post by Clo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:17 am

:) Bonjour Pierre,

¤ I would be too in favour of the solution #1…
It's close of that I proposed for example about an INI entry with exclusion, it could be "in fine" :
DisplayedFileTypes=*.*|*.pdf *.php *.xyz *.CrappyImageFormat
- This could be polished up …

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8174
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: Ignore list

Post by helmut » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:42 pm

xnview wrote:...
1) One setting, so it's for view mode, thumbnail shown and preview
2) View setting (when you use next/previous file), thumbnail setting (thumbnail creation) and preview setting (picture shown in preview)
My first thought was, solution 1 is sufficient. But when thinking more about it this is too limiting. In the browser, a user might not want to see the thumbnails for PDF files, since this would take far too long. But when clicking on a PDF, he/she still might be wanting to see the preview for the PDF. In image view, the PDF the user might also want to see it, since it is a single file to read and show.
I have not the full picture, yet, what the options should actually do, but solution 1 seems to limiting to me.

- Style of exclusion list
Perhaps the file extensions could be separated by a comma and use lower case (case will be ignored, by MS Windows anyway), this would increase readability a bit. I.e. "PDF PS AI EPS" would be come "pdf, ps, ai, eps".

- Option page with all exclusions
Perhaps this could all make it onto the same page (e.g. "Filter") in the options. Perhaps even including the "No thumbnails for larger than ... KB".

marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:51 am

For me, (1) would be sufficient. Splitting exclude list between thumbnail, view, preview seems needlessly complicated as menu option. It, (2), could be something better as "extra ini setting"?- if needed.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31919
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Ignore list

Post by xnview » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:02 am

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:...
1) One setting, so it's for view mode, thumbnail shown and preview
2) View setting (when you use next/previous file), thumbnail setting (thumbnail creation) and preview setting (picture shown in preview)
My first thought was, solution 1 is sufficient. But when thinking more about it this is too limiting. In the browser, a user might not want to see the thumbnails for PDF files, since this would take far too long. But when clicking on a PDF, he/she still might be wanting to see the preview for the PDF. In image view, the PDF the user might also want to see it, since it is a single file to read and show.
I have not the full picture, yet, what the options should actually do, but solution 1 seems to limiting to me.
So perhaps only list for thumbnail creation & view picture (view mode + preview)??
- Style of exclusion list
Perhaps the file extensions could be separated by a comma and use lower case (case will be ignored, by MS Windows anyway), this would increase readability a bit. I.e. "PDF PS AI EPS" would be come "pdf, ps, ai, eps".
Yes why not :-)
- Option page with all exclusions
Perhaps this could all make it onto the same page (e.g. "Filter") in the options. Perhaps even including the "No thumbnails for larger than ... KB".
All in a "Option/Filter" page??
Pierre.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:52 pm

What about this:

view mode - [...]

preview - [...] [x] like view mode

thumbnails - [...] [x] like view mode


With "ignore extension list" you could remove also this, I think:

"Preview > play sound / movie / show text file"

and "View > File List > play movie / sound" ??

And maybe also "Show thumbnail for video file".

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31919
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:56 am

Dreamer wrote:What about this:

view mode - [...]

preview - [...] [x] like view mode

thumbnails - [...] [x] like view mode
Yes perhaps a good solution, what do you think?
So these 3 options on a same option page?
With "ignore extension list" you could remove also this, I think:

"Preview > play sound / movie / show text file"
and "View > File List > play movie / sound" ??
And maybe also "Show thumbnail for video file".
Really, perhaps it's better to keep this options. If a user want to desactivate movie, simple setting is beeter than entering all extensions...
But perhaps good to put these option on the same page than "Ignore list"??
Pierre.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31919
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:02 am

No reply about this question?
Pierre.

Hacker
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Contact:

Post by Hacker » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:33 am

Sounds ok. :)

Roman

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:19 pm

Another idea:

Basic option for normal users:

Code: Select all

                      View mode  Preview         Thumbnail mode
Images                [ ]        [ ]             [ ]
Audio files           [x]        [x]             [ ]
Video files           [x]        [x]             [x]
PDF files             [ ]        [x]             [x]
TXT files             [x]        [x]             [x]
[custom...] ?         [x]        [x]             [x]
Files larger than [ ] [x]        [x]             [x]
All other files       [x]        [x]             [x]
                                 [x] like view m.[x] like view mode
When "like view mode" would be enabled, all options above ([x]) should be greyed out.

And advanced option in .ini or special page for advanced users (same as here).

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31919
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:42 pm

Dreamer wrote:Another idea:

Basic option for normal users:

Code: Select all

                      View mode  Preview         Thumbnail mode
Images                [ ]        [ ]             [ ]
Audio files           [x]        [x]             [ ]
Video files           [x]        [x]             [x]
PDF files             [ ]        [x]             [x]
TXT files             [x]        [x]             [x]
[custom...] ?         [x]        [x]             [x]
Files larger than [ ] [x]        [x]             [x]
All other files       [x]        [x]             [x]
                                 [x] like view m.[x] like view mode
When "like view mode" would be enabled, all options above ([x]) should be greyed out.

And advanced option in .ini or special page for advanced users (same as here).
So no extension list??
Pierre.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:07 am

xnview wrote:So no extension list??
Just an idea. I think it would be better for normal users. For advanced users "special page" would be better (same as here).

With my last option (above) you could also remove these options:

"Preview > play sound / movie / show text file"
"View > File List > play movie / sound" ??
"Show thumbnail for video file"
and "No thumbnail for files larger than..." option

It would be clear, all in the same place.

I think, all options - show / don't show, open / don't open, save... in all modes should be in the same place - category/sub-category.
What do you think?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31919
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:57 am

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:So no extension list??
Just an idea. I think it would be better for normal users. For advanced users "special page" would be better (same as here).

With my last option (above) you could also remove these options:

"Preview > play sound / movie / show text file"
"View > File List > play movie / sound" ??
"Show thumbnail for video file"
and "No thumbnail for files larger than..." option

It would be clear, all in the same place.

I think, all options - show / don't show, open / don't open, save... in all modes should be in the same place - category/sub-category.
What do you think?
Yes perhaps a good way. But perhaps we can merge this setting http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=17027 with "ignore list"?
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8174
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:47 am

Dreamer wrote:Another idea:

Basic option for normal users:

Code: Select all

                      View mode  Preview         Thumbnail mode
Images                [ ]        [ ]             [ ]
Audio files           [x]        [x]             [ ]
Video files           [x]        [x]             [x]
PDF files             [ ]        [x]             [x]
TXT files             [x]        [x]             [x]
[custom...] ?         [x]        [x]             [x]
Files larger than [ ] [x]        [x]             [x]
All other files       [x]        [x]             [x]
                                 [x] like view m.[x] like view mode
When "like view mode" would be enabled, all options above ([x]) should be greyed out.

And advanced option in .ini or special page for advanced users (same as here).
I like this approach. For new people, it might look a bit more complicated than the current bunch of options, but it's more flexible and still easy to understand.

Filter and Open action
The "Open in associated program" could work and look similar, though I think that keeping two pages (categories) would be better.

The above page could be named "Filter" or "File filter" for example (currently there's two pages "File list"). The other page could be named "Open action" for example.

When opening the "Filter page, it is clear that you filter files by checking / unchecking options.

Use same setting for all modes
Dreamer wrote:]When "like view mode" would be enabled, all options above ([x]) should be greyed out.
What about an option "Same setting for all modes" instead of "Like view mode".

Group "PDF"
The group "PDF" should still be discussed, since this group would contain "PDF", only. And there's EPS, and .PS which have to be handled like PDF and should be in the same group. Perhaps it's better to have listed grou "Custom".

File sizes per mode
The "Files larger than [ ]" is an overall exclusion (not a group) which overrides the group settings, so this should be listed separately.

Perhaps the file size for "Files larger than" should be per mode, so not one setting for all modes but each mode has a different size, e.g. the maximum level for thumbnails could be "1024 kb" whereas the maximum level for opening a file is "100.000kB".

All in all the options might look like this, then:

Code: Select all

                      View mode  Preview         Thumbnail mode
Files larger than     [1024]     [1024]          [10]
                      
Images                [ ]        [ ]             [ ]
Audio files           [x]        [x]             [ ]
Video files           [x]        [x]             [x]
TXT files             [x]        [x]             [x]
Custom [PDF, EPS, ..] [x]        [x]             [x]
All other files       [x]        [x]             [x]
                             
[ ] Use same setting for all modes

marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Ignore list style

Post by marsh » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:11 am

helmut wrote: - Style of exclusion list
Perhaps the file extensions could be separated by a comma and use lower case (case will be ignored, by MS Windows anyway), this would increase readability a bit. I.e. "PDF PS AI EPS" would be come "pdf, ps, ai, eps".
Should it be a single line, horizontal input box? This would allow copy/paste into it.
helmut wrote: Group "PDF"
The group "PDF" should still be discussed, since this group would contain "PDF", only. And there's EPS, and .PS which have to be handled like PDF and should be in the same group. Perhaps it's better to have listed grou "Custom".
But then exlcude list would be empty by default. I think it should have something in it as an example. An example could be next to option name if there is room (pdf, eps, etc)
xnview wrote: So perhaps only list for thumbnail creation & view picture (view mode + preview)??
Other than testing, I cannot think of any advantages to seperating view/preview. The same for seperating thumbnails and view- when do they ever need to be different?

Post Reply