File Inclusion/Exclusion

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:43 pm

In the above two draft screens, "Thumbnail view" and "All other views" are distinguished and thus have a indivudal columns.

Wouldn't be one column "Item", "Entry" or "Show item" be sufficient? I'm still not clear why there is such a separation. What's the use of having a different list of files in Thumbnail view than in all other views? We have settings for enabling/disabling thumbnail, so performance cannot be the reason (anymore). I think we could get rid of another relict, here.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33337
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:01 pm

helmut wrote:In the above two draft screens, "Thumbnail view" and "All other views" are distinguished and thus have a indivudal columns.

Wouldn't be one column "Item", "Entry" or "Show item" be sufficient? I'm still not clear why there is such a separation. What's the use of having a different list of files in Thumbnail view than in all other views? We have settings for enabling/disabling thumbnail, so performance cannot be the reason (anymore). I think we could get rid of another relict, here.
Often users have only images in thumbnail view, and all files in detail view
Pierre.

marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:17 pm

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:...
Hum, really i think that extension to exclude is better than custom file extension to show...
If you name the group "Custom" "Exclude", the name would no longer express that the group is customizable, and you can use "Exclude" to actually include files. That would be really irritating.
Don't think in terms of "Exclude" or "Ignore", try to think in terms of groups and files that are displayed and/or shown as thumbnail / preview. This is basically what we have now, see options, category "Browser > File List" (Item shown in Thumbnail mode / Item shown in other modes).

Let's see what other people think about this.
The dialogue should ask users what to ignore. Not: what custom files not to show. My suggestion has the added possibility of adding extension to this box via browser menu. Perhaps, you want custom to perform other functions? That would be confusing.
Also, if you want a seperate (and different) ignore list for each column, then that is a completely different and very complicated idea not clearly shown in any of these examples.
Last edited by marsh on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:36 pm

xnview wrote:Often users have only images in thumbnail view, and all files in detail view
Right... and therefore I like the separation between 'Thumbnail view' and 'All other views'. :D

Side-notes:
- The current option 'Show thumbnail for video file' should disappear and be here
- Why wouldn't it be possible to create thumbnails of text files? (generate an image at the Thumbnail dimension with a small font)
- What do 'Archives' and 'Folders' do in Thumbnail column? Is it to show several images in the Thumbnail (as suggested here?)

Olivier

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:04 pm

Olivier_G wrote:
xnview wrote:Often users have only images in thumbnail view, and all files in detail view
Right... and therefore I like the separation between 'Thumbnail view' and 'All other views'. :D
O.k., I'm convinced.
Olivier_G wrote:Side-notes:
- The current option 'Show thumbnail for video file' should disappear and be here
Correct, another option which will become superflous.
Olivier_G wrote:- Why wouldn't it be possible to create thumbnails of text files? (generate an image at the Thumbnail dimension with a small font)
Yes, should be possible, but for all I know currently thumbnails for text are not supported.
Olivier_G wrote:- What do 'Archives' and 'Folders' do in Thumbnail column? Is it to show several images in the Thumbnail (as suggested here?)
For "Folder", you are right, that's displaying several thumbnails contained in that subfulder. But what Thumbnail in the terms of Archive mean, is a riddle to me (preview to archive or thumbnails when browsing the archive ?).

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33337
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:08 pm

Olivier_G wrote:- What do 'Archives' and 'Folders' do in Thumbnail column? Is it to show several images in the Thumbnail (as suggested here?)
No, it's like now, to show archives files and folder in thumbnail view.
Pierre.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33337
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:11 pm

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:...
Hum, really i think that extension to exclude is better than custom file extension to show...
If you name the group "Custom" "Exclude", the name would no longer express that the group is customizable, and you can use "Exclude" to actually include files. That would be really irritating.
Don't think in terms of "Exclude" or "Ignore", try to think in terms of groups and files that are displayed and/or shown as thumbnail / preview. This is basically what we have now, see options, category "Browser > File List" (Item shown in Thumbnail mode / Item shown in other modes).

Let's see what other people think about this.
For example, i want to see all files/videos but not PDF/EPS/PS files, a really frequently situation. So i'm must not check Custom.
Very strange no???
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:59 pm

xnview wrote:...
For example, i want to see all files/videos but not PDF/EPS/PS files, a really frequently situation. So i'm must not check Custom.
Very strange no???
Not really. But people might not understand how an exclusion is created.

#H03 Another suggestion:
Image

The "Custom" was removed and the exclusion is set at the bottom, only.
Last edited by helmut on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33337
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:04 pm

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:...
For example, i want to see all files/videos but not PDF/EPS/PS files, a really frequently situation. So i'm must not check Custom.
Very strange no???
Not really. But people might not understand how an exclusion is created.

Another suggestion:

The "Custom" was removed and the exclusion is set at the bottom, only.
No you must keep a checkbox for all mode to exclude or not!
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:07 pm

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:...
For example, i want to see all files/videos but not PDF/EPS/PS files, a really frequently situation. So i'm must not check Custom.
Very strange no???
Not really. But people might not understand how an exclusion is created.

Another suggestion:

The "Custom" was removed and the exclusion is set at the bottom, only.
No you must keep a checkbox for all mode to exclude or not!
So you would double all the headings "Thumbnail mode" and "All other modes". And in the first list you check whether something is included or not (checked = included) and in the other list you check to exclude or not (checked = excluded). This is inconsistent.

Currently we try to find the 100% solution, if we can't find it we should find a good 80% solution.

marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:36 pm

Ignore this post please. I can't seem to find right words sometimes. English is a difficult first language too.
Last edited by marsh on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:42 am, edited 14 times in total.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:58 pm

helmut wrote:So you would double all the headings "Thumbnail mode" and "All other modes". And in the first list you check whether something is included or not (checked = included) and in the other list you check to exclude or not (checked = excluded). This is inconsistent.
I fully agree with Helmut, these options are very similar, it could be very confusing, also, in some other languages it could be not as clear as in English.

It would be more confusing than "associations" and "file types" in prev. versions...

marsh
XnThusiast
Posts: 2443
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:31 am

Post by marsh » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:34 am

I understand this 3 column design better:
<thumbnail mode> <list, icons, & details mode> <preview>
Images [x] [x] [x]
.
Hide parent folder ('..') [x] [x] -
.
Files larger than (Kb) [____] - [___]
.
Exclude* [x] [x] [x]
*Exclude [______]

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33337
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:33 am

marsh wrote:I understand this 3 column design better:
<thumbnail mode> <list, icons, & details mode> <preview>
Images [x] [x] [x]
.
Hide parent folder ('..') [x] [x] -
.
Files larger than (Kb) [____] - [___]
.
Exclude* [x] [x] [x]
*Exclude [______]
Right like that! No include list (not necessary), only an exclude one...
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:39 am

marsh wrote:I understand this 3 column design better:
<thumbnail mode> <list, icons, & details mode> <preview>
Images [x] [x] [x]
.
Hide parent folder ('..') [x] [x] -
.
Files larger than (Kb) [____] - [___]
.
Exclude* [x] [x] [x]
*Exclude [______]
This is what I've been talking about in my previous post: In top list you check something to include it, and in the bottom to exclude it.

If you make all the checkboxes work all the same (checked = exclude), this would be strange since "checked" normally means that something is active/shown. (See current XnView 1.80, options "Browser > File list").

Post Reply