Unicode Support Please

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

tbsky
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Unicode Support in XnView

Post by tbsky » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:31 am

tbsky wrote:
xnview wrote:
Killua wrote:However, is Unicode support in the Roadmap?
Because more function added, more difficult to add Unicode support to all function...
Yes, i think for the 2.0 version
we will buy 100 license of xvniew for unicode support. the author of irfanview
never say when will they support unicode.
we will buy this month and wait for 2.0
thanks a lot for your great work!!
we paid and got our license for 100 users(so qucik..). now wait for version 2.0.
is there any msi package we can download for deployment?
thanks for help!!

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31738
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Unicode Support in XnView

Post by xnview » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:59 am

tbsky wrote: we paid and got our license for 100 users(so qucik..). now wait for version 2.0.
is there any msi package we can download for deployment?
thanks for help!!
Standard setup or zip are not good for you?
Pierre.

tbsky
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Unicode Support in XnView

Post by tbsky » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:02 am

xnview wrote:
tbsky wrote: we paid and got our license for 100 users(so qucik..). now wait for version 2.0.
is there any msi package we can download for deployment?
thanks for help!!
Standard setup or zip are not good for you?
msi is easier for package deployment/upgrade in windows domain environment . it would be great if you provide msi package for commercial users.
anyway, i think we can live without it. not every software provide msi package.

Enmoku
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:25 am
Location: Northern Europe

Post by Enmoku » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:18 am

Gah, here's the right thread. I throw my vote for this greatly desired feature!

harkonen
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:33 am

definitely very important feature that's missing

Post by harkonen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 am

With a global world, this is definitely a needed feature. Surprisingly Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer is the only browser that is capable in reading all kinds of characters but is surely lacking in control and other features. Can XnView inherit object features from MS Picture and Fax viewer. Also another nice feature that is missing is the tab close button on IE7 and firefox. Thanks for reading... I await for these features hopefully it'll be implemented sometime in the future.

Killua
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Unicode Support in XnView

Post by Killua » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:50 pm

xnview wrote:
Killua wrote:
xnview wrote: I have many others request beofre unicode support, sorry...
However, is Unicode support in the Roadmap?
Because more function added, more difficult to add Unicode support to all function...
Yes, i think for the 2.0 version
But it seems that it cannot add Unicode support in 2.0? :|

simon_w
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:42 am

Post by simon_w » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:11 am

one more vote for unicode support! without it, XnView is only 99% perfect ;)

tbsky
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Unicode Support in XnView

Post by tbsky » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:36 am

hi:
last year we bought 100 user licenses and wait for unicode support.
hope the unicode support version would coming soon.

tbsky wrote:
tbsky wrote:
xnview wrote: Yes, i think for the 2.0 version
we will buy 100 license of xvniew for unicode support. the author of irfanview
never say when will they support unicode.
we will buy this month and wait for 2.0
thanks a lot for your great work!!
we paid and got our license for 100 users(so qucik..). now wait for version 2.0.
is there any msi package we can download for deployment?
thanks for help!!

pic_viewer
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 am
Location: Germany

Re: definitely very important feature that's missing

Post by pic_viewer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:55 am

harkonen wrote:With a global world, this is definitely a needed feature. Surprisingly Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer is the only browser that is capable in reading all kinds of characters but is surely lacking in control and other features.
Not sure what you are talking about. Here in the asian world people use ACDSee 6 and up without any problems, very popular. XnView completely (!) fails as it can not handle paths nor names containing non-western characters.

That also means that XnView has - at this time - nearly zero users where most of the potential users reside.

User avatar
V@no
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: definitely very important feature that's missing

Post by V@no » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:36 am

pic_viewer wrote:Here in the asian world people use ACDSee 6 and up without any problems, very popular. XnView completely (!) fails as it can not handle paths nor names containing non-western characters.

That also means that XnView has - at this time - nearly zero users where most of the potential users reside.
This is an excellent point. I've never thought of this fact this way, and now I understand why in certain countries one software may dominate over other of it's kind - lack of unicode support is probably one of the reasons.
And the jump in digital photos usage in last few years will sure impact on software that doesn't support unicode.

P.S.
Any news on v2.0 progress? ;)

User avatar
oops66
XnThusiast
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am
Location: France

Re: definitely very important feature that's missing

Post by oops66 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:26 am

FYI:
Unicode is already supported in the XnViewMP alpha version.
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14246
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewforum.php?f=60
XnViewMP 0.82 Linux X64 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - X64

Post Reply