Load image on interruptible thread

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Brasileiro

Load image on interruptible thread

Post by Brasileiro »

Hello,

I like XnView a lot, it's a great program. Keep up the good work!

I'd like to make a suggestion, don't know if it would be too complicated to implement: the image loading should be on a separate thread, and that thread could be interrupted by the user.

Let me explain why: imagine you are browsing a folder with a lot of big jpg images, from your digital camera. I browse thru them with the scroll wheel, either in window of full screen mode. You have to wait each image to finish loading before you can scroll to the next one. If the image loading thread could be interrupted each time you scroll the wheel or press page up/page down, you could browse thru the images a lot quicker.

Don't know if the author would be offended by me comparing XnView to ACDSee classic (for Windows, version 2.43, www.oldversion.com) but it works like this, and it is the only reason why I still use it as my default image viewer app instead of XnView.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Load image on interruptible thread

Post by xnview »

Brasileiro wrote:Hello,

I like XnView a lot, it's a great program. Keep up the good work!

I'd like to make a suggestion, don't know if it would be too complicated to implement: the image loading should be on a separate thread, and that thread could be interrupted by the user.

Let me explain why: imagine you are browsing a folder with a lot of big jpg images, from your digital camera. I browse thru them with the scroll wheel, either in window of full screen mode. You have to wait each image to finish loading before you can scroll to the next one. If the image loading thread could be interrupted each time you scroll the wheel or press page up/page down, you could browse thru the images a lot quicker.

Don't know if the author would be offended by me comparing XnView to ACDSee classic (for Windows, version 2.43, www.oldversion.com) but it works like this, and it is the only reason why I still use it as my default image viewer app instead of XnView.
It's added in fullscreen mode for next release...
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:It's added in fullscreen mode for next release...
Wow!!! That is great news indeed!
Really a major improvement for XnView. Bravo!

Olivier
PS: I believe it's not implemented in 1.82b2?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:
xnview wrote:It's added in fullscreen mode for next release...
Wow!!! That is great news indeed!
Really a major improvement for XnView. Bravo!

Olivier
PS: I believe it's not implemented in 1.82b2?
No, you should have it in 1.82b2!
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:No, you should have it in 1.82b2!
I can't confirm: XnView always load/show completely each picture before proceding to the next one, even if I keep changing (with wheel and keyboard).
I tried with View>Filelist>Cache enabled and disabled, in open->Fullscreen, Browser->Fullscreen and Viewer->Fullscreen... without success. :(

Can someone experience/confirm this new improvement?

Olivier
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:
xnview wrote:No, you should have it in 1.82b2!
I can't confirm: XnView always load/show completely each picture before proceding to the next one, even if I keep changing (with wheel and keyboard).
I tried with View>Filelist>Cache enabled and disabled, in open->Fullscreen, Browser->Fullscreen and Viewer->Fullscreen... without success. :(

Can someone experience/confirm this new improvement?
Do you have enabled "read ahead"? Perhaps it would be good to start a new topic in beta
Pierre.
Brasileiro

Post by Brasileiro »

Thanks for your prompt response Pierre!

I've downloaded 1.82b2 and couldn't feel the difference in fullscreen mode... I've even configured the auto image resize to no fit. Could you make it so that each time you scroll the mouse wheel (for each "click") it skips to the next (or previous) image? When I scroll the wheel quickly it still misses most of the commands.

Maybe if it's not asking too much, the zooming (high quality, which probably takes more time than loading the pictures) could be on an interruptible thread too.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Brasileiro, please post problems with beta in beta sections (1.82 Testing). Thanks.
Brasileiro wrote:Maybe if it's not asking too much, the zooming (high quality, which probably takes more time than loading the pictures) could be on an interruptible thread too.
There is already "Delayed HQ...", but just for fullscreen from browser (there are 2 fullscreen modes).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brasileiro wrote:Thanks for your prompt response Pierre!

I've downloaded 1.82b2 and couldn't feel the difference in fullscreen mode... I've even configured the auto image resize to no fit. Could you make it so that each time you scroll the mouse wheel (for each "click") it skips to the next (or previous) image? When I scroll the wheel quickly it still misses most of the commands.

Maybe if it's not asking too much, the zooming (high quality, which probably takes more time than loading the pictures) could be on an interruptible thread too.
Please continue on the beta topic...
Pierre.