No Thumbnail creation for PDF-Files with Umlauts (äöüÄÖÜß)

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Alberto

No Thumbnail creation for PDF-Files with Umlauts (äöüÄÖÜß)

Post by Alberto » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello to all,

I use XnView 2.34 with Ghostscript (both from portableapps.com).

PDF Thumbnail creation works fine until there is a German Umlaut (äöüÄÖÜß) in the Filename, then it fails.

Is there a solution / fix for this problem ?

(renaming to non-umlaut characters is not an option)

cday
XnThusiast

Re: No Thumbnail creation for PDF-Files with Umlauts (äöüÄÖÜ

Post by cday » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Alberto wrote:I use XnView 2.34 with Ghostscript (both from portableapps.com).
PDF Thumbnail creation works fine until there is a German Umlaut (äöüÄÖÜß) in the Filename, then it fails.
XnView 'Classic' doesn't support Unicode characters...
Alberto wrote:Is there a solution / fix for this problem ?
You can use XnViewMP, still in beta, if it supports the functions you need...

Note:

Ghostscript must be x64 if you use XnViewMP x64, and some menu items have been moved...

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:36 pm

cday wrote:
Alberto wrote:I use XnView 2.34 with Ghostscript (both from portableapps.com).
XnView 'Classic' doesn't support Unicode characters...
But for .jpg Files it works fine, no Problem with Umlaut-Characters... how's that then ?

I suspect Ghostscript in that case. Maybe there is a setting for that... ?
cday wrote:
Alberto wrote:Is there a solution / fix for this problem ?
You can use XnViewMP, still in beta, if it supports the functions you need...

Note:

Ghostscript must be x64 if you use XnViewMP x64, and some menu items have been moved...
Is there a portable Version (MP & GS 64 Bit) because I have to use portable Software ?

I will have a look at MP if there is surely no solution for classic which I like quite more.

cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Alberto wrote:But for .jpg Files it works fine, no Problem with Umlaut-Characters... how's that then ?
You did say you are using the portableapps.com version of XnView 2.34, presumably that version has Unicode support...
I suspect Ghostscript in that case. Maybe there is a setting for that... ?
I'm not sure about the portableapps.com version, you could check their literature or post on that forum...

Ghostscript itself supports Unicode, as the installed version of XnViewMP opens PDF files with umlauts and similar characters normally.
Is there a portable Version (MP & GS 64 Bit) because I have to use portable Software ?
XnViewMP and other XnView software ZIP versions can be used as portable software although with some limitations; I recently requested to add Ghostscript support for XnView 'Classic' when it is used as portable software, but the modified version didn't work... :(

A while back I searched the portableapps.com site and found a post indicating that Ghostscript support had been added for an earlier version of XnView, but I couldn't get it to work with the later version I was using, possibly my fault...

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:56 pm

cday wrote:You did say you are using the portableapps.com version of XnView 2.34, presumably that version has Unicode support...
If it had Unicode support Umlauts should be no problem, should they ;-)

I still think that there is a (Unicode?-) problem with Path/Filename transfer to Ghostscript where it simply cannot find the file. With pictures (internal) it works, with PDF (external) not...
cday wrote:XnViewMP and other XnView software ZIP versions can be used as portable software although with some limitations; I recently requested to add Ghostscript support for XnView 'Classic' when it is used as portable software, but the modified version didn't work... :(
Just try the ones from Portable Apps: XnView Portable and Ghostscript Portable. They work fine together.

I tried XnViewMP which seems to have evolved. I am still testing it and hope it will be useable in this Beta-State (I had 2 crashed while testing...it really is still beta! :-( On the plus side it is also available for Linux :-)

Subjektiv

Re: No Thumbnail creation for PDF-Files with Umlauts (äöüÄÖÜß)

Post by Subjektiv » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 am

XnViewMP (and XnView) does not make thumbnail pictures from PDFs with äöüÄÖÜ in filenames stored on harddisk A:
But it does for all files in other disks (e.g. D: C: G: H:)
Maybe it is a problem of Ghostscript (have newest version)

Any Idea?
Thanks

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: No Thumbnail creation for PDF-Files with Umlauts (äöüÄÖÜß)

Post by xnview » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Subjektiv wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 am
XnViewMP (and XnView) does not make thumbnail pictures from PDFs with äöüÄÖÜ in filenames stored on harddisk A:
But it does for all files in other disks (e.g. D: C: G: H:)
Maybe it is a problem of Ghostscript (have newest version)
yes really strange, i don't understand why it works on other drive. NTFS?
Pierre.