How to use XnView to cull photos

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
Raptor88
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:14 am

How to use XnView to cull photos

Post by Raptor88 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:26 am

Have Googled but was not able to find the answer.

When culling photos, I want to view photos full screen and tag the ones to be deleted. Using XnView Classic, can I:

1. Display a photo full screen and if it's a keeper, press the right arrow key to go to the next photo?
2. Then if a photo is to be deleted, can I press a key to tag it and press the right arrow key to go to the next photo?
3. After all junk photos are tagged, can I select all tagged photos and delete all of them in one shot?

If the culling procedure is different than above, could you explain how it works?

Finally, would it be better to use XnView Classic or the MP version to do the above?

Thanks,
Raptor88

User avatar
oops66
XnThusiast
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am
Location: France

Re: How to use XnView to cull photos

Post by oops66 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:55 am

Raptor88 wrote:Have Googled but was not able to find the answer.

When culling photos, I want to view photos full screen and tag the ones to be deleted. Using XnView Classic, can I:

1. Display a photo full screen and if it's a keeper, press the right arrow key to go to the next photo?
2. Then if a photo is to be deleted, can I press a key to tag it and press the right arrow key to go to the next photo?
3. After all junk photos are tagged, can I select all tagged photos and delete all of them in one shot?

If the culling procedure is different than above, could you explain how it works?

Finally, would it be better to use XnView Classic or the MP version to do the above?

Thanks,
Raptor88
Hello,
You can already do that into XnViewMP:

For example, my own conf. (for Information config. key "i" for View mode and FullScreen mode)

Code: Select all

{File Index} * touche."i" "h" "l" ON/OFF***
{Filename With Ext}
./{Folder name}/
(({EXIF:Date Taken [Y-m-d_H-M-S]} EXIF TAKEN)) 
{Modified Date [Y-m-d_H-M-S]} MD
(({IPTC:Created Date} :Année Mois Jour Heure  IPTC))
IPTC_K: {IPTC:Keywords}
Catego: {Categories}
{EXIF:Make}{EXIF:Model}
{Width}x{Height}_{Bpp} R{Ratio} - {Size KB}ko
(({EXIF:Focal Length}mm)) ((f/{EXIF:F-Number})) (({EXIF:Exposure Time}s)) (({EXIF:ISO Value}iso)) {EXIF:Flash}
((Lat.:{EXIF:Latitude}{EXIF:Latitude Ref}))
((Long.:{EXIF:Longitude}{EXIF:Longitude Ref}))
((Alt.:   {EXIF:Altitude}{EXIF:Altitude Ref}))
Tag(t): {Tag status}
Zoom:{Zoom}%
{EXIF:x0305}
... Then see/browse your pics and Ctrl+T to tag (then delete after all tagged files)
( keys are "customizable" into: Interface/shortcuts config.)
XnViewMP 0.82 Linux X64 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - X64

Raptor88
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:14 am

Re: How to use XnView to cull photos

Post by Raptor88 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:22 pm

oops66 wrote:
Hello,
You can already do that into XnViewMP:

For example, my own conf. (for Information config. key "i" for View mode and FullScreen mode)

Code: Select all

{File Index} * touche."i" "h" "l" ON/OFF***
{Filename With Ext}
./{Folder name}/
(({EXIF:Date Taken [Y-m-d_H-M-S]} EXIF TAKEN)) 
{Modified Date [Y-m-d_H-M-S]} MD
(({IPTC:Created Date} :Année Mois Jour Heure  IPTC))
IPTC_K: {IPTC:Keywords}
Catego: {Categories}
{EXIF:Make}{EXIF:Model}
{Width}x{Height}_{Bpp} R{Ratio} - {Size KB}ko
(({EXIF:Focal Length}mm)) ((f/{EXIF:F-Number})) (({EXIF:Exposure Time}s)) (({EXIF:ISO Value}iso)) {EXIF:Flash}
((Lat.:{EXIF:Latitude}{EXIF:Latitude Ref}))
((Long.:{EXIF:Longitude}{EXIF:Longitude Ref}))
((Alt.:   {EXIF:Altitude}{EXIF:Altitude Ref}))
Tag(t): {Tag status}
Zoom:{Zoom}%
{EXIF:x0305}
... Then see/browse your pics and Ctrl+T to tag (then delete after all tagged files)
( keys are "customizable" into: Interface/shortcuts config.)
Hi opps66,

I'm not sure how to use the code you posted. Could you kindly post a link on how to use the code?

I Googled "xnview config" and found this but it was not helpful to understand how to use it:
http://www.xnview.com/wiki/index.php/Se ... _Ini_Files

Thanks for the help,
Raptor88

User avatar
oops66
XnThusiast
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am
Location: France

Re: How to use XnView to cull photos

Post by oops66 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Hello,
It is not a code, it's only to have information available in the full screen mode. And especially the:
Tag(t): {Tag status} ... during the process.
XnViewMP 0.82 Linux X64 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - X64

Raptor88
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:14 am

Re: How to use XnView to cull photos

Post by Raptor88 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:07 pm

oops66 wrote:Hello,
It is not a code, it's only to have information available in the full screen mode. And especially the:
Tag(t): {Tag status} ... during the process.
Could you kindly explain how to incorporate the information into XnViewMP?

Thanks,
Raptor88 (A XnView dummy)

User avatar
oops66
XnThusiast
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am
Location: France

Re: How to use XnView to cull photos

Post by oops66 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:43 pm

into: Options/View/Fullscreen/show info. (sorry, above sample is for XnViewMP)

Code: Select all

<File Index>   *** touche "i" =INFO "Pause"= TIMER  ON/OFF***
<Directory><Filename With Ext>
<IPTC:Keywords>
((Année Mois Jour Heure  IPTC: <IPTC:Created Date>))
<Make> <Model>
<Width>x<Height>_<Bpp>_DPI:<DPI>   ((<Size KB>ko))
((<Focal Length>mm)) ((f/<F-Number>)) ((<Exposure Time>s)) ((<ISO Value>iso)) <Flash>
((EXIF Date: <Date Taken [a d b Y  H:M]>))
((Lat.:<Latitude><Latitude Ref>))
((Long.:<Longitude><Longitude Ref>))
((Alt.:   <Haltitude><Haltitude Ref>))
TAG(t):<Tag status>
((zoom: <Zoom>))
XnViewMP 0.82 Linux X64 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - X64

Post Reply