File selection lost

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
notnoisy
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:00 am

File selection lost

Post by notnoisy »

All versions of XnView that I have tried has this:

1. I select a file or many files and then minimize the program to use explorer or something. When I maximize xnview again the selection is gone, although the last file I selected is still shown - without any file being selected. Where is my selection?

2. I select a file or many files and then delete (pressing DEL on the keyboard). Xnview deletes the file, shows the next file, but no file is selected. Hoping it is just a gui-error and pressing the down-arrow reveals that xnview has selected the top of the list (..). I have to scroll through the images to find the right one again. Especially annoying when there are hundreds if images with similar names.

Are these issues addressed in the next version? They are really the only thing holding me back from using xnview for all image operations.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34364
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: File Selection issues

Post by xnview »

notnoisy wrote:1. I select a file or many files and then minimize the program to use explorer or something. When I maximize xnview again the selection is gone, although the last file I selected is still shown - without any file being selected. Where is my selection?
The selection, i think you means the focus?? the selected files are always selected.
2. I select a file or many files and then delete (pressing DEL on the keyboard). Xnview deletes the file, shows the next file, but no file is selected. Hoping it is just a gui-error and pressing the down-arrow reveals that xnview has selected the top of the list (..). I have to scroll through the images to find the right one again. Especially annoying when there are hundreds if images with similar names.
Fixed in the 1.70.
Pierre.
notnoisy
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:00 am

Re: File Selection issues

Post by notnoisy »

xnview wrote:
notnoisy wrote:1. I select a file or many files and then minimize the program to use explorer or something. When I maximize xnview again the selection is gone, although the last file I selected is still shown - without any file being selected. Where is my selection?
The selection, i think you means the focus?? the selected files are always selected.
No I mean "selected" as in "I select files and they are highlighted". The highlight is gone when I maximize the window, but the last file I selected/highlighted is shown in the image part of the window. Hence I need to reselect the files I wanted to delete/move/whatever again.
2. I select a file or many files and then delete (pressing DEL on the keyboard). Xnview deletes the file, shows the next file, but no file is selected. Hoping it is just a gui-error and pressing the down-arrow reveals that xnview has selected the top of the list (..). I have to scroll through the images to find the right one again. Especially annoying when there are hundreds if images with similar names.
Fixed in the 1.70.
Pierre.
Great!
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8219
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: File selection lost

Post by helmut »

notnoisy wrote:All versions of XnView that I have tried has this:

1. I select a file or many files and then minimize the program to use explorer or something. When I maximize xnview again the selection is gone, although the last file I selected is still shown - without any file being selected. Where is my selection?
...
As Pierre pointed out in his reply, the selection is not lost. When minimizing and then maximizing XnView, the focus is not restored properly. So the selected files are still selected, but it's hard to see since the focus is not in the file area of the browser and therefore the selected files are not highlighted properly.

As a workaround you can click into the input field which contains the path and then press the 'Tab' key. Sure enough this should be fixed in one of the next versions...
notnoisy
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:00 am

Re: File selection lost

Post by notnoisy »

helmut wrote:As Pierre pointed out in his reply, the selection is not lost. When minimizing and then maximizing XnView, the focus is not restored properly. So the selected files are still selected, but it's hard to see since the focus is not in the file area of the browser and therefore the selected files are not highlighted properly.

As a workaround you can click into the input field which contains the path and then press the 'Tab' key. Sure enough this should be fixed in one of the next versions...
Thanks for the workaround. I'll be one of the first to upgrade to 1.7 when its done - XnView is good software.
Post Reply