'Esc' should exit XnView

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33840
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:
helmut wrote:From what I can see this is a bug in 1.90. Is this still an issue in 1.90 RC2? If yes, please let us know and moderators will move this topic to the 1.90 testing section.
Yes, confirmed with RC2
I don't understand, what's the problem?? It's the same behaviour as 1.82.4....
Pierre.
User avatar
B.Douille
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Hte Savoie - France

Post by B.Douille »

Maybe the title of this topic is a bit contradictory.
I found you posted an agreement dated Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:17 pm, in reply to a proposal. The description was then clear and the most acurate of what should be the usage of the Esc key.
Another topic has been opened some weeks later, trying to guess how the option should work and if there is any bug here. It drove to nothing, not of any help :?
The problem isn't specific to either 1.82 or 1.90. The reply from both foxyshadis and helmut shows it's still pending a fix.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33840
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:Maybe the title of this topic is a bit contradictory.
I found you posted an agreement dated Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:17 pm, in reply to a proposal. The description was then clear and the most acurate of what should be the usage of the Esc key.
Another topic has been opened some weeks later, trying to guess how the option should work and if there is any bug here. It drove to nothing, not of any help :?
The problem isn't specific to either 1.82 or 1.90. The reply from both foxyshadis and helmut shows it's still pending a fix.
Ok, currently i see only that. If you have opened the browser, and use ESC key, so only the browser is closed (if 'single ESC to exit' is disabled) and else close the whole app. Is that the problem?
Pierre.
User avatar
B.Douille
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Hte Savoie - France

'Esc' key should not always close XnView

Post by B.Douille »

What follows is based on the standard behaviours of keys and in line with previous remarks from Helmut an ijustdiscoveredthiswonder. This should be the default way Esc key works.

1- Pressing 'Esc' closes the children windows in the order they have been opened. i.e. Fullscreen > Picture View and then back to Browser.
2- Further action to Esc shouldn't have any effect: To stop using XnView use File menu>Exit or Alt+F4 or the icon at top right of the window, as usual.

Special case: If XnView is opened with a parameter to open a file, a slideshow,... (eg double clicking from Explorer), statement 1 is still valid and statement 2 is replaced by 'Esc' = exits XnView (actualy back to Explorer).

Nice to have: If XnView is opened with a folder as a parameter (eg right clicking from Explorer), statement 1 & 2 are both still valid (user like to start XnView from a drive:folder in Explorer rather than form the Start menu and then browse to that folder).

What could be then the use of the existing option "Single ESC to exit" ?
Honestly I don't know. If some like to have XnView closed this way and never had inadvertently because they just pressed 'Esc' one (too much) time, then OK: If ticked, statement 2 do not apply and Xnview stops whatever the way it has been opened. It should not be ticked by default.

Hope this helps
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33840
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 'Esc' key should not always close XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote: What could be then the use of the existing option "Single ESC to exit" ?
Honestly I don't know. If some like to have XnView closed this way and never had inadvertently because they just pressed 'Esc' one (too much) time, then OK: If ticked, statement 2 do not apply and Xnview stops whatever the way it has been opened. It should not be ticked by default.
'Single ESC to exit' is when you open a picture in fullscreen from windows explorer, and you want to quit xnview by pressing ESC
Pierre.
User avatar
B.Douille
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Hte Savoie - France

Re: 'Esc' key should not always close XnView

Post by B.Douille »

Rewording may help:
xnview wrote:'Single ESC to exit' is when you open a picture in fullscreen from windows explorer, and you want to quit xnview by pressing ESC
The option should not have any influence here. When you open a picture in fullscreen from windows explorer, XnView should always exit on 1st pression on Esc key.
B.Douille wrote:1- Pressing 'Esc' closes the children windows in the order they have been opened. i.e. Fullscreen > Picture View and then back to Browser.
2- Further action to Esc shouldn't have any effect: To stop using XnView use File menu>Exit or Alt+F4 or the icon at top right of the window, as usual.
If you start XnView in the normal way, by default pressing 'Esc' should not stop Xnview nor it should close the browser view.

Now back on the expected role of the option "Single ESC to exit": If ticked Xnview stops whatever the way it has been started. It should not be ticked by default!
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33840
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 'Esc' key should not always close XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:Rewording may help:
xnview wrote:'Single ESC to exit' is when you open a picture in fullscreen from windows explorer, and you want to quit xnview by pressing ESC
The option should not have any influence here. When you open a picture in fullscreen from windows explorer, XnView should always exit on 1st pression on Esc key.
No, some users don't want that
B.Douille wrote:1- Pressing 'Esc' closes the children windows in the order they have been opened. i.e. Fullscreen > Picture View and then back to Browser.
2- Further action to Esc shouldn't have any effect: To stop using XnView use File menu>Exit or Alt+F4 or the icon at top right of the window, as usual.
If you start XnView in the normal way, by default pressing 'Esc' should not stop Xnview nor it should close the browser view.
It's often better to use ESC to quit xnview, i use it always...
Pierre.
User avatar
B.Douille
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Hte Savoie - France

Post by B.Douille »

Hem... A bit and it's opposite.
I think that a moderator should manage this one to compile the views and reformulate 8)
Post Reply