My thoughts on Picasa

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckit
XnThusiast

My thoughts on Picasa

Post by ckit »

Unfriendly shit.
- just thought I'd share my feelings :)
helmut

Post by helmut »

It's a while back that I had a look at Picasa. Some thoughts from my side: Picasa has some innovative and handy features. It's functionality is limited, which can be considered as a drawback but in fact is an advantage since it does what many people need and not more: Managing images by date and simple image manipulation.

Keeping the old image and saving the list of actions rather than a new image is very cool and can be a big advantage over other graphics software - depending on what you need.

On the "bad" side there's the need for more or less powerful hardware. For all I know, older Windows systems (e.g. Windows 3.1, 95, 98 ) are not supported. Also the list of supported formats is very short.

Above are listed just some aspects. I consider Picasa as a respectable, well thought-through product. It's far from being "unfriendly shit" and is a significant competitor to XnView.
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

helmut wrote:I consider Picasa as a respectable, well thought-through product. It's far from being "unfriendly shit" and is a significant competitor to XnView.
Agree.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Typical of Pro Google supporters.

Tell me how long will it take before Google is more powerful than Microsoft and ready to run your lives?
Lesmo16

Re: My thoughts on Picasa

Post by Lesmo16 »

ckit wrote:Unfriendly shit.
ckit wrote:Typical of Pro Google supporters.
ckit wrote: - just thought I'd share my feelings :)
You're arguments are the naked truth and absolutely overwhelming! :twisted:

Do you have stool problems or any other sorrow? :mrgreen:
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
helmut

Re: My thoughts on Picasa

Post by helmut »

Lesmo16 wrote:Do you have stool problems or any other sorrow? :mrgreen:
You've hit the nail on the top, Lesmo :-)

Honestly, I'm far from supporting competitors like Google with Picasa. I just don't like if people tell crap about other products here in this forum which is not true at all and has no background. Please continue this post with real arguments, ckit, not just meaningless thoughts.
Last edited by helmut on Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

As many of you know, I am a fan of XnView for several years and use it daily (it's almost always open on my desktop and all of my images are directly associated with it). Great tool. However...

As I have posted before, I love Picassa. Very pleased with it. The interface is smooth and innovative (and beautiful, too), it is VERY fast as a thumbnail browser (the proportional scrolling-speed controller is brilliant - how do they make it so fast? ), all image edits are virtual until rendered to the file (that is: undoable between sessions), the edit tools work well, etc, etc. There are lots and lots of cool little features (check out the dynamic thumbnail re-sizing slider, for instance).

The latest version links directly to my web galleries on Google, making resizing/uploading etc a snap. Also, the new version addresses everyone's previous complaints about the lack of a folder tree. Now the folder hierarchy is available in the side panel, can be expanded and collapsed. A neat innovation (maybe from the old GrandView outliner back in the late '80s) is the ability to "hoist" a single folder subtree into its own category in the side bar.

On other words a great piece of free software.

That said, I wish it... did about a milllion more things that I need (some of which, luckily XnView does).

A similar approach to image browsing that I just discovered and have been using in trial mode today is PicaJet FX. It is also innovative and has a beautiful interface. Costs too much, but boy is it nice.

There are so many good ideas in image browsing/editing these days... I use lots of tools and am very happy to have all of them.
John
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

The '2 word review' is more accurate than the crappy 'count the stars' ratings system used elsewhere. :)
helmut

Post by helmut »

marsh wrote:The '2 word review' is more accurate than the crappy 'count the stars' ratings system used elsewhere. :)
I guess you refer to ckit's initial post when talking of '2 word review'. I think any rating is pretty useless and can be only an indicator without a comment. With a comment each writer can express much more and each reader can decide what is important for him/her. Giving a very bad rating without background info is as useless and meaningless as a very good rating. Would you trust "XnView is a brilliant and outstanding graphic software"?

Last not least it's simply bad manner to talk about something bad and with strong language, especially without giving any reasons and background. The aim is to improve XnView, not talking other software down.