macOS version: Issues with German localization

Bugs which have been reproduced by a second user or the developer, or features to do

Moderator: Dreamer

XnView-User

macOS version: Issues with German localization

Post by XnView-User » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 pm

The German localization of the current macOS version 0.95 of “XnView MP” is something like a German-English fruit salad peppered with terms from a Windows system. That’s just one reason why I consider “XnView MP (for Mac)” as a Beta-version, at the best. (More posts regarding this will follow).

As apparently nobody is aware of that fact I would like to give you some examples:

1.) In macOS there is no Explorer. The Explorer in macOS is called “Finder”. But in XnView MP for macOS you find the Windows-only(!) term “Explorer” in many places, in sub-menus and context menus and so on.

2.) There’s also no Arbeitsplatz or Desktop in macOS. The equivalent for the “Desktop” in macOS is “Schreibtisch”. And what is named in “XnView MP” as “Arbeitsplatz” is in fact the user directory which always carries the user name (the one with the home icon).

3.) In the file browser on the left, the system directories Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures and Public are shown in English language, thus still untranslated. The German translations for Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures and Public are: Dokumente, Filme, Musik, Bilder and Öffentlich (exactly as correctly shown in the “Finder” of a Mac-computer which is set to German language).

4.) Your German translator, apparently Mr. Helmut Müller, must have had a bad day when translating the MP-version for macOS. He didn’t even translate the English words Yes and No, nor the word Cancel. Those English terms Yes, No and Cancel show up in all sub-menus.

It would be great if somebody could improve the here described problems with the German localization.

PS: I’m a long-time user of “XnView Classic” under Windows 7, for almost 10 years. And I’m very grateful for this program which helped me a lot to organize and tag my huge photo collection with IPTC-meta-tags. Thank you very much for this great tool, dear Pierre!

But “XnView MP (for Mac)” is in my opinion a Beta-version, at the best, and should therefore also be declared as such.

Update and additional remarks:

Going deeper through the menus of XnView MP for macOS one can find even more English terms which are not yet translated into German, like the buttons Abort, New folder and Open.

There might be even more, who knows.

And; I just tried out the standalone application "XnConvert". I can see that the same applies to this program. Its German localization is also a German-English fruit salad peppered with terms from a Windows system.
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system.

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: macOS version: Issues with German localization

Post by xnview » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:40 pm

XnView MP use same translation file for all platforms, so this can be a little problem for some.
XnView-User wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 pm
1.) In macOS there is no Explorer. The Explorer in macOS is called “Finder”. But in XnView MP for macOS you find the Windows-only(!) term “Explorer” in many places, in sub-menus and context menus and so on.
Ok, i'll use the 'Finder' term
2.) There’s also no Arbeitsplatz or Desktop in macOS. The equivalent for the “Desktop” in macOS is “Schreibtisch”. And what is named in “XnView MP” as “Arbeitsplatz” is in fact the user directory which always carries the user name (the one with the home icon).
ok
4.) Your German translator, apparently Mr. Helmut Müller, must have had a bad day when translating the MP-version for macOS. He didn’t even translate the English words Yes and No, nor the word Cancel. Those English terms Yes, No and Cancel show up in all sub-menus.
could you post some screenshots?
But “XnView MP (for Mac)” is in my opinion a Beta-version, at the best, and should therefore also be declared as such.[/i]
Sorry but it's not a beta...
Pierre.