Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

raducoc
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:05 pm

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by raducoc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm

xnview wrote: Yes, i have made something, i'll post a new alpha in september...
I'm waiting impatiently to test new build of XnViewMP for OSX.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by JohnFredC » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:15 pm

That is good news! :D
John

thibaud
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by thibaud » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 pm

I just tested the new instant preview feature in MP 0.20.
I must say I'm not impressed .. I'm not seeing any difference with previous version regarding responsiveness of the viewer navigation :(
really exited with the rest of the improvements though.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32762
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by xnview » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:38 am

thibaud wrote:I just tested the new instant preview feature in MP 0.20.
I must say I'm not impressed .. I'm not seeing any difference with previous version regarding responsiveness of the viewer navigation :(
really exited with the rest of the improvements though.
Could you try without 'read ahead' & 'cache behind'? XnView load a preview of the size of the screen
Pierre.

thibaud
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by thibaud » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:39 am

xnview wrote:Could you try without 'read ahead' & 'cache behind'? XnView load a preview of the size of the screen
didn't notice any difference.
I just did a quick comparaison with xnview 1.96.x
MP browser startup time is much better (with identical -large- thumb cache).
MP image number/total number update in the status bar also feels way more responsive.
but MP viewer navigation although slightly improved is unfortunately still lagging well behind other image viewers (namely: acdsee, fast picture viewer, picasa,etc..)

MP looks really great so far congrats :)

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32762
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by xnview » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:38 pm

thibaud wrote:
xnview wrote:Could you try without 'read ahead' & 'cache behind'? XnView load a preview of the size of the screen
didn't notice any difference.
Are you in fullscreen? I use the size of screen to load preview, perhaps your screen resolution is high?
Pierre.

thibaud
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by thibaud » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Are you in fullscreen? I use the size of screen to load preview, perhaps your screen resolution is high?
1920*1200 (x2)

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32762
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by xnview » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:48 pm

thibaud wrote:
Are you in fullscreen? I use the size of screen to load preview, perhaps your screen resolution is high?
1920*1200 (x2)
And resolution of picture?
Pierre.

thibaud
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by thibaud » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm

xnview wrote:
thibaud wrote:
Are you in fullscreen? I use the size of screen to load preview, perhaps your screen resolution is high?
1920*1200 (x2)
And resolution of picture?
all 3888x2592

thibaud
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by thibaud » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:28 am

can't we just have the embedded thumbs (if available) displayed as a quick preview.
I'm really longing for instant load feedback. be it a text, a plain color, a thumbnail, a progressive decoding, whatever..
but right now it's impossible to navigate with the viewer without getting lost. when, for example calling "next" 5 times consecutively and only see a one image change.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32762
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by xnview » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:16 am

thibaud wrote:but right now it's impossible to navigate with the viewer without getting lost. when, for example calling "next" 5 times consecutively and only see a one image change.
Is it better when you change previewSize?
So you would like that next/prev picture block until picture is displayed??
Pierre.

thibaud
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by thibaud » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 pm

no change in MP0.21 I can't seem to get the faster low res preview to show at all.
I added previewSize=@Size(100 100) under the [preview] section of the .ini but I'm still not seeing any lowres preview.
So you would like that next/prev picture block until picture is displayed??
that would be extreme and probably not a good idea.
I believe an instant visual feedback that a next/prev image load has been called (if not cached) is really needed.
progressive loading or low/high res switch are probably the best options.
personally I would be more than happy to "simply" have the MP thumbnail (if already build or the embedded thumb) displayed instantly (scaled) in the viewer while the image load.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32762
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by xnview » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm

thibaud wrote:no change in MP0.21 I can't seem to get the faster low res preview to show at all.
I added previewSize=@Size(100 100) under the [preview] section of the .ini but I'm still not seeing any lowres preview.
Strange, i can see a low res and after a high res picture...
You are in fullscreen? In a view? With 'read ahead'?
Pierre.

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by JohnFredC » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Yes, this is strange. Sometimes I can see the low-res preview, sometimes not. Apparently it can happen very fast and the result can be quite subtle.
John

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32762
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Instant Low-res image like Picasa 3

Post by xnview » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:45 pm

JohnFredC wrote:Yes, this is strange. Sometimes I can see the low-res preview, sometimes not. Apparently it can happen very fast and the result can be quite subtle.
Youhave 'read ahead'? Do you have changed the previewSize setting?
Pierre.

Post Reply