Multipage files - number of pages, current page

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

KillyMXI

Multipage files - number of pages, current page

Post by KillyMXI »

XnViewMP is a wonderful software, but I'm having difficulty to use it for multipage TIFF files.

There doesn't seem to be any indication for multipage content besides activated Prev page/Next page buttons.

Things I would love to see:
  • Number of pages field to use in custom format strings;
  • Current page field to use in custom format strings;
  • Information text for image preview in the browser tab would be handy, so I can have chosen information on screen without sacrificing much screen space for panels;
  • Some kind of slider / navigation panel for multipage files, displayed at the bottom of the preview, similar to "Show ratings";
  • Possibility to generate contact sheet from pages;
  • Quick access to contact sheet generation / preview for multipage files. Alternatively, a way to overview a multipage file as if it is a folder of images.
XnView Classic has "Page #" or "Show page" dialog available only from the single image view panel. Modal dialog does what I need but is not very convenient. Still, even reintroducing it in XnViewMP as is would be better than the current state.

Single image view has the current page and total pages number in the status bar, but it's not very convenient.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Multipage files - number of pages, current page

Post by xnview »

so you would like to have an indication in browser?
Pierre.
KillyMXI

Re: Multipage files - number of pages, current page

Post by KillyMXI »

Yes, I guess that's the most important part of it.

Although, after I posted this suggestion I discovered more issues that make XnView/MP not suitable for scientific images.

- Pages array can be multidimensional (multiple sliders required - channels, slices, frames. Although I'm still not sure how application-specific this is, how well the stacking can be recovered from the file itself);
- Images can have weird pixel value ranges (or some other issue, not quite sure), XnViewMP shows some images as noise with characteristic "phase wrap"/"fresnel" pattern.

Another issue I just found:
If I assign Prev/Next Page shortcuts - they only work in the browser and don't work in the single image view, making impossible to have both kb navigation and current page number at the same time.

So far ImageJ and IrfanView provide better support for scientific images, but UX is not great for browsing, so that's why I was looking at XnViewMP.