Zoom options race condition when scrolling through images of different types

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

CaspianRoach

Zoom options race condition when scrolling through images of different types

Post by CaspianRoach »

Xnview MP 0.96.2, Windows 10 64.

When scrolling through images of multiple types (example: .jpg, .bmp) on a slow machine/extremely quickly, the zoom options are sometimes inherited from a previous image.

My Xnview setting for handling images is 'Fit Image To Window, Large only'.

Best explained with a video:
https://streamable.com/ejhp4o

In the video, I open a small .bmp file that fits easily on screen and scroll back and forth between it and a very big .jpg file that does not fit fully on the screen, so it gets scaled down. When I do it slowly, everything works fine.
Then, I scroll wildly through the folder, causing XnView to load a bunch of big images and then quickly scroll back to the original 'small' .bmp. Now it is stretched to fit the whole screen, which should not be happening with the setting 'Fit Image to Window, Large Only'.

I've only been able to consistently reproduce it with images of different types in the same folder, this may be a problem with all .jpgs too, but this specific combination makes the bug reproduceable.
Here are my test images: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b-8gkJ ... sp=sharing
You can see in the video that i copied the fish image over a bunch of times to make it easier to scroll through a bunch of files fast, but I was able to reproduce it with just one copy too. Test on a slow hard drive.
CaspianRoach

Re: Zoom options race condition when scrolling through images of different types

Post by CaspianRoach »

A related bug, but with a Browser view here's what happens when you do the exact same thing:

https://streamable.com/125o7v

It is a bit weird because you don't see/hear my scroll wheel, but at the end there, I basically spam previous image\next image in a very quick succession with my mouse wheel. Note how by the end of that operation the selection in the browser is on the .bmp file, but the Preview shows the previous .jpg file.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Zoom options race condition when scrolling through images of different types

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.96.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
CaspianRoach

Post by CaspianRoach »

Tried to reproduce the bug with the same conditions, seems to be fixed.