0.91 beta

Locked
jadO
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 am

0.91 beta

Post by jadO » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:40 pm

In beta 4 there is an issue with video thumbnails. Before 0.91 when XnviewMP was not able to create a video thumbnail for some reason, it either issued a black thumbnail or kept the file icon, but it kept going.
With beta 4 now XnviewMP freezes on such a file and only shutting it off helps.
I have just tested with 0.90 and this version does not freeze.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30260
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by xnview » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:15 pm

could you send me the video file?
Pierre.

jadO
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 am

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by jadO » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:45 am

I have sent you a file.

With 0.90 the file gets correctly thumbnailed with 4 thumbnails.
With 0.91b4 the files does not get thumbnailed. XnViewmp freezes and needs to shut off.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30260
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by xnview » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:39 am

the video engine has a problem to gets 4 thumbnails with 0.90 & 0.91
if i use ffmpeg, ffmpeg freeze when trying to extract thumbnails with 0.90 & 0.91
Pierre.

jadO
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 am

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by jadO » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:03 pm

xnview wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:39 am
the video engine has a problem to gets 4 thumbnails with 0.90 & 0.91
if i use ffmpeg, ffmpeg freeze when trying to extract thumbnails with 0.90 & 0.91
I have used the external ffmpeg as addon and it was able to create 4 thumbnails with v.0.90.
In any way the main problem is not that thumbnailing does not work (this can happen with a strange file) but XnviewMP should not freeze then. This is what makes it extremely annoying.
Also I am now wondering: When I create thumbnails successfully with v0.90. And then use 0.91b4 on the same thumbnail database, it still freezes.
From my opinion as thumbnails are in the database alreay it should not freeze. It should use the thumbnails that are in the database.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30260
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by xnview » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:05 pm

it's better to use internal video engine
Pierre.

jadO
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 am

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by jadO » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 pm

xnview wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:05 pm
it's better to use internal video engine
Same result with internal engine. No thumbnails produced for this file.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30260
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by xnview » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:51 pm

jadO wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 pm
xnview wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:05 pm
it's better to use internal video engine
Same result with internal engine. No thumbnails produced for this file.
yes ffmpeg has problem with it
Pierre.

jadO
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 am

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by jadO » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:10 am

xnview wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:51 pm
jadO wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:43 pm
xnview wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:05 pm
it's better to use internal video engine
Same result with internal engine. No thumbnails produced for this file.
yes ffmpeg has problem with it
I don't understand how this can be a ffmpeg problem. I have just tried it with external engine again. With the very same ffmpeg.exe in addons folder 0.90 produces 4 thumbnails, while 0.91b4 does not produce thumbnails for that file and freezes.
I think I am using the latest version of ffmpeg.exe here.

But again: The main issue is that XnviewMP freezes. It should not freeze if thumbnails cannot get created.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30260
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by xnview » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am

i have the same behavior with 0.90 & 0.91 & ffmpeg.
i've tried to use ffmpeg as command line, and there is a problem with this mp4. It's better to use internal video engine (based on ffmpeg) than use addon ffmpeg.
Pierre.

jadO
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 am

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by jadO » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 am

xnview wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am
i have the same behavior with 0.90 & 0.91 & ffmpeg.
i've tried to use ffmpeg as command line, and there is a problem with this mp4. It's better to use internal video engine (based on ffmpeg) than use addon ffmpeg.
I prefer the addon as it can easily be updated when a new version emerges.
In my case ffmpeg is not the problem as it produces 4 thumbnails with XnvieMP v. 0.90. With v. 0.91b4 it does not produce a thumbnail and XnviewMP hangs.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30260
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by xnview » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am

jadO wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 am
In my case ffmpeg is not the problem as it produces 4 thumbnails with XnvieMP v. 0.90. With v. 0.91b4 it does not produce a thumbnail and XnviewMP hangs.
the code was not changed here, by checking, i have no dead lock with ffmpeg & 0.91, and only 1 thumbnail
0.90 freeze with or without ffmpeg (so the problem comes with an installed codec)

if you remove ffmpeg on 0.90 & 0.91, what do you have?

can i send the video file to ffpmeg/QtAV team?
Pierre.

jadO
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 am

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by jadO » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:03 am

xnview wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am
if you remove ffmpeg on 0.90 & 0.91, what do you have?
With 0.90 without external ffmpeg XnviewMP creates 1 thumbnail per file despite the fact that it should create 4 thumbnails per file. It does not freeze.
With 0.91b4 without external ffmpeg XnviewMP freezes when it reaches the file I have sent to you.

With external ffmpeg v0.90 creates 4 thumbnails for every file as it should, no freezes, while with v0.91b4 it freezes when it reaches the file that I have sent to you.
xnview wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am
can i send the video file to ffpmeg/QtAV team?
Yes. But I believe the issues is not on the ffmpeg here.
Are the previous beta versions still available? I would like to test it the show the same error.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30260
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 0.91 beta

Post by xnview » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am

jadO wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:03 am
xnview wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am
if you remove ffmpeg on 0.90 & 0.91, what do you have?
With 0.90 without external ffmpeg XnviewMP creates 1 thumbnail per file despite the fact that it should create 4 thumbnails per file. It does not freeze.
With 0.91b4 without external ffmpeg XnviewMP freezes when it reaches the file I have sent to you.
yes i use lastest QtAV engine beased on lastest ffmpeg
With external ffmpeg v0.90 creates 4 thumbnails for every file as it should, no freezes, while with v0.91b4 it freezes when it reaches the file that I have sent to you.
i can't reproduce
Pierre.

Locked