0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
kxmp
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:00 pm

0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by kxmp » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:05 pm

XNview MP just pop a small window said can't load file :(
The "open" is gray in right click menu.


https://cdn.loc.gov/service/gmd/gmd7/g7 ... 001844.jp2

I'm using Xnview MP 0.82 64bit on win7 x64
Hey!! wait! I find the download link on website is old version.
http://download.xnview.com/XnViewMP-win-x64.zip

The program is 0.83, but version in file protery is 0.82 :?

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by XnTriq » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:00 am

The file's dimensions are 29'875×14'490 pixels. How much memory (RAM) do you have?

kxmp
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by kxmp » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:01 am

XnTriq wrote:The file's dimensions are 29'875×14'490 pixels. How much memory (RAM) do you have?
My free ram is 1.92G now

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by XnTriq » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:00 am

:-? 1.92 GB of free RAM should be enough for ct001844.jp2 (29'875 × 14'490 × 3 = 1'298'666'250). Can you open the file in other programs?
A few scanning tips [url=http://www.scantips.com/basics1d.html]Color Bit-Depth, & Memory Cost of Images[/url] wrote:Large images consume large memory and make our computers struggle. Memory cost for an image is computed from the image size.

For a 6x4 inch image printed at 300 dpi, the image size is calculated as:
  • (6 inches × 300 dpi) × (4 inches × 300 dpi) = 1800 × 1200 pixels
1800 × 1200 pixels is 1800×1200 = 2,160,000 pixels (2 megapixels).

The memory cost for this RGB color image is:
  • 1800 × 1200 × 3 = 6.48 million bytes.
The last "× 3" is for 3 bytes of RGB color information per pixel for 24 bit color (3 RGB values per pixel, one 8-bit byte for each RGB value, which totals 24 bit color).

The compressed JPG file will be smaller (maybe 10% of that size), selected by our choice for JPG Quality, but the smaller it is, the worse the image quality. The larger it is, the better the image quality. If uncompressed, it is three bytes per pixel.

Different color modes have different size data values, as shown below:

Code: Select all

Image Type       | Bytes per pixel
-----------------+----------------------------------------
1 bit Line art   | 1/8 byte per pixel
                 | (1 bit per pixel, 8 bits per byte)
8 bit Grayscale  | 1 byte per pixel
16 bit Grayscale | 2 bytes per pixel
24 bit RGB       | 3 bytes per pixel
                 | Most common for photos, for example JPG
32 bit CMYK      | 4 bytes per pixel, for Prepress
48 bit RGB       | 6 bytes per pixel
File Compression techniques can make this data smaller while stored in the file, but it comes back out of the file uncompressed, with the original number of bytes when open in memory. JPG artifacts (lossy compression) just means the pixels may not all be the same original color, but there is the same number of pixels when uncompressed.

cday
XnThusiast
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Cheltenham, U.K.

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by cday » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:08 pm

The uploaded JP2 file which has very large pixel dimensions opens in another popular freeware software, but only after a very long delay.

JP2 files evidently need a lot of processing to decompress in images in them; when I created a multi-image PDF file using JPEG2000 compression once, stepping throught the pages was noticeably slower than when JPEG compression was used.

I see that there are actually two JPEG2000 plug-ins that can be downloaded for XnView software, and on testing the XnView Classic 'full' edition opens a small test JP2 file; the free version of the commercial plug-in JPEG 2000 LWF used by XnView software is stated in the plug-ins download page to have a pixel limit of 4096 x 4096 for writing to the format, possibly that limit also unstated applies to opening JP2 files?? No pixel limit is stated for the alternative 'JPEG2000' plug-in.

Note also that many plug-ins [but not necesarily those for JPEG2000] are 32-bit Windows plug-ins, and so can only be used with XnView Classic and the 32-bit versions of XnView MP and XnConvert.

[Edited]

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by XnTriq » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:00 pm

  • LuraWave
    • jpg2000_lwf.zip\lwf_jp2.dll (32-bit)
      “JPEG-2000 JP2/JPC File format (read/write) (Can only save images up to 4096x4096 pixels)”
  • JasPer
    • jp2000.zip\Xjp2.dll (32-bit)
      “JPEG-2000 JP2 File format (read/write)”
  • OpenJPEG
    • \XnView\Plugins\openjp2.dll (32-bit)
    • \XnViewMP\plugins\openjp2.dll (32-bit or 64-bit)
Related:

kxmp
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by kxmp » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:03 am

XnTriq wrote::-? 1.92 GB of free RAM should be enough for ct001844.jp2 (29'875 × 14'490 × 3 = 1'298'666'250). Can you open the file in other programs?
A few scanning tips [url=http://www.scantips.com/basics1d.html]Color Bit-Depth, & Memory Cost of Images[/url] wrote:Large images consume large memory and make our computers struggle. Memory cost for an image is computed from the image size.

For a 6x4 inch image printed at 300 dpi, the image size is calculated as:
  • (6 inches × 300 dpi) × (4 inches × 300 dpi) = 1800 × 1200 pixels
1800 × 1200 pixels is 1800×1200 = 2,160,000 pixels (2 megapixels).

The memory cost for this RGB color image is:
  • 1800 × 1200 × 3 = 6.48 million bytes.
The last "× 3" is for 3 bytes of RGB color information per pixel for 24 bit color (3 RGB values per pixel, one 8-bit byte for each RGB value, which totals 24 bit color).

The compressed JPG file will be smaller (maybe 10% of that size), selected by our choice for JPG Quality, but the smaller it is, the worse the image quality. The larger it is, the better the image quality. If uncompressed, it is three bytes per pixel.

Different color modes have different size data values, as shown below:

Code: Select all

Image Type       | Bytes per pixel
-----------------+----------------------------------------
1 bit Line art   | 1/8 byte per pixel
                 | (1 bit per pixel, 8 bits per byte)
8 bit Grayscale  | 1 byte per pixel
16 bit Grayscale | 2 bytes per pixel
24 bit RGB       | 3 bytes per pixel
                 | Most common for photos, for example JPG
32 bit CMYK      | 4 bytes per pixel, for Prepress
48 bit RGB       | 6 bytes per pixel
File Compression techniques can make this data smaller while stored in the file, but it comes back out of the file uncompressed, with the original number of bytes when open in memory. JPG artifacts (lossy compression) just means the pixels may not all be the same original color, but there is the same number of pixels when uncompressed.
I can open it in IrfanView.

ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Contact:

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by ckit » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:44 am

Opens fine for me with XnViewMP 0.83, Win10 Pro x64 build 1607 or RS1 but it takes a really long time (40 seconds) to do it.

Intel i5 3570k stock speeds
16Gb 2133Mhz DDR3 Dual Channel
All my drives are SSD's
XnViewMP 64bits and Windows 10 Pro x64 2004
PhotoFiltre Studio X

cday
XnThusiast
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Cheltenham, U.K.

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by cday » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:19 am

ckit wrote:Opens fine for me with XnViewMP 0.83, Win10 Pro x64 build 1607 or RS1 but it takes a really long time (40 seconds) to do it.
XnView MP x32 or x64, and which plug-ins do you have installed?

I could only get the 'can't open' message, but I didn't have time to try all the options.

ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Contact:

Re: 0.82: Can't open this JP2 file!

Post by ckit » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:52 am

cday wrote:
ckit wrote:Opens fine for me with XnViewMP 0.83, Win10 Pro x64 build 1607 or RS1 but it takes a really long time (40 seconds) to do it.
XnView MP x32 or x64, and which plug-ins do you have installed?

I could only get the 'can't open' message, but I didn't have time to try all the options.
XnViewMP x64 and default plug-ins only which as far as I know are the only ones available.
XnViewMP 64bits and Windows 10 Pro x64 2004
PhotoFiltre Studio X

Post Reply