Stars deleted when deleting thumbnail cache

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

ottonormaluser

Stars deleted when deleting thumbnail cache

Post by ottonormaluser » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to recreate all my thumbnails and so I went to Settings->Catalog->Cache maintenance and pressed "Delete all". After that all my stars where lost which was very painful because hours of work were simply lost. It is not comprehensible that the stars are deleted when deleting the thumbnails. Is there any way to bring my stars back?

Best regards

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Stars deleted when deleting thumbnail cache

Post by xnview » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:28 pm

so you use only catalog to store rating, right?
'Delete all' delete ALL entries, not only thumbnails. For thumbnails, you have 'optimize...'
Pierre.

jadO

Post by jadO » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:52 am

xnview wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:28 pm
so you use only catalog to store rating, right?
'Delete all' delete ALL entries, not only thumbnails. For thumbnails, you have 'optimize...'
I was not aware of this either. Until now I believed that these setting have effect on the thumbnail cache not the entire catalog information.
The wording in that dialog is highly misleading because first checkbox it is referring to "Enable catalog" and below that it refers to "Enable thumbnail caching".
So when the dialog on the bottom says "cache maintenance" and "cache directory" you would believe it is referring to the "thumbnail cache" not to the "catalog".

I have just tried that with a copy and it is true, it deletes anything: Categories, ratings, colors. So you could lose days, months or years of work cataloging files.
I think this should be changed asap to reflect the real nature of this function as it does not "delete the cache" it deletes the catalog. A cache is something entirely different than the one and only master database holding all meta information.

sinusq

Post by sinusq » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:34 am

I agree that is very misleading. Ive just lost my ratings from few catalogs <angry>. I was so confused, that in first place I lost my trust to XM and returned to my old catalog app and tried to find solution, that lead me here.
Now I have to check again thousands of my photos due to that "function"
Just writing to share my bad feelings and anger about it.

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview » Fri May 01, 2020 8:03 am

jadO wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:52 am
The wording in that dialog is highly misleading because first checkbox it is referring to "Enable catalog" and below that it refers to "Enable thumbnail caching".
So when the dialog on the bottom says "cache maintenance" and "cache directory" you would believe it is referring to the "thumbnail cache" not to the "catalog".
It's ''catalog maintenance', not 'cache maintenance'
I think this should be changed asap to reflect the real nature of this function as it does not "delete the cache" it deletes the catalog. A cache is something entirely different than the one and only master database holding all meta information.
you have the warning dialog box before
Pierre.