When I'm browsing through a collection of short videos downloaded from then internet, I have issues with video playback.
Previously those were all animated GIFs, and everything was fine. But now they are video files, and the following issues happen:
- For any video, there is a ~1 second delay before the image appears. When I switch to the next video, the audio playback starts instantly, but the image is black screen for a short while. If the video is a short looped animation, it won't be visible at all.
- When browsing through videos, there's a chance that the video will not be visible at all and remain black screen. In order to work around this issue, I switch back to the previous video/image, then forward again. This means that the same video file will either fail or play randomly. It's not that some files always play and some always fail.
- Some videos are very laggy. It feels like a low framerate, but it's not even. It's rather a 0.5 second freeze followed by 0.5 second of normal 30-FPS playback, followed by 0.5 second of freeze... The amount of lagging always varies, but unlike the previous problem, this is consistent across files: if a certain video file is laggy, it will always be laggy in XnViewMP.
Here's codec info of one such video from an .mp4 container:
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 640x360 29.97fps 685kbps [V: h264 high L3.0, yuv420p, 640x360, 685 kb/s]
Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo 128kbps [A: SoundHandler (aac lc, 48000 Hz, stereo, 128 kb/s)]
This is a very typical container/codec used for millions of videos on the internet.
- Screen tearing (lack of V-Sync). I have fast V-Sync enforced globally in GeForce Control Panel but this does not seem to help.
- How do I make video playback loop?? I have found no video-related settings in Preferences.
XnView MP Windows Version 0.99.6 64bits (Dec 10 2021)
Libformat version 7.99
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
I have K-Lite Mega Code Pack installed but I have no idea if it's used by XnViewMP.
The PC is a very fast build: Ryzen 2700X, 64 GB RAM, Optane 900P SSD, 1070 Ti.