Include subfolder in quick search

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jadO

Include subfolder in quick search

Post by jadO »

Could we get a checkbox for quick search to include subdirectories.
Quick search is very handy but it does not search in subfolders. For that advanced search must be used. It would be great to have a checkbox or ini/default setting to set quick search feature to search in subfolders as well.
xerkon

Re: Include subfolder in quick search

Post by xerkon »

I will second the addition of this feature. My dad is not computer savvy at all and so for him to go into the full-fledged search window is kind of daunting (not to mention slow). It would be awesome if quick search would search sub-folders. As it is now, I am forced to have a second copy of all my pictures for him, this one with all photos in one folder, so that he can use quick search.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Because Quick Search is a real-time incremental search (it shows the results real-time) it can be confusing for the users to see photos appearing from „nowhere”. The Quick-Search should only search on the scope of the current pane.

However you can do your job now:

1. Go to desired folder
2. Right-Click on it and choose „Show All Files (recursive)”.
3. Use Quick-Search

Enjoy! :)

However, this feature (Show All Files (recursive)) isn't discoverable and, also:

- does not work from „Favorites” tab
- one cannot assign a shortcut key for it.
- we cannot have a toolbar button for it.

For Pierre:

Solution: OBVIOUS: make an action for „Show All Files (recursive)”
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
helmut

Post by helmut »

cmd_showRecursive is available in v0.84 (probably earlier). So those users that know what they do can define a shortcut and the use quick search in current folder and all its subfolders.

:arrow: Closed
jadO

Post by jadO »

m.Th. wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 am Because Quick Search is a real-time incremental search (it shows the results real-time) it can be confusing for the users to see photos appearing from „nowhere”. The Quick-Search should only search on the scope of the current pane.

However you can do your job now:

1. Go to desired folder
2. Right-Click on it and choose „Show All Files (recursive)”.
3. Use Quick-Search

Enjoy! :)

However, this feature (Show All Files (recursive)) isn't discoverable and, also:

- does not work from „Favorites” tab
- one cannot assign a shortcut key for it.
- we cannot have a toolbar button for it.

For Pierre:

Solution: OBVIOUS: make an action for „Show All Files (recursive)”
I want to reopen this bug as the solution does not solve one issue:

Quick search does search in folder names. "Show All Files" does not search in folder names.

This leads to the problem that you cannot find files which are in a particular folder but do not include the folder name.

It is like said in the linked posting if you have a folder /m/misc/customername and in that folder are only image names img_1-img_1500 there seems to be no way to find those if you only remember customername. It seems that quick search would not pick up the folder customername and regular search would not pick it up either.
Using show all files does not help as it does not show folders so even after setting this (which is close to impossible on a really huge number of files) still quick search would not pick it up, instead you would have to browse through all files displayed.

To solve this specific case following could be done:
1. Setting to search in folder names also
2. Make quick search recursive (because it searches already in folder names)
3. Keep folders in browser when selecting "Show All Files"
4. Add a folder search in folder pane similar to category search in categories pane.

However I think the best way would be to let the user decide where quick search should search and for that to create additional check boxes in the settings for quick search to select/unselect if quick search should search in
1. Folder name
2. Recursive
and even 3. Category name

(Maybe even more settings, like case sensitive, regex etc.)