Plugins

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

ianas
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Re: Plugins

Post by ianas » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm

xnview wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:05 pm
yes but they pay perhaps the patent ;)
the latest GIMP added heif import/export support I doubt they payed anyone anything
https://www.gimp.org/news/2018/05/20/gi ... age-format
apparently microsoft's added heif support in windows 10 build 17123
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... gJHc5Q8.97
I can confirm that after downloading a codec from the microsoft store microsoft photos can open heif files as far as I can tell no write support

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31895
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Plugins

Post by xnview » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:56 am

ianas wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm
I can confirm that after downloading a codec from the microsoft store microsoft photos can open heif files as far as I can tell no write support
yes but libx265 is only in GPL license not LGPL :(
Pierre.

ianas
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Re: Plugins

Post by ianas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:39 pm

xnview wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:56 am
ianas wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm
I can confirm that after downloading a codec from the microsoft store microsoft photos can open heif files as far as I can tell no write support
yes but libx265 is only in GPL license not LGPL :(
I understand that the GPL is extremely restrictive
to be clear the plugin is read only with no write support are there plans for write support?

one of the reasons jpeg stuck around for so long was the lack of patent restrictions (almost)
talking patents and jpeg the arithmetic coding patent has ended and libjpeg-turbo already has arithmetic coding support and XnView MP can read arithmetically encoded jpeg's can we get write support (a check box use arithmetic instead of Huffman coding)

bucky
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 am

Re: Plugins

Post by bucky » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 am

xnview wrote: - HEIF format x32 bits and x64 bits
Looks like those are Windows DLLs. Any XnView MP plugins for Mac that support HEIF / HEIC files?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31895
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Plugins

Post by xnview » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:52 pm

bucky wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 am
Looks like those are Windows DLLs. Any XnView MP plugins for Mac that support HEIF / HEIC files?
Next version for MacOSX will support natively HEIC
Pierre.

b01d
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: Plugins

Post by b01d » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am

xnview wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:52 pm
bucky wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 am
Looks like those are Windows DLLs. Any XnView MP plugins for Mac that support HEIF / HEIC files?
Next version for MacOSX will support natively HEIC
0.93? Or other?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 31895
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Plugins

Post by xnview » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm

b01d wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am
xnview wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:52 pm
bucky wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 am
Looks like those are Windows DLLs. Any XnView MP plugins for Mac that support HEIF / HEIC files?
Next version for MacOSX will support natively HEIC
0.93? Or other?
yes 0.93 Mac
Pierre.

Post Reply