Setting 'Single ESC to Exit' does not work in Full Screen

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Manuel
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Setting 'Single ESC to Exit' does not work in Full Screen

Post by Manuel »

Hi,

first of all I'm a very happy user of XnView for several months now, thank you! But, I think I maybe have found a bug:

In Options > Misc, and then DE-selecting the option 'Single ESC to Exit'. DE-, or UN-selecting this has no effect when viewing a file in Full Sreen mode. In other words, the program exits immediately. The bug applies to version 1.70.4 for Windows, I had no problems with version 1.70.2. I use the Escape button a lot to return from Full Screen to browser mode, I hope this can be repaired?

Thank you! Manuel
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

I confirm :bug:
Manuel
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Post by Manuel »

Dreamer wrote:I confirm :bug:
Thank you. And I can reproduce the strange behaviour always
ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Contact:

Post by ckit »

I can't re-produce this bug, every time I use the Escape button I return to Browser Mode after viewing a picture in full screen. However if I start XnView and then press ESC it exits fine.

XnView v1.70.4
Win2k SP4
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34093
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: De-selecting 'Single ESC to Exit' not working in Full Sc

Post by xnview »

Manuel wrote:In Options > Misc, and then DE-selecting the option 'Single ESC to Exit'. DE-, or UN-selecting this has no effect when viewing a file in Full Sreen mode. In other words, the program exits immediately. The bug applies to version 1.70.4 for Windows, I had no problems with version 1.70.2. I use the Escape button a lot to return from Full Screen to browser mode, I hope this can be repaired?
It's not a bug, when you start xnview in fullscreen, ESC exit xnview, if you want to return to the browser press enter.
Pierre.
Manuel
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Re: De-selecting 'Single ESC to Exit' not working in Full Sc

Post by Manuel »

xnview wrote:It's not a bug, when you start xnview in fullscreen, ESC exit xnview, if you want to return to the browser press enter.
Pierre.
Thank you for your quick response. I didn't know about pressing Enter returns to browser, it might be in the Help-file, but I can not read HTML help (have stripped my Win98 bare of all Internet Explorer related stuff), and would prefer the good old HELP files (.hlp).

However: I really liked more the behaviour with Escape in version 1.70.2, in my humble oppinion it's more logical too: in Full Screen, 1xEscape=View File, then 1xEscape=Browser Mode, then 1 more time Escape exits browser, but not yet XnView, I don't mind hitting Escape a few more times, it gives me more functionality, and if I want to exit completely I just hit ALT+F4. A part from this single annoyance I like XnView very much, thanks again for prividing it. (But I think I'll stick to 1.70.2)
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34093
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: De-selecting 'Single ESC to Exit' not working in Full Sc

Post by xnview »

Manuel wrote:However: I really liked more the behaviour with Escape in version 1.70.2, in my humble oppinion it's more logical too: in Full Screen, 1xEscape=View File, then 1xEscape=Browser Mode, then 1 more time Escape exits browser, but not yet XnView, I don't mind hitting Escape a few more times, it gives me more functionality, and if I want to exit completely I just hit ALT+F4. A part from this single annoyance I like XnView very much, thanks again for prividing it. (But I think I'll stick to 1.70.2)
Perhaps there is a mistake.
How do you use the fullscreen view mode?
You launch xnview, start the browser and view file in fullscreen?
Pierre.
Manuel
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Re: De-selecting 'Single ESC to Exit' not working in Full Sc

Post by Manuel »

xnview wrote:Perhaps there is a mistake.
How do you use the fullscreen view mode?
You launch xnview, start the browser and view file in fullscreen?
Pierre.
I use XnView in 2 ways: 1: View a single file. I like it to start Full Screen, so it does, and then hit Escape to eventualy edit it. 2: Start with program, no file yet, then start browser and view files in Full Scrren, hit Escape to eventuly edit a file. This is not working anymore in 1.70.4, in 1.70.2 it did, to my great pleasure. Just discoverd a related(?) bug(?): when in Full Sreen CTRL+F4 should close a sub-window in the program. It does in 1.70.2, but it exits XnView in 1.70.4. Not default Windows behaviour (CTRL+F4 should close sub-window, never program itself)
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 34093
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: De-selecting 'Single ESC to Exit' not working in Full Sc

Post by xnview »

Manuel wrote:2: Start with program, no file yet, then start browser and view files in Full Scrren, hit Escape to eventuly edit a file. This is not working anymore in 1.70.4, in 1.70.2 it did, to my great pleasure. Just discoverd a related(?) bug(?): when in Full Sreen CTRL+F4 should close a sub-window in the program. It does in 1.70.2, but it exits XnView in 1.70.4. Not default Windows behaviour (CTRL+F4 should close sub-window, never program itself)
Ok, a :bugconfirmed:
Pierre.
Manuel
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Re: De-selecting 'Single ESC to Exit' not working in Full Sc

Post by Manuel »

xnview wrote:Ok, a :bugconfirmed:
Pierre.
A pleasure that I could be helpfull in finding the animal = :-))

P.S. I'm not a progammer, but is it an idea to disable Escape for exitting XnView, I don't need Escape for that, as there's allready ALT+F4, it might solve the bug? (If this is a complete nonsense suggestion, no need to response to it, as I said: I'm not a progammer so don't know if it works).

Hope you'll find a solution, Manuel
ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Contact:

Post by ckit »

You can already disable the ESC key by unticking the "Single ESC to exit"
Manuel
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Post by Manuel »

ckit wrote:You can already disable the ESC key by unticking the "Single ESC to exit"
But that is exactly whay's NOT working. Unticking that option has no effect what so ever. I called it DE-selecting, or UN-selecting, because I didn't know the correct English word for it, I thougt it was clear anyway what I mend

P.S. Update: ticking the option, so that is ON, has the opposite effect: it does not exit on a single Escape, but this only happens when I first open browser, then file, then exit Full Screen by CTRL+F (file is still open then, but not in Full Screen anymore), then hit Escape, then file closes (but not program and browser), next Escape closes program then.
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8219
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

For all I know, Pierre has implemented the 'Esc' key behaviour in the way it was discussed in 'Esc' should exit XnView.

So before writing "Yes, I have this bug, too!" please have a close look at the infos given in this topic and topic 'Esc' should exit XnView.

Thank you.
Manuel
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm

Post by Manuel »

helmut wrote:For all I know, Pierre has implemented the 'Esc' key behaviour in the way it was discussed in 'Esc' should exit XnView.

So before writing "Yes, I have this bug, too!" please have a close look at the infos given in this topic and topic 'Esc' should exit XnView.

Thank you.
Hi Helmut, I've read that discussion now. Interesting what different people use the Escape key for, but I was not realy talking about that, but about that 'Single ESC to Exit' option cann't be switched off, or, it looks in 'Options' that it can be switched off, but this no effect when in Full Sreen. With the option switched off (so that it should NOT exit on a single Escape) it still does when in Full Screen.

Have a nice day!
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8219
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

Manuel wrote:... I've read that discussion now. Interesting what different people use the Escape key for, but I was not really talking about that, but about that 'Single ESC to Exit' option cann't be switched off,...
Right. I just wanted to be pro-active and make people aware that some behaviour of the Esc key behaviour is actually intended and not a bug. In your case we surely have a bug :bug:.

Greetings,

Helmut
Post Reply