batch convert issues

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

batch convert issues

Post by loth » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:37 pm

hi all,


first:
i moved to a new flat and are not connected to the holy internet. (for now)
so i cannot research the forum for articles which may be doublettes of my following posts.
i'm commiting the following posts from a place, where i can't research the forum as long as i could do from home :-)
so please excuse any "doublettes", if so.



1) in the "batch convert"-window, i'd like to have a checkbox which says "use current directory" and which will set the output directory automaticly to the current dir (in browsermode). now, the user has select the directory manual.

2) advanced operations: doublecicking on a process should add/remove the process automaticly

3) if i choose rotate, i only can set the parameter from -180 to 180. it would be nice, to have a small preview thumbnail, to see the result.
not a complete high quality preview, but maybe a black solid rectangle with the same ratio than the current (input)pic or just a plain black square or something the user could see the rotation in "realtime".
loth

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: batch convert issues

Post by Dreamer » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:48 am

loth wrote:1) in the "batch convert"-window, i'd like to have a checkbox which says "use current directory" and which will set the output directory automaticly to the current dir (in browsermode). now, the user has select the directory manual.

Duplicate (you can empty path area to do this).

2) advanced operations: doublecicking on a process should add/remove the process automaticly

Duplicate.

3) if i choose rotate, i only can set the parameter from -180 to 180. it would be nice, to have a small preview thumbnail, to see the result.
not a complete high quality preview, but maybe a black solid rectangle with the same ratio than the current (input)pic or just a plain black square or something the user could see the rotation in "realtime".

It's Batch convert, so usually there are many pictures in the list, I think it would be useless, you can rotate images in View mode, with shortcuts, toolbar buttons, there is also Undo...

User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

Re: batch convert issues

Post by loth » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:27 am

1)
and how does the user know that? this is not a common behaviour (neither in windows programs, nor in on any other OS i remember :-)

btw: an empty path areas doesnt symbolize the current directory. this must be "."

3)
true, i see that point.
so, for the people, who can't imagine 195° or -76° it would be helpful to see a black square with the current angel of the slider.
loth

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Re: batch convert issues

Post by ckv » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:28 pm

loth wrote:1)
and how does the user know that? this is not a common behaviour (neither in windows programs, nor in on any other OS i remember :-)

btw: an empty path areas doesnt symbolize the current directory. this must be "."
I did expect that, empty path means current directory. I don't know how did I know that, but...
Yeah "." is current directory, but I wonder how many beginner computer user knows that.

By the way. When you Search files with XnView and then use "batch convert" and you leave the path empty, XnView will save each image by using it's own path... And this is problem...
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

Re: batch convert issues

Post by loth » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:15 pm

ckv wrote:By the way. When you Search files with XnView and then use "batch convert" and you leave the path empty, XnView will save each image by using it's own path... And this is problem...
you're right ;-) i think thats a problem too.
although i like the feature you reported, i see why it's a problem and think, we have to find a better way to make xnview work more safety-conscious (sicherheitsbewusst, i checked that via leo.org, dunno other words, sorry..)
loth

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: batch convert issues

Post by Dreamer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:32 am

loth wrote:1)
and how does the user know that? this is not a common behaviour (neither in windows programs, nor in on any other OS i remember :-)

btw: an empty path areas doesnt symbolize the current directory. this must be "."
I meant, there is already discussion about solving this problem...

Here is another idea how to solve this problem, you can reply there (and you can fix "." / ".." symbols) - http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=19490#19490
loth wrote:
ckv wrote:By the way. When you Search files with XnView and then use "batch convert" and you leave the path empty, XnView will save each image by using it's own path... And this is problem...
you're right ;-) i think thats a problem too.
although i like the feature you reported, i see why it's a problem and think, we have to find a better way to make xnview work more safety-conscious (sicherheitsbewusst, i checked that via leo.org, dunno other words, sorry..)
I think it's correct, you can type other path if you don't like it...

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Re: batch convert issues

Post by ckv » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:29 pm

Dreamer wrote:I think it's correct, you can type other path if you don't like it...
Yeah it's correct. My post was a bit misleading.
I meant that if the empty path would not work and batch convert would automatically add the current directory to the target field, then it would be a problem because then the Search and batch convert wouldn't work right.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8176
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: batch convert issues

Post by helmut » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:38 pm

loth wrote: 1) in the "batch convert"-window, i'd like to have a checkbox which says "use current directory" and which will set the output directory automaticly to the current dir (in browsermode). now, the user has select the directory manual.
This has been discussed in topic "Save As" for Browser vs. Batch Convert".
loth wrote:2) advanced operations: doublecicking on a process should add/remove the process automaticly
I agree.
loth wrote:3) if i choose rotate, i only can set the parameter from -180 to 180. it would be nice, to have a small preview thumbnail, to see the result.
not a complete high quality preview, but maybe a black solid rectangle with the same ratio than the current (input)pic or just a plain black square or something the user could see the rotation in "realtime".
Yes, would be helpful. There are suggestions for the Rotate dialog, see topic "Custom Rotation: Slider". Perhaps the "Rotate" dialog and the Rotate parameters could be even made consistent.

Post Reply