Full screen with "hot areas" for mouse cursor

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Georg

Full screen with "hot areas" for mouse cursor

Post by Georg »

I just had a look at the FastStone Image Viewer http://faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm. Does not have the features I need and find in XnView. Though, the user interface is really nice and in certain areas much mor efficient than XnView's - Pierre, it's certainly a competitor to get inspiration from :)

What I liked very much and found very helpful: In full screen mode, moving the mouse to the 4 edges brings up menues. My favorite is the thumnail navigator (top), quite difficult to describe in words, just try it out - especially Pierre/Helmut/all other mods as they decide about feature requests. It's awesome! Really helpful when you want to select/mark images but they are so similar that you have to use full screen mode to decide what pic you want. When you wanna move on to the next picture group, just move the cursor up, scroll and click once. No need to go to browse and back to full screen.

I hope it is very quick to implement in XnView, as detecting the mouse position is trivial and the list view is nothing more than a 1 row file list that is already shown with multiple rows in browse mode => no new functionality has to be coded, just reuse.

I am aware this is related to "Strip of images" enhancement...
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5159 and Fullscreen information - auto-hide http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=1330
but adressing a different need.

In the long run, this approach could be extended to some kind of mouse gestures or hot areas. It'd have to be thought of functions that require full screen and make no sense in vew mode.

My 2 cents. Georg
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Full screen with "hot areas" for mouse cursor

Post by xnview »

Georg wrote:I just had a look at the FastStone Image Viewer http://faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm. Does not have the features I need and find in XnView. Though, the user interface is really nice and in certain areas much mor efficient than XnView's - Pierre, it's certainly a competitor to get inspiration from :)

What I liked very much and found very helpful: In full screen mode, moving the mouse to the 4 edges brings up menues. My favorite is the thumnail navigator (top), quite difficult to describe in words, just try it out - especially Pierre/Helmut/all other mods as they decide about feature requests. It's awesome! Really helpful when you want to select/mark images but they are so similar that you have to use full screen mode to decide what pic you want. When you wanna move on to the next picture group, just move the cursor up, scroll and click once. No need to go to browse and back to full screen.
Yes, could be a great improvment...
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I support this request!

I think it was requested already, but I cannot find it.

What about other options? Perhaps advanced image/file properties / EXIF info would be useful (on the right), or/and folder tree (on the left).

Any other suggestions?
Dreamer
Stitscher

Post by Stitscher »

Support! ++

I tested Faststone a while ago, but did not notice this feature.
Great!

Stitscher
Georg

Post by Georg »

Dreamer wrote:What about other options? Perhaps advanced image/file properties / EXIF info would be useful (on the right), or/and folder tree (on the left).

Any other suggestions?
Seeing the descript.ion entry is something quite useful for further information (just like EXIF). I'd love most to have the choice for, let's say the corners, so
  • fixed functions: left=folder tree (used to from explorer and website (1st level navigation)), top=film stripe (common place for choosing within main navigational element), right=EXIF/IPTC (in file managers, details are on the right), bottom=slide show options (or something like that).
  • user defined functions:left top=descript.ion entry, right top=copy, right bottom=move, left bottom=zoom to 100%
I imagine to do the assotiation like it is done for hotkey mapping in some programs. And I imagine that the sensible areas are like that:
This avoids "collisions" between moving to the edge and moving to the side.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I hope for a similar mousing behavior for the panels of the XnView browser tab, too. Many new graphics (and non-graphics) softwares have this functionality. Try Corel PhotoAlbum, Adobe LightWave, PaintShopPro, for instance.
John
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

I just discovered the new rating and tagging feature in 1.9 alpha. I'd like to be able to rate and tag images when viewing them on my Tablet PC in slate mode, meaning: I have only the pen (=mouse) and no keyboard available. For UMPC users this is even more critical as the UMPCs do not have a keyboard at all.

I can imagine this very well on the right side (widely used for details and nice for right handed people; for lefties, offer to mirror it): Approaching the right screen border opens the details "window", containing the tabs EXIF/rating+tagging+categories/file properties/whatever. This will also help the mouse users to manage their pics. And the tabs allow in a very easy way to customize the gesture stuff. Thoughts?
/Georg
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I think this should be implemented in the next version, I know people who use the other program (mentioned above) mainly for these fullscreen features. XnView is very advanced program, but such a basic features are missing. Fullscreen is really weak in XnView.
Dreamer
AlterMann

Post by AlterMann »

Georg wrote:My favorite is the thumnail navigator (top)
Yes, this is definitely cool and very useful feature!

(But viewing speed is more important than this, of course.)
mostly harmless

Post by mostly harmless »

I had this on my list aswell.

The thumbnail-browser which lets you see thumbnails of the picture currently displayed full screen plus the next and previous 3-5 pictures in the currently browsed directory which appears when the mouse is moved to the top of the screen looks very usefull.

What was missing in Stone... when I had a look was a field to change meta data.

In XnView`s full screen mode I would also like to be able to see and change the rating for the image or tag it for being moved to the trash.
StickyNomad

Post by StickyNomad »

I also would really like to see the hot-corners in XnViews fullscreen-view. XnView is still my absolute no. 1 as an image browser and -viewer, but I have to admit I drooled quite a bit when I was trying faststone for a short time. Faststone is OK, not more. But its fullscreen mode is really useful.
regards,
StickyNomad
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

In XnViewMP full screen, the top shows an image strip (only with icons not thumbnail :( ) and right side shows Exif/IPTC/GPS/Categories/... It's a big step in the right direction :) Now fill film strip with thumbnails and allow user customizable actions for corners and we're very happy 8) :wink:
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

If you go to full-screen from the browser instead of an image, the thumbs will show.
John
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

JohnFredC wrote:If you go to full-screen from the browser instead of an image, the thumbs will show.
That's pretty self explaining UI design :evil: I guess it will change in the future :)
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP
MarkTJ

Post by MarkTJ »

JohnFredC wrote:If you go to full-screen from the browser instead of an image, the thumbs will show.
Image thumb will show thumbnail in bottom left corner when you hover an image link.