"Save as" in view mode overwrites without asking

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

KRH

"Save as" in view mode overwrites without asking

Post by KRH »

I don't how long it's been going on, but when I try to save an image in view mode in v. 1.80.3 as a separate image with a different name, whether I've edited it or not, if there is an existing file in the same folder with the same name, it automatically gets overwritten. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. Going through the options menu, I don't see any relevant settings that I can change..
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: "save as" in view mode overwrites without aski

Post by xnview »

KRH wrote:I don't how long it's been going on, but when I try to save an image in view mode in v. 1.80.3 as a separate image with a different name, whether I've edited it or not, if there is an existing file in the same folder with the same name, it automatically gets overwritten. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. Going through the options menu, I don't see any relevant settings that I can change..
Strange you should have a warning box when you select the new name in file/save as dialog...
Pierre.
KRH

Post by KRH »

As I say, I'm not sure how long it's been going on. I just recently became aware of it. The only thing I can think of to do is to try reinstalling.
Win98SE
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

KRH wrote:As I say, I'm not sure how long it's been going on. I just recently became aware of it. The only thing I can think of to do is to try reinstalling.
Yes please try...
Pierre.
KRH

Post by KRH »

I uninstalled, removed all associated files, cleaned the Windows registry, and reinstalled, but the problem persists.
Just to make sure my problem is clearly stated, here's what happens: Say, I open 1a.jpg from folder X, then I crop the image and save it as 1b. If there's already a 1b.jpg in that folder, it's silently overwritten.
Win98SE
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

KRH wrote:I uninstalled, removed all associated files, cleaned the Windows registry, and reinstalled, but the problem persists.
Just to make sure my problem is clearly stated, here's what happens: Say, I open 1a.jpg from folder X, then I crop the image and save it as 1b. If there's already a 1b.jpg in that folder, it's silently overwritten.
You use File/Save as, right?
Pierre.
KRH

Post by KRH »

I get the same result whether I use File/Save as or use the "Save as" button on the tool bar. I did, however, just now make a discovery: If I save the file to a folder other than the one from which I opened the original file (that is, folder y rather than folder x) and there is an existing file in that other folder with the same name, I do get a warning.
Win98SE
KRH

Post by KRH »

KRH wrote: I did, however, just now make a discovery: If I save the file to a folder other than the one from which I opened the original file (that is, folder y rather than folder x) and there is an existing file in that other folder with the same name, I do get a warning.
I have to revise that. What's really happening is that, no matter where I save the file, if I save it without an extension, it overwrites an existing file, but if I add the extension, it warns. Is that the default behavior? I'm sure it wasn't like that in v. 1.74.
Win98SE
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

KRH wrote:
KRH wrote: I did, however, just now make a discovery: If I save the file to a folder other than the one from which I opened the original file (that is, folder y rather than folder x) and there is an existing file in that other folder with the same name, I do get a warning.
I have to revise that. What's really happening is that, no matter where I save the file, if I save it without an extension, it overwrites an existing file, but if I add the extension, it warns. Is that the default behavior? I'm sure it wasn't like that in v. 1.74.
Confirmed on Win2K. It overwrites without warning if you don't have extension displayed in name box and if extension is automatically added. Example: "1" overwrites "1.jpg" in same directory with no warning box.
KRH

Post by KRH »

marsh wrote:Confirmed on Win2K. It overwrites without warning if you don't have extension displayed in name box and if extension is automatically added. Example: "1" overwrites "1.jpg" in same directory with no warning box.
That is the behavior I'm experiencing but I don't have Win2k, I have Win98SE.
Win98SE
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

KRH wrote:
Ok, right a bug, but same as 1.74!
Pierre.
KRH

Post by KRH »

xnview wrote:Ok, right a bug, but same as 1.74!
Could be. I really don't remember having the problem. Anyway, I guess the only solution is to be sure to include the extension when saving. Thanks for the info.
Win98SE
helmut

Post by helmut »

I've just added this one to the list of must fixes. Think no user should ever happen to overwrite a file.
KRH

Post by KRH »

I appreciate that. Thanks.
Win98SE
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Should be fixed, right?

I can't check it, I have Win XP.