Windows interface inconsistencies

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
foxyshadis
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:57 am

Windows interface inconsistencies

Post by foxyshadis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Since I've been using MP for a few days now, I've noticed some more issues. Some of these are Windows specific:

* F2 doesn't rename a file, in fact, there is no shortcut for rename.
* In fact, each platform should probably have its own set of shortcut keys, since a few others are missing; Gnome & KDE, OSX, and Windows all have different sets of shortcuts for certain common commands, although they have a lot in common, too. If I remember right, QT actually builds this functionality in. (Some overviews: Linux, Windows, OSX, skip down to Application.)
* Drag and drop only works for the main file pane, it doesn't work at all against the tree. That's pretty vital for file management, especially with folders hidden in the file panel.
* The tree pane doesn't detect when a new folder is created, even if you leave the subfolder and reopen it. You have to close MP completely to fix it.

Edit:
When viewing photos fullscreen, at a zoom larger than the screen, there seems to be no way to scroll or mouse around at all. Click-drag, the expected way, just draws an area to zoom to, as it does with any modifier. I'd expect that function to be in <i>ctrl</i>-click-drag, and regular click-drag just pan the image like it used to.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: Windows interface inconsistencies

Post by XnTriq » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:30 pm

foxyshadis wrote:When viewing photos fullscreen, at a zoom larger than the screen, there seems to be no way to scroll or mouse around at all. Click-drag, the expected way, just draws an area to zoom to, as it does with any modifier. I'd expect that function to be in <i>ctrl</i>-click-drag, and regular click-drag just pan the image like it used to.
There should be a small navigation proxy in the bottom right of your screen, foxyshadis.
Pontiaku ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=102338#p102338]Request. Drag and drop files in the folder tree[/url]) wrote:As for panning/dragging an image go to
Settings>Keyboard/Mouse
For Left button choose
Move Picture

User avatar
foxyshadis
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:57 am

Re: Windows interface inconsistencies

Post by foxyshadis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Oh, thanks, sorry about that. Somehow missed that, selective blindness.

A big feature request for the future: With screens getting wider and shorter, it might be a good time to get rid of that title bar, like a number of other apps are. It's surprisingly easy in QT, but then you have to add your own close buttons somewhere in the upper right. Sort of the way Firefox looks now. It'd be a great way to use up that extra space on the tab bar.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: Windows interface inconsistencies

Post by XnTriq » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 pm

foxyshadis wrote:Sort of the way Firefox looks now.
I support this request.

User avatar
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 am
Location: Ref Desk

Re: Windows interface inconsistencies

Post by XnTriq » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 pm

foxyshadis wrote:A big feature request for the future: With screens getting wider and shorter, it might be a good time to get rid of that title bar, like a number of other apps are. It's surprisingly easy in QT, but then you have to add your own close buttons somewhere in the upper right. Sort of the way Firefox looks now. It'd be a great way to use up that extra space on the tab bar.
The more I think about this idea, the more I like it.

From MozillaWiki:
OK, we're told “There is only one XUL!”, but perhaps Qt is able to put tabs in the title bar when the window is maximized?

User avatar
tegehel
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Windows interface inconsistencies

Post by tegehel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:08 pm

>Drag and drop only works for the main file pane, it doesn't work at all against the tree. That's pretty vital for file management, especially with folders hidden in the file panel.

Yes, I agree, this is really quite an omission in today's world. It needs to be addressed.
--
Cyril van der Haegen ▪ Illustrator
Website ▪ http://www.tegehel.org
Website ▪ http://www.tegehel.deviantart.com

Post Reply