REQ: Minor: Zoom in/out-Mouse wheel down/up?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

REQ: Minor: Zoom in/out-Mouse wheel down/up?

Post by Dreamer »

I suggest to use:

- wheel up to zoom out (-)
- wheel down to zoom in (+)


Or at least add option.

Few reasons:

- numpad keys "+" / "-" are also placed: + "down" / - "up"
- wheel to switch images is also: next image (+) wheel down / prev. image (-) wheel up
- in PhotoFiltre wheel down is used to zoom in too
- it's confusing to use it vice versa (in PhotoFiltre / numpad keys...)
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8219
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: REQ: Minor: Zoom in/out-Mouse wheel down/up?

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:I suggest to use:

- wheel up to zoom out (-)
- wheel down to zoom in (+)
Currently, it seems as if there is no common standard for Zooming in/out with the mouse wheel: Corel PhotoPaint does it the way XnView does it. Adobe Photoshop Elements does it vice versa (like PhotoFiltre).
Dreamer wrote:Or at least add option.
With the above as background, an option makes sense. Then, user can change the setting depending on what they are used to.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33886
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: REQ: Minor: Zoom in/out-Mouse wheel down/up?

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:I suggest to use:

- wheel up to zoom out (-)
- wheel down to zoom in (+)


Or at least add option.

Few reasons:

- numpad keys "+" / "-" are also placed: + "down" / - "up"
- wheel to switch images is also: next image (+) wheel down / prev. image (-) wheel up
- in PhotoFiltre wheel down is used to zoom in too
- it's confusing to use it vice versa (in PhotoFiltre / numpad keys...)
But some users user wheel to use prev/next image
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: REQ: Minor: Zoom in/out-Mouse wheel down/up?

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:But some users user wheel to use prev/next image
Yes, me too, but I have RMB+wheel to zoom in/out now :wink:

I mean only to change zoom +/- from up/down to down/up or add option.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33886
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: REQ: Minor: Zoom in/out-Mouse wheel down/up?

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:But some users user wheel to use prev/next image
Yes, me too, but I have RMB+wheel to zoom in/out now :wink:

I mean only to change zoom +/- from up/down to down/up or add option.
I think that it's more intuitive
- wheel up to zoom in (+)
- wheel down to zoom out (-)
And currently i don't want to add another option for that.
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: REQ: Minor: Zoom in/out-Mouse wheel down/up?

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:I think that it's more intuitive
- wheel up to zoom in (+)
- wheel down to zoom out (-)
Yes, but not for me and not if you use PhotoFiltre, it's confusing then...

Any PhotoFiltre users?
Olive
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:18 pm
Location: Marseille
Contact:

Post by Olive »

I'd agree with Dreamer. Generally, Wheel down is more often used that wheel up (scroll down lists/webpages, go to next, etc..) so when I want to zoom in I intuitively use wheel down, which zooms out instead :?
But no problem for me if Pierre prefers it otherwise :)
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33886
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview »

Olive wrote:I'd agree with Dreamer. Generally, Wheel down is more often used that wheel up (scroll down lists/webpages, go to next, etc..) so when I want to zoom in I intuitively use wheel down, which zooms out instead :?
But no problem for me if Pierre prefers it otherwise :)
I've checked in many others viewer, and seems to be the same as XnView...
Pierre.
User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8219
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut »

For those people using a specific graphic program a lot which works the other way round, the current Zooming behaviour can be a bit disturbing. When zooming the wrong way you'll find out immediately and simply scroll the other way round. Nothing damaged or changed, so it's not a big deal. As written above, there is no real standard, so if you simply change the current behaviour, you will make some users happy, but other users sad.

If you really want to touch and change this, an option will be needed to set the Zooming behaviour.
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:For those people using a specific graphic program a lot which works the other way round, the current Zooming behaviour can be a bit disturbing.
Right.

If we have option for almost all mouse features, why not add option also for this? There is a free space in options > view > keyboard/mouse :wink:
User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC »

With regard to wheel zooming, XNView behaves the way I expect it to.

PhotoPhiltre does not.
John
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer »

OK, maybe in 1.81?
Post Reply