0.98.0: back/forward button on mouse doesn't work in browser

Bugs which have been reproduced by a second user or the developer, or features to do

Moderators: helmut, XnTriq, xnview, Dreamer

fireattack

0.98.0: back/forward button on mouse doesn't work in browser

Post by fireattack »

XnView: MP 0.98.0 - 64 bit

Basically what title says. They should go back/forward just like the buttons on toolbar do.
Dakar

Re: 98.0: back/forward button on mouse doesn't work in browser

Post by Dakar »

I would really like to see this working in the browser, too. I'm using version 99.7 now.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, perhaps in view mode too?
Pierre.
Dakar

Post by Dakar »

Hello Piere,

I never missed it in view mode, I use the scroll wheel. But having the back/forward button on the mouse in the browser to go back/forward in the directories would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
null_subject

Re: 0.98.0: back/forward button on mouse doesn't work in browser

Post by null_subject »

This is a de facto standard across all modern operating systems, as well as in any "browsing" subsection of the vast majority of professional software. I would appreciate seeing this added in as well. I am currently using a autohotkey script to provide this essential feature. I think a 1.00 release of this amazing tool should have such an obvious niggle rectified.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented in the view mode, other than the way it already is. At the moment, for me, back and forward are stepping forwards and backwards through the images within the same folder. I think this is totally acceptable behavior from a professional UX standpoint. You could have the back button go back to the browser view, I suppose, some users may prefer that.

I think the quickest, and most appropriate fix would simply be to allow side mouse buttons to be bound in the settings, and to add a default bind to the back and forward shortcuts already present in the options (settings->interface->shortcuts->back/forward).

If for some reason this is too difficult/annoying to implement, then having the side button go back/forward in browser would be a great start!

Thanks for all the hard work!