1.12.1: Search not working with long value fields

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: xnview, Dreamer

Plaster
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:58 pm

1.12.1: Search not working with long value fields

Post by Plaster »

XnView: MP 1.12.1 64bit
OS: Windows 11

I happen to have a lot of images with a field named "Description". These fields often hold text that is over ~3000 characters long.

When searching via ExitTool value, it will seemingly only search up to (from what I found in my testing) 256 characters inside of that field, everything after gets ignored. This results in the search not finding files with certain values in the field, despite the fields containing the searched text.

To reproduce:
1. Find / create an image with a field that includes a lot of unique text.
2. Try searching for a snipped of text that occurs past 256 characters inside of the searched field.
3. The search won't find the images.
Actual behaviour (bug): Won't find images when searching a value despite the imagine containing the searched value. :bug:

Expected behaviour: Finds all images which contain the searched value.

-----

I can guess this has to do with a character limit in the database, which I can understand, however I can't find a workaround and I have a lot of images with a very long description text value.

If it helps, here's an example of one file I was looking at.

Code: Select all

{"application":"VRCX","version":1,"author":{"id":"usr_b39650a5-f975-456a-9f5f-d4f58eb593e6","displayName":"Plaster"},"world":{"name":"Beach Party","id":"wrld_d9d91fd7-997e-4fa3-8af2-539f6f1a4e6a","instanceId":"wrld_d9d91fd7-997e-4fa3-8af2-539f6f1a4e6a:80427~group(grp_5a0fa86d-d48b-4718-8cb3-1b673a4058ba)~groupAccessType(members)~region(use)"},"players":[{"id":"usr_2be6eb39-da93-469e-be1a-97b100bdd548","displayName":"Balblair"},{"id":"usr_66f377cd-efdb-4154-941f-99d5b56ef5c2","displayName":"Studmuffin47"},{"id":"usr_2f95805a-2db9-4375-81b2-42a971c61b39","displayName":"ZoeSnowy"},{"id":"usr_6830483f-b08d-44f6-b842-f0b4b8edf008","displayName":"Robotnik"},{"id":"usr_592f6314-acef-4622-ba08-a1f4fef3d3f9","displayName":"Sparktimus"},{"id":"usr_9777b5c3-c451-41a5-8655-f500d4dfd399","displayName":"Rosey-Rose"},{"id":"usr_236c5d53-0524-4444-9554-a367c7f22be9","displayName":"Wadol"},{"id":"usr_0ac5e86d-8ed3-4392-a474-59f1c5749971","displayName":"Sharrison"},{"id":"usr_9f9096e2-ea8d-4b24-b5b9-49d0c45ff11f","displayName":"FixEEt"},{"id":"usr_9fcba44b-6525-4a0b-a576-286523923590","displayName":"Vansharkos"},{"id":"usr_5394e160-c61f-4194-9929-922f1d86df67","displayName":"AniCator"},{"id":"usr_4d46e8b7-d37b-4c49-b335-5f9d8856c035","displayName":"Dexming"},{"id":"usr_f72eb4dc-98fd-42df-b0ff-ce84616f3550","displayName":"AriesToffle"},{"id":"usr_41f66dc7-7387-46cd-9f08-873871a2857d","displayName":"hatsammypoles"},{"id":"usr_786b4129-dd6e-447c-ba58-dc09273b11cc","displayName":"TerruMakkara"},{"id":"usr_eace9f82-8a95-455c-b54c-d327ba8c54ad","displayName":"anDWAP"},{"id":"usr_7a9747b6-15bb-4a55-9e81-fe3b8f011b9a","displayName":"Ta-Nya"},{"id":"usr_926dac1a-5027-4d27-8697-43e4bbbe608e","displayName":"itsZangeese"},{"id":"usr_a38990fd-97ac-4a15-b3ee-c5fa40237c18","displayName":"Catboy Slim"},{"id":"usr_fd30444b-0d1e-4189-a89a-81bb4656f40a","displayName":"Swissy"},{"id":"usr_8727c0ef-3f92-4a0d-a0fc-0e9f44aeaa37","displayName":"Kelazun"},{"id":"usr_b39650a5-f975-456a-9f5f-d4f58eb593e6","displayName":"Plaster"},{"id":"usr_2ce63acf-9790-454a-a032-d7b30e7d0e28","displayName":"DrDarkly"},{"id":"usr_0700d3e6-405b-4acd-88b1-499968fc73d3","displayName":"IAmMuToo"},{"id":"usr_09d9ca79-b1b8-446b-8175-c415e359086a","displayName":"Terrific Tea"},{"id":"usr_fb543241-0f4e-404d-8b2a-db8c4ce2a9ab","displayName":"Salty_Peanut"},{"id":"usr_ca1c1153-b191-4103-856a-894ac5f71ced","displayName":"~Spezza~"},{"id":"usr_a1a63e4e-c109-4f7d-b4b0-834be541b925","displayName":"tabithamoon"},{"id":"usr_f9716218-9f6b-471b-a6a3-5285190670ed","displayName":"Omnyx"},{"id":"usr_787f6943-eae1-4f96-bb14-7f770bc9e9f6","displayName":"Jacketto"},{"id":"usr_ad277011-0f20-404d-9a67-0dd4bf4ccee4","displayName":"PvtTwinkletoes"},{"id":"usr_f7b294e5-d06d-4a24-95b7-6e5e33ebc6fd","displayName":"Lucinice"},{"id":"usr_8743142f-1b55-4a97-a9cf-342845d55397","displayName":"MORA ADORA"},{"id":"usr_7c9e48c6-44d1-4ef9-8ef5-41a4d6a1fb6f","displayName":"cherry chainsaw"},{"id":"usr_c6985e2a-f650-440a-a49e-7a7ee23fca73","displayName":"Braemha"},{"id":"usr_b8f69d71-f689-4e99-9370-3b2caa3f7a53","displayName":"Humin"}]}
I could search for the term "instanceId" no problem, but when searching for a term that shows up later (for example "grp_5a0fa86d"), this doesn't give me any results anymore despite having checked the file manually and finding the text in there.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 48738
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: 1.12.1: Search not working with long value fields

Post by xnview »

which exiftool field do you use?
Plaster
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:58 pm

Re: 1.12.1: Search not working with long value fields

Post by Plaster »

xnview wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:24 pm which exiftool field do you use?
The images use the field "Description" so that's what I used for the search.

Edit: It might be more helpful to have an example image (not gonna embed it because it's 4k - 8.2MB
https://plaster.neocities.org/VRChat_20 ... 0x2160.png

Here the word "Nights" can be searched and it lists this image just fine, but when trying to search for example a listed name "Terru" it doesn't show any results.