JPEG XL colours appear muted

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderator: xnview

simbun
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2026 12:19 pm

JPEG XL colours appear muted

Post by simbun »

I'm looking to use JPEG XL for storing album artwork, but, having converted a handful of images I've noticed they appear muted in XnView. I'm using the official library (https://github.com/libjxl/libjxl/releases v0.12.0) to perform the lossless conversions and the resulting images look fine in FastStone viewer.

Here's my powershell script:

Code: Select all

$CJXL_EXE="C:\Program Files\encoders\jxl-x64-windows-static\bin\cjxl.exe"

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/0/Music125/v4/76/96/d1/7696d110-c929-4908-8fa1-30aad2511c55/00602567485872.rgb.jpg" -OutFile "00602567485872.rgb.jpg"

& $CJXL_EXE --quiet --lossless_jpeg=1 "00602567485872.rgb.jpg" output.jxl
Muted.jpg
XnView is on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 48767
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: JPEG XL colours appear muted

Post by xnview »

please send us the files?
with 1.12.1?
simbun
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2026 12:19 pm

Re: JPEG XL colours appear muted

Post by simbun »

I put the source in the code block because the files are too large to attach and I didn't want to pre-process them. If you'd still like both copies let me know and I'll upload them to a file share. Here's the source: https://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/0/Musi ... 72.rgb.jpg

Yes I tested with 1.12.1 on Windows.