doubleclick opens browser and closes tab

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

herr_k.

doubleclick opens browser and closes tab

Post by herr_k. »

would be nice to have the option to change the behavior of doubleclicking on a picture.

now: doubleclick a thumb in the browser -> tab with the picture opens. you doubleclick on the full picture and the browser is focused, the tab with the picture remains.

future: doubleclick a thumb in the browser -> tab with the picture opens. doubleclick on the full picture and the browser is focused, the tab with the picture is closed.

thx

------------------
this is just for me to keep track of my former posts before registering :mrgreen::
window2image fit, thumbborders, .ini folder, toolbarbuttons, pasteposition, separate toolbarclose
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: doubleclick option

Post by xnview »

herr_k. wrote:future: doubleclick a thumb in the browser -> tab with the picture opens. doubleclick on the full picture and the browser is focused, the tab with the picture is closed.
Everyone agree with that? Perhaps only one option like "Only one view opened"??
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: doubleclick option

Post by Olivier_G »

So we have people who want to switch back to Browser with the current View closed or open, who want to open Fullscreen or Normal... and who want to swap Fullscreen/Normal.

What about changing switching modes to:

Code: Select all

*Browser
-> View (normal)       (+drop-down lists: [Mouse|v]  [Keyboard|v])
-> View (fullscreen)     ""

*View
Close View -> Browser    ""
Keep View -> Browser     ""
Normal<>Fullscreen       ""
Default behaviour could be:
(in Browser)
- 'Double Left Click' / Enter: Browser -> View (normal)
- 'Shift+Double Left Click' / Shift+Enter: Browser -> View (fullscreen)
(in View)
- 'Double Left Click' / Enter: Close View -> Browser
- 'Shift+Double Left Click' / Shift+Enter: Keep View -> Browser
- 'Middle Click' / Tab: Normal <> Fullscreen

Olivier
PS: I know that 'Tab' is used for Selection swap, but I thought it was more obvious this way... comments/suggestions are welcome
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Going even further (some people are going to hate me... :mrgreen:)

If those default values are good enough, it would even be better to remove that 'Switching modes' completely and just put 2 options in 'View' instead:
- Default View: Windowed / Fullscreen (ie: when double-clicking/Enter)
- Close View when switching to Browser [X]
(the 'alternate' shift+click/key would use the complementary behaviour. Middle-Click/Tab would be hard-coded for Fullscreen<>Windowed view)

Olivier

Post by Guest »

Olivier_G wrote: - Close View when switching to Browser [X]
fits my needs :mrgreen:!
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Anonymous wrote:
Olivier_G wrote: - Close View when switching to Browser [X]
fits my needs :mrgreen:!
Right, just this small option.

I disagree with Olivier, some users (incl. me) need these options (switching modes).

I use MMB/Enter to switch between Viewer/browser.
And LMB double-click/F11/(F) to switch between fullscreen/non-fullscreen.

Enter to switch between browser/viewer/fullscreen is also nice option.

Anyway, I like an idea to use Tab as another "switch" key, but I'd prefer another option, because I'd like to use it to switch between viewer/browser.

Double-click/(Alt+) Enter is used to switch to and from fullscreen in other programs (video players...). MMB/Tab is used to switch between 2 non-fullscreen modes.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Dreamer, I believe the 'Switching modes' is not really useful: more thoughts to find a good mouse/key behaviour would be better.

My suggestion is:
- Browser -> View (normal) : Enter | LMB double click
- Browser -> View (fullscreen) : shift+Enter | Shift+LMB double click | F11
- Keep View -> Browser : Enter | LMB double click
- Close View -> Browser : shift+Enter | Shift+LMB double click | Esc
- Normal<>Fullscreen : F11 | MMB
(with default options: 'Default View'=Windowed and 'Close View by default when switching to Browser'=[ ])
And you don't need to show those behaviours anywhere in the options as they are standard... except for the shift+ which can simply be documented in Help file and Hints.

If you set 'Default View'=Fullscreen, the first two actions will change to:
- Browser -> View (fullscreen) : Enter | LMB double click | F11
- Browser -> View (normal) : Shift+Enter | Shift+LMB double click
(and you don't need to show that anywhere because the main action (ie: Enter/LMB DC) directly follow what is labelled)

If you set 'Close View by default when switching to Browser'=[X], the following 2 actions will change to:
- Close View -> Browser : Enter | LMB double click | Esc
- Keep View -> Browser : Shift+Enter | Shift+LMB double click

The goal is to provide a standard/easy way to use XnView with flexibility, without having to rely on specific options.

Olivier
PS: I believe the real deal for customization would be a panel with the list of all functions/actions with 2 or more key/mouse for each of them...

Edit: I changed the message to make it more understandable and avoid misunderstanding... hopefully.
Last edited by Olivier_G on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Olivier, I still don't understand... Do you want replace 'Switching modes' with options 'Standard' and 'Alternative'? If so, I strongly disagree.
PS: I believe the real deal for customization would be a panel with the list of all functions/actions with 2 or more key/mouse for each of them...
I don't understand, you want custom shortcuts for all actions, but you want remove few existing too??

I think it's important to have custom actions for Enter, double-click and MMB. We could even add more, at least for important actions, not remove existing.

If you just want to make it clearer, we could add these options:

(o) Standard ( ) Alternative ( ) Custom

Options for Enter and mouse buttons should be greyed out for first two options, but there are more combinations (and will be maybe even more (Tab?...)), so we need custom 'Switching modes'.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Dreamer wrote:Olivier, I still don't understand... Do you want replace 'Switching modes' with options 'Standard' and 'Alternative'? If so, I strongly disagree.
I changed my previous message to make it clearer...
I suggest to remove 'switching modes' and replace all this by two simpler options (cf:Default view.... and Close View...) while using the obvious standard Open/Close/Switch proposed above and providing the alternative Shift+ actions for convenience.
Dreamer wrote:
Olivier_G wrote:PS: I believe the real deal for customization would be a panel with the list of all functions/actions with 2 or more key/mouse for each of them...
I don't understand, you want custom shortcuts for all actions, but you want remove few existing too?
I think it's important to have custom actions for Enter, double-click and MMB. We could even add more, at least for important actions, not remove existing.
I believe the 'Switching modes' is flawed. That its logic is inappropriate and that building upon it is a mistake.

Here is why:
- it is based on key/mouse instead of simple actions
- it provides complex behaviours: Browser<>Fullscreen|Viewer<>Fullscreen and all the questions that follow about "which Fullscreen I am in?" "What happen if I switch from Fullscreen started in Explorer" & co. The Cycles Browser>Viewer>Fullscreen... are not that obvious either, nor standard.
- Those complex actions are more difficult to understand and don't fit easily in the "Keyboard/Mouse (shortcut manager)" many people want.

I suggest to limit flexibility a little, in order to simplify things. I believe it will improve ease of use for most users.
(and the Keyboard/Mouse Manager will provide all the flexibility needed when/if implemented)

Olivier
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Olivier_G wrote:I believe the 'Switching modes' is flawed. That its logic is inappropriate and that building upon it is a mistake.

Here is why:
- it is based on key/mouse instead of simple actions
- it provides complex behaviours: Browser<>Fullscreen|Viewer<>Fullscreen and all the questions that follow about "which Fullscreen I am in?" "What happen if I switch from Fullscreen started in Explorer" & co. The Cycles Browser>Viewer>Fullscreen... are not that obvious either, nor standard.
- Those complex actions are more difficult to understand and don't fit easily in the "Keyboard/Mouse (shortcut manager)" many people want.
But this is all 'two fullscreen modes' problem, not 'Switching modes'! There will be just one fullscreen mode soon(?).
I suggest to limit flexibility a little, in order to simplify things. I believe it will improve ease of use for most users.
(and the Keyboard/Mouse Manager will provide all the flexibility needed when/if implemented)
Yes, if implemented.

What about this?

Options for Enter and mouse buttons should be greyed out for first two options, but there are more combinations (and will be maybe even more (Tab?...)), so we need custom 'Switching modes'.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Dreamer wrote:But this is all 'two fullscreen modes' problem, not 'Switching modes'!
No. A single 'type of fullscreen' will not change anything about my previous comments: the logic stay the same.
Dreamer wrote:What about this?
Options for Enter and mouse buttons should be greyed out for first two options
Do you mean something like?

Code: Select all

(o) Standard   ( ) Alternative   ( ) Custom
Use double click to
Use middle mouse click to
Use ENTER to
I don't particularly like it because my suggestion was to remove completely that 'Switching modes' to simplify things. Not to add ever more...
It also looks like developping some kind of cheap shortcut/key/mouse Manager... but in the other way round! (focus should be on actions, that you attach to one or more key/mouse... instead of focusing on key/mouse and creating complex actions for them)

All this being said, there is a need for flexibility and until a real 'Shortcut Manager' is implemented, my suggestion is probably a step backward. :(
Therefore, I stop it here for now... and expect that this Shortcut Manager will arrive soon (even a small one at first, just handling those very actions correctly!). It might be worth a new thread... :)

Olivier