REQ: Main icon

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
EgoSun
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 4:26 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

REQ: Main icon

Post by EgoSun » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:44 pm

It just doesn't look fine, especially with new Mezich skin. Such nice toolbar icons and this "Win98-Style" or "OldSchool" main icon. Let's change it in the name of the beauty. BTW, XnView Deluxe 2 main icon is very nice. :mrgreen:

PS. Next victim will be menu bar MDI icon.

scratch
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: USA

Post by scratch » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:59 pm

i agree. it would be nice to see this at least updated.

p.s. menu bar mdi icon needs to go away.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30684
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: REQ: Main icon

Post by xnview » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:55 am

EgoSun wrote:It just doesn't look fine, especially with new Mezich skin. Such nice toolbar icons and this "Win98-Style" or "OldSchool" main icon. Let's change it in the name of the beauty. BTW, XnView Deluxe 2 main icon is very nice. :mrgreen:
Yes, i have asked to a designer to modify current icon
PS. Next victim will be menu bar MDI icon.
Currently i can't remove it
Pierre.

User avatar
robc
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Post by robc » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:41 am

What about the new main icon? At least we should remove the "square button" look IMHO, it's annoying to look at it on a taskbar button when XnView is running... the current one, just removing the grey button and making the background transparent, should be nice.

ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2439
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Location: Cabarlah Australia
Contact:

Post by ckit » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:53 am

robc, if you can make the icon I'll hex edit my copy of "xnview.exe" cause I must admit I'm sick of the main icon as well.
Windows 10 Pro x64 1809, Malwarebytes Premium, Process Lasso Pro
XnView Classic, Paint.NET and PhotoFiltre Studio X

User avatar
robc
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Post by robc » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:59 am

Er... actually I've already tried to change it with TGTSoft's ResEdit, but it crashes upon trying to read xnview.exe... it seems the problem's not making the icon but replacing it :(

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Post by ckv » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:53 pm

[Offtopic]
XnView is packed / protect with ASPack. Without it xnview.exe would be about twice as bigger than now and most of the resources (icons, bitmaps, menus, dialogs...) could be easily replaced / modified. :?

In exchange ASPack gives smaller file size, bigger memory usage (In some rare cases four times bigger than normal :? ) and mild protection for wannabe hackers. And if I start to nitpicking, ASPack also gives more often warnings and false positives from AVs (Anti-Virus) (Try scan XnView.exe in http://virusscan.jotti.org/) and AVs can spend (in some cases) a very long time to scan packed file and one thing is sure, exe packers don't improve stability (one more reason to crash).

If you really want, you can unpack ASPack or rip all the resources pretty easily, but still it don't "remove" ASPack from the exe.

I have nothing to against exe packers, I also use them in my programs. The difference is that my programs are small and are not meant to run long times unlike XnView. ASPack is Pierres choice and I not going to complain about it. But I still hope that, if Pierre uses ASPack only to get smaller file size, he would use UPX instead.

Reasons for this is:
- It's free.
- All Avs can recognize and unpack UPX, because it's open source.
- Those who want could easily unpack it.

But if Pierre also uses ASPack, because of the protection what it gives, ASPack is the right choice.

[/Offtopic]

Edit: To make it clear, this is totally offtopic.
Last edited by ckv on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

User avatar
robc
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Post by robc » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:36 am

Why the hassle of unpacking etc. when Pierre could do it for everybody? Come on, Pierre, please, change the icon... we'll use the completely new one when it's ready, but in the meantime let's use this or something like it (possibly better :P ).
Here is the standard icon with the "square button" removed, containing images for 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 sizes (Right click on the icon and choose "save target as..." otherwise you just get the 16x16 image displayed on a blank page). It's nothing more than the original icon with the grey pixels substituted by transparent pixels... for sure most anybody else can do a better work :wink:

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 30684
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:10 pm

robc wrote:Why the hassle of unpacking etc. when Pierre could do it for everybody? Come on, Pierre, please, change the icon... we'll use the completely new one when it's ready, but in the meantime let's use this or something like it (possibly better :P ).
Here is the standard icon with the "square button" removed, containing images for 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 sizes (Right click on the icon and choose "save target as..." otherwise you just get the 16x16 image displayed on a blank page). It's nothing more than the original icon with the grey pixels substituted by transparent pixels... for sure most anybody else can do a better work :wink:
Your icon doesn't works very well on win2K :-(
Pierre.

User avatar
robc
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Post by robc » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:22 pm

I made it very quickly with a program that defaults to 32bit alpha channel icons, that's the reason... it was just a test, didn't think of that at first: if you're really going to change the icon, I could make a better one in a couple of days. Just tell me if you prefer single icons for the various sizes or a single one containing all. In the weekend I'll make some test icons with 16bit and 24bit images to work OK also in pre-XP Windows versions (it's easy since the image does not use the alpha channel at all), I'll email them to you as soon as possible.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:18 pm

robc wrote:I made it very quickly with a program that defaults to 32bit alpha channel icons, that's the reason... it was just a test, didn't think of that at first: if you're really going to change the icon, I could make a better one in a couple of days. Just tell me if you prefer single icons for the various sizes or a single one containing all. In the weekend I'll make some test icons with 16bit and 24bit images to work OK also in pre-XP Windows versions (it's easy since the image does not use the alpha channel at all), I'll email them to you as soon as possible.
Nice icon, maybe even better IMO. You could try white background instead of grey maybe. It's not easy to make good looking icon since it's orange...

ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2439
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Location: Cabarlah Australia
Contact:

Post by ckit » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:48 pm

Black background with the orange logo would look awesome.
Windows 10 Pro x64 1809, Malwarebytes Premium, Process Lasso Pro
XnView Classic, Paint.NET and PhotoFiltre Studio X

User avatar
robc
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Post by robc » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:47 pm

Sorry guys, the point is NOT to have any background... at least not square, it looks too ugly on the titlebar, on the taskbar buttons, everywhere. If I make some kind of background I need to choose a shape, then choose some kind of "transition" between the background and the transparent portion of the icon, etc... since I'm neither an artist nor a graphics professional, the results would not be good, I'm afraid. Simply removing the current background and keeping the current image is easy, and that's what I did. Furthermore, I made some tests and the image without background to me looks nice both on a white background and on dark colors, so there should be no problem even if the predominant color is orange.

User avatar
robc
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Re: REQ: Main icon

Post by robc » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:24 pm

xnview wrote:
EgoSun wrote:It just doesn't look fine, especially with new Mezich skin. Such nice toolbar icons and this "Win98-Style" or "OldSchool" main icon. Let's change it in the name of the beauty. BTW, XnView Deluxe 2 main icon is very nice. :mrgreen:
Yes, i have asked to a designer to modify current icon
PS. Next victim will be menu bar MDI icon.
Currently i can't remove it
I forgot that... you cannot remove it but probably you can make its background transparent, to avoid seeing white around the folder tree, or use the same icon as the main icon. BTW, how's the Deluxe icon?

I've emailed the corrected icons this afternoon, hope this time they work, Pierre, I haven't a Win2K handy at the moment.

Post Reply