Standard Values for JPG-Compression and EXIF/IPTC settings

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

surfacecleanerz

Standard Values for JPG-Compression and EXIF/IPTC settings

Post by surfacecleanerz »

In most cases one wants full quality JPG images, this means 100% JPG quality, when saving a file after correction of gamma etc.

But sometimes one wants to create web-optimized JPGs with smaller file size. So one have to set the JPG compression to e.g. 40%.
But after setting this to 40%, it stays on this value . So the next JPG file, you store gets this setting, too, without question.
Thats why I think a global standard value for these settings is a feature XNView needs, if possible, for its next release.
This standard value is then always used by default. Only if one specifies an other value, this other value is then used for just this specific file.

I hope you get, what I want to describe ;-)
Stefan
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Standard Values for JPG-Compression and EXIF/IPTC settin

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote:In most cases one wants full quality JPG images, this means 100% JPG quality, when saving a file after correction of gamma etc.

But sometimes one wants to create web-optimized JPGs with smaller file size. So one have to set the JPG compression to e.g. 40%.
But after setting this to 40%, it stays on this value . So the next JPG file, you store gets this setting, too, without question.
Thats why I think a global standard value for these settings is a feature XNView needs, if possible, for its next release.
This standard value is then always used by default. Only if one specifies an other value, this other value is then used for just this specific file.

I hope you get, what I want to describe ;-)
Stefan
So you would like 2 settings for File/write?
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Maybe add JPG-settings, where you can save and add your own JPG-presets in a pulldown-menu? You create and give them you own names. Like "JPG best qty"; "JPG web"; "JPG minimum" or whatever.

Another suggestion: why not put the JPG-slider for the quality in the save-dialog. This way, you dont have to go into the settings and change.

Anyway, I agree that it would be great to know what quality you've got in the save-dialog.
surfacecleanerz

No, I simply wanted to say: Why not putting the JPG quality slider into settings in the Write/JPG section. There one can set his own standard settings and in the case, one wants to change this settings (I meant the EXIF and the IPTC box as well), this can be done for the actual file in the save dialog via "extended" as yet.
A field, which lists the actual settings is a good enhancement. Why not add this, too.

I just want to save all my JPGs with 100%, as nearly everybody wants in most cases, and not with the last setting, set for that single file.

The same problem is with RGB corrections. This sliders remember their last settings, too. As described in another tab.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Hi Surface...

so you want to change quality for one specific image, without changing the overall JPG-settings? Good point. I think it is fairly related with my thoughts then, maybe not exactly the same but anyway.

Actually, I rarely save edited JPGs using 100%. I rather choose LWZ:ed TIFs when working with an image, and 40% JPGs when mailing copies. :wink:
surfacecleanerz

you get the point! I think it makes most sense this way!
And you mean LZW... ;-)

Tiff is good, but it uses too much space for most purposes. I'm using it for Astro images, too.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

surfacecleanerz wrote:No, I simply wanted to say: Why not putting the JPG quality slider into settings in the Write/JPG section.
I don't understand, you have it in option/Write/JPEG....
Pierre.
surfacecleanerz

yes, but I cannot change it just for the file I'm saving now, but just in general.
XNView should have two settings: the general setting, which is there yet and a setting, which is accessible via saving menu, where I can change the settings for just this single file and which are not saved as new general settings. This settings should then ONLY applied to that single file.

It's your turn to change the link in the saving dialog to the new setting, which is just for the recent file. And it would be nice, if you add something (a percentage) in the saving dialog, which gives the actual settings, which will be used for the recent file in case of clicking on save.
helmut

Post by helmut »

surfacecleanerz wrote:In most cases one wants full quality JPG images, this means 100% JPG quality, when saving a file after correction of gamma etc.

But sometimes one wants to create web-optimized JPGs with smaller file size. So one have to set the JPG compression to e.g. 40%. ...
Thank you for raising this issue. I also think that this is a problem. Other graphic programs have solved this by providing a menu item for exporting. Or the format list could have two entries for JPG and other lossy compression formations: One normal and one for exporting, e.g. "JPG - JPG / JIFF" and "JPG - JPG / JIF (Export)".

Personally I'd prefer having a separate "File > Export..." menu.
Olive

Post by Olive »

Sorry I'm not seeing what's the problem with how it is now. So they choose 40% in Options>Write or from the Options button in the Save As dialog, save, then when needed get back to 100% by the same means.

PS: 40% gives really lots of artifacts! If low size is important I suggest resizing instead. As for 100% I've found that using anything higher than 93% on my camera pics results in a file that's larger than the original =)
surfacecleanerz

@Olive: and whats in the case, you forgot to reset it to 100% and after saving it, you realize that and the original file is oversaved and you don't have a copy? That was it...

but just the filesize is not an argument for quality! cameras compress jpgs, too, I had to realize. But I think an low compressed JPG is even better than an 93% compressed one.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Well, my opinion is still that it would be easier and more intuitive to have a JPG-slider in the save-dialog. Something like this:
http://www.algonet.se/~marek/green/save.gif

Dont think any other program has this, wouldnt it be great? :wink:
Well, its easy to request a thing like this, don't know how hard it would be to program it.
surfacecleanerz

Why not! It's ok for me, too! But the Quality Value should be % (1-100). Then a filesize should be shown, too, as in PhotoImpact. I know this is harder to program, but it should be possible. And this is for the future. The compression is much more relevant!
And the progressive and EXIF selections should be made available in this dialog window, too.
Georg

Post by Georg »

See also http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=36713#36713: Buttons with favorite settings. IMHO quicker than a slider.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

Is the combination of "save (as)" (with standard quality) and "export wizard" (with selectable quality) of 1.90beta2 fulfilling your needs?