1.80 Create Webpage: Possible improvements

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

1.80 Create Webpage: Possible improvements

Post by helmut »

I just had a look at the WebTemplates. The templates give more flexibility and are far better than what we had so far (till 1.74), but there's still potential for improvement:

- Loop Directions without HTML
Currently, #THUMB_START# and #THUMB_END# are used for looping over the thumbnails, which is good and clear. But these directions also generate a <tr> and a </tr>, I think this should be done since this limits down the usage. This should be implemented in 1.80, since a later change would affect all existing WebTemplates and users' WebTemplates.

- CSS file
Nowadays, CSS is pretty standard. By default, a CSS file should come with each WebTemplate. This CSS file should be copied to the output directory. Think this should be also implemented in 1.80. (XnView could simply copy any file with extension .css found in Template folder to the output directory.)

- WebTemplate with parameter presseting
When using the current WebTemplate "Default - Frame", there are the thumbnails on the left side. I think the template works only well for Column = 1. I wonder whether each WebTemplate should have a file Parameter.txt which allows for setting specific parameters. Parameters which are not specified are not affected.

- Graphical buttons
The 'Previous', 'Next', and 'Thumbnails' buttons should be graphic buttons. There should be a possibility to include buttons instead of text. The buttons would be part of a WebTemplate.

- Thumbnail (Preview)
Would be good if the user had a small preview to see what the layout / design of the template will look like. For this, one or two thumbnails (overview + page) with a specific size and format could be placed in each Template folder.

That's some ideas...
Danny

Post by Danny »

I've already fiddled with the templates but haven't really done anything yet. My idea was to use the XNViews own .css file to make the default templates look similar to the webpage.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 1.80 Create Webpage: Possible improvements

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:- Loop Directions without HTML
Currently, #THUMB_START# and #THUMB_END# are used for looping over the thumbnails, which is good and clear. But these directions also generate a <tr> and a </tr>, I think this should be done since this limits down the usage. This should be implemented in 1.80, since a later change would affect all existing WebTemplates and users' WebTemplates.
Sorry i don't understand the problem...
- CSS file
Nowadays, CSS is pretty standard. By default, a CSS file should come with each WebTemplate. This CSS file should be copied to the output directory. Think this should be also implemented in 1.80. (XnView could simply copy any file with extension .css found in Template folder to the output directory.)
Currently all files found in template folder are copied, so you can add .css
ckit has send me some .css, so i'll use it
When using the current WebTemplate "Default - Frame", there are the thumbnails on the left side. I think the template works only well for Column = 1. I wonder whether each WebTemplate should have a file Parameter.txt which allows for setting specific parameters. Parameters which are not specified are not affected.

- Graphical buttons
The 'Previous', 'Next', and 'Thumbnails' buttons should be graphic buttons. There should be a possibility to include buttons instead of text. The buttons would be part of a WebTemplate.

- Thumbnail (Preview)
Would be good if the user had a small preview to see what the layout / design of the template will look like. For this, one or two thumbnails (overview + page) with a specific size and format could be placed in each Template folder.
Good but for a future version ;-)
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Suggestions will be postponed into next major release. For the first issue "Loop Directions without HTML" I'll double-check and create a new topic if needed. -> Postponed.

Re: 1.80 Create Webpage: Possible improvements

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:- Loop Directions without HTML
Sorry i don't understand the problem...
- CSS file
Currently all files found in template folder are copied, so you can add .css
ckit has send me some .css, so i'll use it

- Graphical buttons

- Thumbnail (Preview)
Good but for a future version ;-)
-= Mancubus =-

Pages in gallery

Post by -= Mancubus =- »

I don't see an option to create pages in that dialog. Will it be implemented?

Cause when the gallery is more that hundred pictures, it's needed, in my opinion.

Thanks for the great program!